    problems. I hope someone can help. I have been told that maybe I should
    reinstall SP2 over the one currently installed...is this advisable?
    Thanks for the feedback.

    Guest, Nov 27, 2004

  2. Sounds like some backdoor trojan to me. Do a virus scan.

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    marfers notes for windows xp

    Mark L. Ferguson, Nov 27, 2004

    I did many scans with different programs and nothing. Check the microsoft
    bulletin...

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=838884

    Guest, Nov 27, 2004

    PROBLEM SOLVED: I did a selective start-up and found that the program
    "SmartFix" from "DefendGate" causes the problem when you have the "System
    Intrusion Prevention" box checked (enabled). If it is not enabled then all is
    fine.

    Guest, Nov 28, 2004