Watch Your Back - Grinning Shark

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Third-Party Utilities' started by miasmal@gmail.com, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    This is a third party software used in conjunction with Outlook to
    strip "read-receipt requested" flags from Emails. Since the feature
    can't be turned off when Outlook is in Corporate mode, the only way to
    prevent sending any receipts is through this kind of software. Note-
    Grinning Shark software/website no longer active as of 12/31/04.

    I started using this back in 2002. I missed the author's email that he
    was no longer in the business as of end of 2004 - so now I am unable to
    install & run a copy of my older WYB software on my new PC as it
    requires internet registration. I didn't even get a chance to download
    the latest version. Does version 4.3 (I think that's the last one) do
    this internet registration as well? I really miss using it, I have OSK
    but it's not as good as WYB for Corporate Win2k/Outlook 2k.

    Anyone have a good working copy, or a way to get the program going past
    30 days?
     
    , Mar 16, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. wrote:
    > This is a third party software used in conjunction with Outlook to
    > strip "read-receipt requested" flags from Emails. Since the feature
    > can't be turned off when Outlook is in Corporate mode, the only way to
    > prevent sending any receipts is through this kind of software. Note-
    > Grinning Shark software/website no longer active as of 12/31/04.
    >
    > I started using this back in 2002. I missed the author's email that
    > he was no longer in the business as of end of 2004 - so now I am
    > unable to install & run a copy of my older WYB software on my new PC
    > as it requires internet registration. I didn't even get a chance to
    > download the latest version. Does version 4.3 (I think that's the
    > last one) do this internet registration as well? I really miss using
    > it, I have OSK but it's not as good as WYB for Corporate
    > Win2k/Outlook 2k.
    >
    > Anyone have a good working copy, or a way to get the program going
    > past 30 days?


    Try googling - that's the only advice I can offer.

    Many others miss this software too, but note that if you use Outlook 2003
    you don't need any 3rd party apps to do this anyway. And OL2003 is waaaay
    better than anything prior - OL2002/XP was good, but if you're on 2000 or
    prior, you should upgrade anyway as that's old stuff and no longer
    supported.
     
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Mar 19, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Guest

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    > Try googling - that's the only advice I can offer.
    >
    > Many others miss this software too, but note that if you use Outlook

    2003
    > you don't need any 3rd party apps to do this anyway. And OL2003 is

    waaaay
    > better than anything prior - OL2002/XP was good, but if you're on

    2000 or
    > prior, you should upgrade anyway as that's old stuff and no longer
    > supported.


    Yep, I have been googling.... switching to 2003 is not an option as the
    corporate standard here in the company is 2000. Even if we did move to
    2003, I'm sure they would find a way to restrict the "remove RR"
    option. I guess I'll stick with OSK and its associated limitations.
     
    , Mar 21, 2005
    #3
  4. wrote:
    > Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    >> Try googling - that's the only advice I can offer.
    >>
    >> Many others miss this software too, but note that if you use Outlook
    >> 2003 you don't need any 3rd party apps to do this anyway. And OL2003
    >> is waaaay better than anything prior - OL2002/XP was good, but if
    >> you're on 2000 or prior, you should upgrade anyway as that's old
    >> stuff and no longer supported.

    >
    > Yep, I have been googling.... switching to 2003 is not an option as
    > the corporate standard here in the company is 2000. Even if we did
    > move to 2003, I'm sure they would find a way to restrict the "remove
    > RR" option. I guess I'll stick with OSK and its associated
    > limitations.


    Ah. Well, if your company has a standard build (as it should), I'm surprised
    they'd let you install/use WYB anyway....and what's more, if you say that
    they would somehow remove the option to block read receipts in OL2003 it
    kind of tells me they don't want you to do this, right?

    Abide by your corporate standards. Do not PO your IT staff. Do not PO the
    waiter before he brings you your food. Common sense. ;-)
     
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Mar 22, 2005
    #4
  5. dBugged Guest

    >>Ah. Well, if your company has a standard build (as it should), I'm
    surprised
    they'd let you install/use WYB anyway....and what's more, if you say
    that
    they would somehow remove the option to block read receipts in OL2003
    it
    kind of tells me they don't want you to do this, right?

    Abide by your corporate standards. Do not PO your IT staff. Do not PO
    the
    waiter before he brings you your food. Common sense. ;-) <<

    Well said! I'd agree with that! I use WYB! daily, since we're stuck
    with one version prior to OL2003 and cannot install the new version.

    I've been a user of WYB! for several years also and was disappointed to
    hear about this program going away, but don't blame the guy for wanting
    to spend time with his family instead of in front of his computer. I
    know how that is. My wife beans me over the head when I sit in front
    of some of my favorite online games. I was lucky enough to snag a copy
    of the final version (kept slipping my mind to download it) before his
    site closed down some time in February. The final version didn't have
    the registration requirement, however the author requested that we not
    share this final version (4.4 is what my software says is the version
    of this final one).
     
    dBugged, Mar 23, 2005
    #5
  6. hisboyelroy Guest

    Are you willing to share a copy of the program?


