WAV volume slider drops down for unknown reason??

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Ron Hirsch, Jan 16, 2009.

  1. Ron Hirsch

    Ron Hirsch Guest

    In my main computer system, where I used the sound system on the mobo when I
    built it in 2006, for some reason the WAV volume slider setting drops way
    down periodically for some unknown reason.

    I running XP Pro SP3, fully patched. The mobo is an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
    board.

    The sound system is Realtek AC97 Audio, which is on the mobo. I often play
    video tutorials, and I'll notice that the sound level is way down. Bringing
    up the Realtek Volume Control dialog box, I see that all the other 5 sliders
    are near the top (max volume) except the WAV slider, which is way down.
    Sliding it back up restores things to normal.

    But I can't figure out what changes that setting. Various media players do
    have a volume slider in them, but I've not seen that mess with the master
    volume setting in the WAV volume control.window.

    This is obviously not a problem of any consequence. But I always like to
    understand what's happening, when strange things happen.

    It's been doing this for a long time,

    Ron Hirsch

    Ron Hirsch, Jan 16, 2009

  2. Ron Hirsch

    smlunatick Guest

    On Jan 16, 6:05 pm, "Ron Hirsch" <>
    wrote:
    > In my main computer system, where I used the sound system on the mobo when I
    > built it in 2006, for some reason the WAV volume slider setting drops way
    > down periodically for some unknown reason.
    >
    > I running XP Pro SP3, fully patched. The mobo is an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
    > board.
    >
    > The sound system is Realtek AC97 Audio, which is on the mobo. I often play
    > video tutorials, and I'll notice that the sound level is way down. Bringing
    > up the Realtek Volume Control dialog box, I see that all the other 5 sliders
    > are near the top (max volume) except the WAV slider, which is way down.
    > Sliding it back up restores things to normal.
    >
    > But I can't figure out what changes that setting. Various media players do
    > have a volume slider in them, but I've not seen that mess with the master
    > volume setting in the WAV volume control.window.
    >
    > This is obviously not a problem of any consequence. But I always like to
    > understand what's happening, when strange things happen.
    >
    > It's been doing this for a long time,
    >
    > Ron Hirsch

    It has been previously posted that sometime SP3 might not like, or
    accept, the older drivers. Usually by updating the drivers, most
    sound card problem "post-SP3" seems to solve this problem.

    smlunatick, Jan 16, 2009

  3. Ron Hirsch

    Ron Hirsch Guest

    I doubt that it is a driver problem.

    This situation has occurred periodically since I built the machine, when XP
    was SP1.

    And, since it occurs only sporadically, there must be a "trigger" from
    something that causes it - at least that's what I would think.

    I just have no idea what the "trigger" might be.

    "smlunatick" <> wrote in message

    Ron Hirsch, Jan 16, 2009