WD Elements SE

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by William Brown, Jan 6, 2011.

  1. I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
    after its removed from the USB Port.?
     
    William Brown, Jan 6, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. "William Brown" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
    > after its removed from the USB Port.?


    This is non-standard. WinXP is designed to add an external USB
    icon to the Systray when a device is connected: and this icon has
    a menu (Right Click) to shut down by command.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs
    (Ottawa, Canada)
     
    Don Phillipson, Jan 6, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. William Brown

    Arno Guest

    William Brown <> wrote:


    > I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
    > after its removed from the USB Port.?


    Not at all. Use safe remove though.

    Arno
    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
    ----
    Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans
     
    Arno, Jan 6, 2011
    #3
  4. On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:46:25 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
    <> wrote:

    >"William Brown" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >
    >> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
    >> after its removed from the USB Port.?

    >
    >This is non-standard. WinXP is designed to add an external USB
    >icon to the Systray when a device is connected: and this icon has
    >a menu (Right Click) to shut down by command.




    I have all that and a better one Call USB Safely Remove, this is not
    what I am asking how long does the drive take to spin down so its safe
    to move..
     
    William Brown, Jan 7, 2011
    #4
  5. On 6 Jan 2011 14:19:02 GMT, Arno <> wrote:

    >William Brown <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
    >> after its removed from the USB Port.?

    >
    >Not at all. Use safe remove though.
    >
    >Arno




    Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better progam that XP, but the Drive
    light is still flashing, so after I unplug the drive is it safe to move
    or do I have to wait 10Mins..?
     
    William Brown, Jan 7, 2011
    #5
  6. William Brown

    Rod Speed Guest

    William Brown wrote
    > Arno <> wrote
    >> William Brown <> wrote


    >>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the
    >>> drive to shut down after its removed from the USB Port.?


    >> Not at all. Use safe remove though.


    > Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better
    > progam that XP, but the Drive light is still flashing,


    Then it isnt far better than XP.

    > so after I unplug the drive is it safe to move


    Nope.

    > or do I have to wait 10Mins..?


    You need to power down the drive before moving it if it isnt getting the power from the USB ports.
     
    Rod Speed, Jan 7, 2011
    #6
  7. William Brown

    Arno Guest

    William Brown <> wrote:
    > On 6 Jan 2011 14:19:02 GMT, Arno <> wrote:


    >>William Brown <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
    >>> after its removed from the USB Port.?

    >>
    >>Not at all. Use safe remove though.
    >>
    >>Arno



    > Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better progam that XP, but the Drive
    > light is still flashing, so after I unplug the drive is it safe to move
    > or do I have to wait 10Mins..?


    Ah, you have to unplug the power as well, wait about 30 seconds
    and then you can move it.

    Arno
    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
    ----
    Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans
     
    Arno, Jan 8, 2011
    #7
  8. William Brown

    Arno Guest

    Ian D <> wrote:

    > "William Brown" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> On 6 Jan 2011 14:19:02 GMT, Arno <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>William Brown <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
    >>>> after its removed from the USB Port.?
    >>>
    >>>Not at all. Use safe remove though.
    >>>
    >>>Arno

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better progam that XP, but the Drive
    >> light is still flashing, so after I unplug the drive is it safe to move
    >> or do I have to wait 10Mins..?


    > The heads park immediately, and the drive stops spinning almost
    > instantly when unplugged from the USB connector.


    They should. They not always do. Better unplug the power
    and wait about 30 seconds.

    > If you do
    > the safely remove procedure first, that should physically shut
    > down the drive.


    Huh? Since when? And why should it do that? Safe remove
    only flushes the OS buffers to disk.

    > In fact, if the drive is optimized for safe removal
    > in Device Manager, you don't need the safe removal process. Just
    > give it a few seconds after the last write, then unplug it, and you're
    > good to go.


    Not with regard to head parking and platter spining. That takes
    15 seconds or so, so better wait 30 seconds after power unplug.

    > If the drive is still flashing after running your safely remove
    > program, that app is obviously not working properly.


    I agree.

    Arno

    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
    ----
    Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans
     
    Arno, Jan 8, 2011
    #8
  9. William Brown

    Arno Guest

    William Brown <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:46:25 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
    > <> wrote:


    >>"William Brown" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>
    >>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
    >>> after its removed from the USB Port.?

    >>
    >>This is non-standard. WinXP is designed to add an external USB
    >>icon to the Systray when a device is connected: and this icon has
    >>a menu (Right Click) to shut down by command.