    > I was lucky enough to snag a copy
    > of the final version (kept slipping my mind to download it) before his
    > site closed down some time in February. The final version didn't have
    > the registration requirement, however the author requested that we not
    > share this final version (4.4 is what my software says is the version
    > of this final one).
    >
     
    hisboyelroy, Mar 26, 2005
    #6
  7. dBugged Guest

    >> Are you willing to share a copy of the program?

    No, I am not willing to share. I don't think that would be fair to the
    author to share the software, especially when the author graciously
    asked us not to.
     
    dBugged, Mar 28, 2005
    #7
  8. Guest

    uggg, that bites - he should have sent a copy of the program (it's not
    that big) to every registered user. Not fair :-( I would have gladly
    paid the author 5x the registration fee (it was $12 back then) to send
    me the updated version before he disappeared. The program was _that_
    important to me. OSK has some limitations and slips by a RR or two on
    occasion. It also can't handle multiple mailboxes.

    Also I am in IT with sufficient privileges. If there was a simple fix
    via Registry to remove this grey-out section
    Tools.Options.Preferences.Email Options.Tracking Options - I would like
    to know, as I would have done so already.



    dBugged wrote:
    > >> Are you willing to share a copy of the program?

    >
    > No, I am not willing to share. I don't think that would be fair to

    the
    > author to share the software, especially when the author graciously
    > asked us not to.
     
    , Mar 29, 2005
    #8
  9. wrote:
    > uggg, that bites - he should have sent a copy of the program (it's not
    > that big) to every registered user.


    Why? I don't think Chrysler sent out Oldsmobiles to all prior purchasers,
    after they decided to discontinue the line... ;-)

    > Not fair :-(


    Didn't your mother tell you life wasn't fair? I think mine used to mention
    that at least twice a day. I think I was a pretty whiny kid.

    > I would have
    > gladly paid the author 5x the registration fee (it was $12 back then)
    > to send me the updated version before he disappeared. The program
    > was _that_ important to me. OSK has some limitations and slips by a
    > RR or two on occasion. It also can't handle multiple mailboxes.
    >
    > Also I am in IT with sufficient privileges. If there was a simple fix
    > via Registry to remove this grey-out section
    > Tools.Options.Preferences.Email Options.Tracking Options - I would
    > like to know, as I would have done so already.


    Nothing I know of, sorry. Hope your company decides to ditch OL2000 and move
    into the 21st c. soon!

    >
    >
    >
    > dBugged wrote:
    >>>> Are you willing to share a copy of the program?

    >>
    >> No, I am not willing to share. I don't think that would be fair to
    >> the author to share the software, especially when the author
    >> graciously asked us not to.
     
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Mar 29, 2005
    #9
  10. hisboyelroy Guest

    I guess I'm confused...your final copy has no registration requirement and
    your not willing to share?
    Did you pay for the final download? If so, then I understand not wanting to
    share, that would be
    piracy. If you did not pay, then I do not understand your
    decision...freeware is freeware.

    "dBugged" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >>> Are you willing to share a copy of the program?

    >
    > No, I am not willing to share. I don't think that would be fair to the
    > author to share the software, especially when the author graciously
    > asked us not to.
    >
     
    hisboyelroy, Mar 29, 2005
    #10
  11. dBugged Guest

    The author was a pretty nice guy (I helped on a few of the beta tests
    and cooresponded with him directly) and I'd hardly say he disappeared.
    Being a family man myself, his final note touched me. He did send a
    note out to all of his customers (I got one since I paid him $12 a few
    years ago for the software) that explained the situation and why he
    decided to stop selling the software. Registered users were provided
    with a site where they could go to download a special version that did
    not need to be activated so they could continue to use it without
    having to worry about it not being able to use it. I downloaded it
    right away and burnt it onto a CD. I think I also downloaded it in
    late January for my work pc, so I know that the download was at least
    provided for two months. The software wasn't freeware. I paid $12 for
    it and he offered us the final version so those who paid for the
    software wouldn't be out in the dark later on after his site closed. I
    always thought the $12 was a good deal. He asked that we not share the
    software, since he will only make it available to those users who
    rightfully paid for it. I thought that was a pretty fair request. At
    least he actually sent out a note and brought some closure to the
    software, unlike some other bigger companies that I've been hosed by
    over the past few years who just disappear without any explantion. I
    guess I didn't expect that much for only paying $12. If he had just
    disappeared that would have been a bummer, but heck it was just $12 and
    it hardly is anything for me to cry over.