    > I have all that and a better one Call USB Safely Remove, this is not
    > what I am asking how long does the drive take to spin down so its safe
    > to move..


    The last time I looked this up in a drive datasheet, it was
    15 seconds after power has been removed. So better wait 30
    seconds after unplugging the power connection.

    Arno
    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
    ----
    Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans
     
    Arno, Jan 8, 2011
    #9
  10. William Brown

    Rod Speed Guest

    Arno wrote
    > Ian D <> wrote
    >> William Brown <> wrote
    >>> Arno <> wrote
    >>>> William Brown <> wrote


    >>>>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the
    >>>>> drive to shut down after its removed from the USB Port.?


    >>>> Not at all. Use safe remove though.


    >>> Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better progam that XP,
    >>> but the Drive light is still flashing, so after I unplug the drive is
    >>> it safe to move or do I have to wait 10Mins..?


    >> The heads park immediately, and the drive stops spinning
    >> almost instantly when unplugged from the USB connector.


    > They should. They not always do. Better unplug the power


    Yes.

    > and wait about 30 seconds.


    You dont need to wait that long.

    >> If you do the safely remove procedure first,
    >> that should physically shut down the drive.


    > Huh? Since when?


    Since forever.

    > And why should it do that?


    Because thats the way its designed to operate.

    > Safe remove only flushes the OS buffers to disk.


    It also sends a shut down command to the drive,
    and most drives will shut down when they get that.

    You can see that with drives that have an active led.

    >> In fact, if the drive is optimized for safe removal in Device
    >> Manager, you don't need the safe removal process. Just
    >> give it a few seconds after the last write, then unplug it,
    >> and you're good to go.


    > Not with regard to head parking and platter spining. That takes 15 seconds or so,


    No it doesnt with many drives.

    > so better wait 30 seconds after power unplug.


    You dont usually need to wait that long and you can check
    how long it takes for a particular drive to spin down by
    putting your hand on the drive, you can usually feel it.

    >> If the drive is still flashing after running your safely remove
    >> program, that app is obviously not working properly.


    > I agree.
     
    Rod Speed, Jan 8, 2011
    #10
  11. William Brown

    Rod Speed Guest

    Arno wrote
    > William Brown <> wrote
    >> Don Phillipson <> wrote
    >>> William Brown <> wrote


    >>>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the
    >>>> drive to shut down after its removed from the USB Port.?


    >>> This is non-standard. WinXP is designed to add an external USB
    >>> icon to the Systray when a device is connected: and this icon has
    >>> a menu (Right Click) to shut down by command.


    >> I have all that and a better one Call USB Safely Remove, this is not what
    >> I am asking how long does the drive take to spin down so its safe to move..


    > The last time I looked this up in a drive datasheet,
    > it was 15 seconds after power has been removed.


    You need to look at the datasheets of modern drives.

    > So better wait 30 seconds after unplugging the power connection.


    Better to feel low long it takes to spin down.
     
    Rod Speed, Jan 8, 2011
    #11
  12. William Brown

    Arno Guest

    Ian D <> wrote:

    > "Arno" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Ian D <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "William Brown" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> On 6 Jan 2011 14:19:02 GMT, Arno <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>William Brown <> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut
    >>>>>> down
    >>>>>> after its removed from the USB Port.?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Not at all. Use safe remove though.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Arno
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better progam that XP, but the Drive
    >>>> light is still flashing, so after I unplug the drive is it safe to move
    >>>> or do I have to wait 10Mins..?

    >>
    >>> The heads park immediately, and the drive stops spinning almost
    >>> instantly when unplugged from the USB connector.

    >>
    >> They should. They not always do. Better unplug the power
    >> and wait about 30 seconds.
    >>
    >>> If you do
    >>> the safely remove procedure first, that should physically shut
    >>> down the drive.

    >>
    >> Huh? Since when? And why should it do that? Safe remove
    >> only flushes the OS buffers to disk.
    >>
    >>> In fact, if the drive is optimized for safe removal
    >>> in Device Manager, you don't need the safe removal process. Just
    >>> give it a few seconds after the last write, then unplug it, and you're
    >>> good to go.

    >>
    >> Not with regard to head parking and platter spining. That takes
    >> 15 seconds or so, so better wait 30 seconds after power unplug.
    >>
    >>> If the drive is still flashing after running your safely remove
    >>> program, that app is obviously not working properly.

    >>
    >> I agree.
    >>
    >> Arno
    >>
    >> --
    >> Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    >>
    >> GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25
    >> 338F
    >> ----
    >> Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans


    > What I have found on any hard drive including the WD Passport,
    > is that, the instant power is removed, the heads park immediately.
    > The moment the servo coil loses current, the heads are moved
    > to the parking ramp, by the parking spring. That's to prevent a
    > head crash due to the rapid platter spin down. Also, all rotation is
    > lost in about 3 seconds, at most. Dynamic braking is used to stop
    > the platters.


    Then 5 seconds would be enough. However I doubt this number for
    3.5" drives. There is far too much rotational energy in the
    platter-stack. The 15 seconds is from one of the first Maxtor
    fluid-bearing 200GB HDDs where I read the technical drive manual.
    It seems these are difficult to get today, all you get is a
    2-3 page datasheet instead of the ~150 pages drive manual.

    > To confirm this I held a running WD Passport to my ear, then
    > pulled the USB plug. There was an instant "sproing" sound of
    > the heads parking, and all rotation ceased within 2 seconds.


    > The original question is somewhat irrelevant for current 2.5" drives
    > as most are designed to withstand up to 300 Gs while operating.
    > The WD Scorpios are. A 3 to 4 foot drop onto concrete might
    > produce a 100 G shock, at most, to a bare drive. Inside a portable
    > case, the shock would be less.


    Well, for 2.5" notebook drives, you are likely correct. For
    3.5" drives, the situation is a bit different. As there was
    talk about the drive LED being active after unplug, I assume
    an externally powered drive and that would in most case
    be 3.5".

    Incidentally, your G-force calculations are wrong. A bare drive
    onto concrete would be braked down (aluminum case deformation)
    in something like < 0.1mm onto concrete. That gives you a < 10cm
    maximum drop (about 1/4 foot for the metrically challenged),
    and possibly much less in practice, if the aluminum case hits in a
    way that it does not deform. Also note that this is for a very
    clean landing only, no spinning or bouncing.

    300G sounds like a lot, but HDDs are still raw eggs. It seems 10cm
    is also about what a raw egg can drop on a hard surface without
    breaking, although I have no idea how reliable this data is:

    http://professionaldevelopment.ibo.org/files/ocd/Egg_Dropping_Activity.pdf

    Arno
    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
    ----
    Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans
     
    Arno, Jan 8, 2011
    #12
  13. On 8 Jan 2011 01:39:22 GMT, Arno <> wrote:

    >William Brown <> wrote:
    >> On 6 Jan 2011 14:19:02 GMT, Arno <> wrote:

    >
    >>>William Brown <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
    >>>> after its removed from the USB Port.?
    >>>
    >>>Not at all. Use safe remove though.
    >>>
    >>>Arno

    >
    >
    >> Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better progam that XP, but the Drive
    >> light is still flashing, so after I unplug the drive is it safe to move
    >> or do I have to wait 10Mins..?

    >
    >Ah, you have to unplug the power as well, wait about 30 seconds
    >and then you can move it.
    >
    >Arno



    Thanks

    That's this it what I was thinking.

    Info on USB Safely Remove


    http://safelyremove.com/


    Devices can be turned off a on Again, as long as they are not unplugged
    and it list all USB devices that are connected to the PC.

    I know it works with my 2 Seagate USB drives as the light goes out.

    Will have to double check with the WD drive.
     
    William Brown, Jan 8, 2011
    #13
  14. On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 22:48:17 -0500, "Ian D" <> wrote:

    >
    >"Arno" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Ian D <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "William Brown" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> On 6 Jan 2011 14:19:02 GMT, Arno <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>William Brown <> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut
    >>>>>> down
    >>>>>> after its removed from the USB Port.?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Not at all. Use safe remove though.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Arno
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better progam that XP, but the Drive
    >>>> light is still flashing, so after I unplug the drive is it safe to move
    >>>> or do I have to wait 10Mins..?

    >>
    >>> The heads park immediately, and the drive stops spinning almost
    >>> instantly when unplugged from the USB connector.

    >>
    >> They should. They not always do. Better unplug the power
    >> and wait about 30 seconds.
    >>
    >>> If you do
    >>> the safely remove procedure first, that should physically shut
    >>> down the drive.

    >>
    >> Huh? Since when? And why should it do that? Safe remove
    >> only flushes the OS buffers to disk.
    >>
    >>> In fact, if the drive is optimized for safe removal
    >>> in Device Manager, you don't need the safe removal process. Just
    >>> give it a few seconds after the last write, then unplug it, and you're
    >>> good to go.