    Oh, to the guy who said the author should have sent a copy of the
    software to everyone. Well, if you didn't get the email talking about
    this... how would you have expected an email to get through with the
    software attached? Sorry, couldn't resist that broken logic. Food for
    thought.

    Frankly, as others have stated, upgrading to OL2003 will also kill read
    receipts or using OSK, although I tried that software and it is a
    little dated, but it is workable.
     
    dBugged, Mar 29, 2005
    #11
  12. hisboyelroy Guest

    I completely understand the situation...if he ever contacts you again let
    him know that there
    is still a market for his software.

    OL2003 will block return receipts for Internet email only, not Exchange
    Sever...at least that's
    been my experience so far.

    Can you give some background on OSK? I have not heard of this utility.

    Thanks


    "dBugged" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    He did send a note out to all of his customers (I got one since I paid him
    $12 a few
    > years ago for the software) that explained the situation and why he
    > decided to stop selling the software. Registered users were provided
    > with a site where they could go to download a special version that did
    > not need to be activated so they could continue to use it without
    > having to worry about it not being able to use it. I downloaded it
    > right away and burnt it onto a CD. I think I also downloaded it in
    > late January for my work pc, so I know that the download was at least
    > provided for two months. The software wasn't freeware. I paid $12 for
    > it and he offered us the final version so those who paid for the
    > software wouldn't be out in the dark later on after his site closed. I
    > always thought the $12 was a good deal.


    > Frankly, as others have stated, upgrading to OL2003 will also kill read
    > receipts or using OSK, although I tried that software and it is a
    > little dated, but it is workable.
    >
     
    hisboyelroy, Mar 29, 2005
    #12
  13. dBugged Guest

    He never contacted me directly about his closure, last time I heard
    from him was the email that he sent out to all registered users. I
    understand his reasons for discontinuing the software. He wanted to
    spend more time with family. I'm not surprised by this, $12/copy for a
    hobby probably doesn't bring in that much and I'd bet he didn't have
    millions of customers using his software. Frankly, OL2003 eliminates
    most of the need for his software.

    OL2003 will block all types of read receipts. I have tested this
    myself and it will prevent exchange server receipts from being sent.
    Older versions of Outlook only seemed to block internet based receipts.
    I cannot give any background on OSK, I tried it a few years ago and
    didn't like it since it was limiting (I liked that stupid blaster
    feature in WYB!, although I was careful using it). I got a link
    through download.com, but tried again after you inquired and it doesn't
    come up anymore. As I recall, all it did was remove read receipts
    manually or automatically. That's all it did. However, based on your
    comments... if the software is still available that may be just enough
    to solve your problem.
     
    dBugged, Mar 30, 2005
    #13
  14. opus2008

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Registered user, now very sad

    Grr. I was a very happy, registered user of WYB!, but I lost the final copy I downloaded iin a hard drive crash. Now I'm left wanting. :(

    I don't suppose there's someone out there who would provide me a copy of the last version if I were to forward you my registration confirmation, is there? I love the product, and I miss it terribly.
     
    opus2008, Jun 30, 2005
    #14
  15. opus2008 <opus2008.1rgnnb@> wrote:

    > I don't suppose there's someone out there who would provide me a copy
    > of the last version if I were to forward you my registration
    > confirmation, is there? I love the product, and I miss it terribly.


    Why not contact the original vendor?
    --
    Brian Tillman
     
    Brian Tillman, Jul 1, 2005
    #15
  16. I think Grinning Shark's site says it all:

    Grinning Shark Software ceased operations on December 31st, 2004.

    All service, support, activations and registrations related to the
    Watch Your Back! software ceased at the end of January, 2005.

    We hope all our registered users took advantage of our email
    offer and had a chance to download the special version of the software
    that was designed to work even after our operations ceased (please note
    that this download is no longer available as of March 1st, 2005).


    "Brian Tillman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Why not contact the original vendor?
     
    Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook], Jul 1, 2005
    #16
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. CEO

    Get your Reminders on your Cellphone

    CEO, Oct 4, 2003, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Third-Party Utilities
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    569
  2. Jos

    I could really need your help on importing contacts into Outlook (Please?)

    Jos, Nov 14, 2003, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Third-Party Utilities
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    927
    Sue Mosher [MVP]
    Nov 17, 2003
  3. www.StreamWired.com

    Watch TV Online

    www.StreamWired.com, Jan 6, 2006, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Third-Party Utilities
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    563
    www.StreamWired.com
    Jan 6, 2006
  4. Watch Your Back - Outlook 2000 Client Utility

    , Nov 18, 2006, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Third-Party Utilities
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    496
  5. Dexter H.

    Watch NFL Games Online

    Dexter H., Oct 14, 2007, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Third-Party Utilities
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    438
    Dexter H.
    Oct 14, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page