    >>
    >> Not with regard to head parking and platter spining. That takes
    >> 15 seconds or so, so better wait 30 seconds after power unplug.
    >>
    >>> If the drive is still flashing after running your safely remove
    >>> program, that app is obviously not working properly.

    >>
    >> I agree.
    >>
    >> Arno
    >>
    >> --
    >> Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    >>
    >> GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25
    >> 338F
    >> ----
    >> Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans

    >
    >What I have found on any hard drive including the WD Passport,
    >is that, the instant power is removed, the heads park immediately.
    >The moment the servo coil loses current, the heads are moved
    >to the parking ramp, by the parking spring. That's to prevent a
    >head crash due to the rapid platter spin down. Also, all rotation is
    >lost in about 3 seconds, at most. Dynamic braking is used to stop
    >the platters.
    >
    >To confirm this I held a running WD Passport to my ear, then
    >pulled the USB plug. There was an instant "sproing" sound of
    >the heads parking, and all rotation ceased within 2 seconds.
    >
    >The original question is somewhat irrelevant for current 2.5" drives
    >as most are designed to withstand up to 300 Gs while operating.
    >The WD Scorpios are. A 3 to 4 foot drop onto concrete might
    >produce a 100 G shock, at most, to a bare drive. Inside a portable
    >case, the shock would be less.



    Can these drives when Running handle a Earth Quake, as the After Shocks
    in Christchurch NZ has kill stacks of Hard Drives, into the hundreds I
    think.

    No I don't live any were near Christchurch but was on the TV news here.

    I had a fiend ? that lifted the WD drive up a few inches at a angle
    when it was running, my thinking that due to gyroscopic forces this
    might cause the heads to crash.?
     
    William Brown, Jan 8, 2011
    #14
  15. William Brown

    Arno Guest

    William Brown <> wrote:
    > Can these drives when Running handle a Earth Quake, as the After Shocks
    > in Christchurch NZ has kill stacks of Hard Drives, into the hundreds I
    > think.


    Earthquakes will not go into the mechanical shock magnitudes
    that HDDs cannot tolerate. The killed HDDs in NZ will be due
    to racks falling over, overheating, and power-surges. Earthquakes
    stay below 1G of acceleration.

    > No I don't live any were near Christchurch but was on the TV news here.


    > I had a fiend ? that lifted the WD drive up a few inches at a angle
    > when it was running, my thinking that due to gyroscopic forces this
    > might cause the heads to crash.?


    That is a risk, but due to better bearings, this risk is small.
    You need to apply significant acceleration for this to happen
    today.

    Arno
    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
    ----
    Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans
     
    Arno, Jan 8, 2011
    #15
  16. William Brown

    Rod Speed Guest

    William Brown wrote:
    > On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 22:48:17 -0500, "Ian D" <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "Arno" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> Ian D <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "William Brown" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> On 6 Jan 2011 14:19:02 GMT, Arno <> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> William Brown <> wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to
    >>>>>>> shut down
    >>>>>>> after its removed from the USB Port.?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Not at all. Use safe remove though.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Arno
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better progam that XP, but
    >>>>> the Drive light is still flashing, so after I unplug the drive is
    >>>>> it safe to move or do I have to wait 10Mins..?
    >>>
    >>>> The heads park immediately, and the drive stops spinning almost
    >>>> instantly when unplugged from the USB connector.
    >>>
    >>> They should. They not always do. Better unplug the power
    >>> and wait about 30 seconds.
    >>>
    >>>> If you do
    >>>> the safely remove procedure first, that should physically shut
    >>>> down the drive.
    >>>
    >>> Huh? Since when? And why should it do that? Safe remove
    >>> only flushes the OS buffers to disk.
    >>>
    >>>> In fact, if the drive is optimized for safe removal
    >>>> in Device Manager, you don't need the safe removal process. Just
    >>>> give it a few seconds after the last write, then unplug it, and
    >>>> you're good to go.
    >>>
    >>> Not with regard to head parking and platter spining. That takes
    >>> 15 seconds or so, so better wait 30 seconds after power unplug.
    >>>
    >>>> If the drive is still flashing after running your safely remove
    >>>> program, that app is obviously not working properly.
    >>>
    >>> I agree.
    >>>
    >>> Arno
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    >>>
    >>> GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50
    >>> 1E25 338F
    >>> ----
    >>> Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan
    >>> Evans

    >>
    >> What I have found on any hard drive including the WD Passport,
    >> is that, the instant power is removed, the heads park immediately.
    >> The moment the servo coil loses current, the heads are moved
    >> to the parking ramp, by the parking spring. That's to prevent a
    >> head crash due to the rapid platter spin down. Also, all rotation is
    >> lost in about 3 seconds, at most. Dynamic braking is used to stop
    >> the platters.
    >>
    >> To confirm this I held a running WD Passport to my ear, then
    >> pulled the USB plug. There was an instant "sproing" sound of
    >> the heads parking, and all rotation ceased within 2 seconds.
    >>
    >> The original question is somewhat irrelevant for current 2.5" drives
    >> as most are designed to withstand up to 300 Gs while operating.
    >> The WD Scorpios are. A 3 to 4 foot drop onto concrete might
    >> produce a 100 G shock, at most, to a bare drive. Inside a portable
    >> case, the shock would be less.

    >
    >
    > Can these drives when Running handle a Earth Quake, as the After
    > Shocks in Christchurch NZ has kill stacks of Hard Drives, into the
    > hundreds I think.


    > No I don't live any were near Christchurch but was on the TV news here.


    > I had a fiend ? that lifted the WD drive up a few inches at a angle
    > when it was running, my thinking that due to gyroscopic forces this
    > might cause the heads to crash.?


    Nope, the most it might do is affect the bearings, not the heads.
     
    Rod Speed, Jan 8, 2011
    #16
  17. William Brown

    Ed Light Guest

    On 1/8/2011 7:17 AM, Arno wrote:

    > Earthquakes will not go into the mechanical shock magnitudes
    > that HDDs cannot tolerate. The killed HDDs in NZ will be due
    > to racks falling over, overheating, and power-surges. Earthquakes
    > stay below 1G of acceleration.


    How about being on a machine with a motor, like a refrigerator, or a
    subwoofer? Or something that buzzes?
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.
     
    Ed Light, Jan 8, 2011
    #17
  18. William Brown

    Rod Speed Guest

    Ed Light wrote
    > Arno wrote


    >> Earthquakes will not go into the mechanical shock magnitudes
    >> that HDDs cannot tolerate. The killed HDDs in NZ will be due
    >> to racks falling over, overheating, and power-surges. Earthquakes
    >> stay below 1G of acceleration.


    > How about being on a machine with a motor, like a refrigerator,


    Those motors are adequately spring mounted and survive earthquakes fine.

    > or a subwoofer?


    Those arent even affected by eathquakes, the cone mounts are
    plenty strong enough because the cone weights are so low.

    > Or something that buzzes?


    Bees are earthquake proof as long as the quake doesnt topple the hives.
     
    Rod Speed, Jan 8, 2011
    #18
  19. On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 13:58:29 -0800, Ed Light <>
    wrote:

    >On 1/8/2011 7:17 AM, Arno wrote:
    >
    >> Earthquakes will not go into the mechanical shock magnitudes
    >> that HDDs cannot tolerate. The killed HDDs in NZ will be due
    >> to racks falling over, overheating, and power-surges. Earthquakes
    >> stay below 1G of acceleration.

    >
    >How about being on a machine with a motor, like a refrigerator, or a
    >subwoofer? Or something that buzzes?




    These were just Home and Office PC's not rack ones at all.

    I see if I can find a link for this problem.
     
    William Brown, Jan 9, 2011
    #19
  20. William Brown

    Arno Guest

    Ed Light <> wrote:
    > On 1/8/2011 7:17 AM, Arno wrote:


    >> Earthquakes will not go into the mechanical shock magnitudes
    >> that HDDs cannot tolerate. The killed HDDs in NZ will be due
    >> to racks falling over, overheating, and power-surges. Earthquakes
    >> stay below 1G of acceleration.


    > How about being on a machine with a motor, like a refrigerator, or a
    > subwoofer? Or something that buzzes?


    Refrigerator: no problem at all, the motors are mounted in rubber.
    Subwoofer: Depends, but the sound may be a problem, see here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

    Any kind of "hard buzz" may be very problematic.

    Arno
    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
    ----
    Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans
     
    Arno, Jan 9, 2011
    #20
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Frank Williams
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    470
    Frank Williams
    Apr 3, 2012
  2. Franc Zabkar

    FAKE Western Digital Elements 2TB 2.5inch drives

    Franc Zabkar, Apr 29, 2012, in forum: Storage Devices
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    2,566
Loading...

Share This Page