Watch Dogs

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
http://watchdogs.ubi.com/watchdogs/en-us/home/index.aspx

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243470/

Set in Chicago, where a central network of computers connects everyone and everything, Watch_Dogs explores the impact of technology within our society. Using the city as your weapon, you will embark on a personal mission to inflict your own brand of justice.

Chicago's overarching network is known as the Central Operating System (ctOS), and it controls almost all of the city's technology and information - including key data on all of the city's residents.

You play as Aiden Pearce, a brilliant hacker and former thug, whose criminal past led to a violent family tragedy. While seeking justice for those events, you'll monitor and hack those around you by manipulating the ctOS from the palm of your hand. You'll access omnipresent security cameras, download personal information to locate a target, control traffic lights and public transportation to stop the enemy... and more.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Quite tempted by this, from reading around though it need a bit of a patch as its a bit buggy. ...and it uses Ubisoft's Uplay.....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Same goes for me, almost bought it until I read all the user reports. Mate of mine has it though and he says it's good although he reckons the driving parts are awful.

Think I'll wait until all probs sorted or it comes down in price.

And also, I've never been mad keen on games with hacking tbh

Reaction score
Same goes for me, almost bought it until I read all the user reports. Mate of mine has it though and he says it's good although he reckons the driving parts are awful.

Think I'll wait until all probs sorted or it comes down in price.

And also, I've never been mad keen on games with hacking tbh

WAIT on this game. I got it free with my new GPU and the amount of stutter makes the game completely unplayable. Driving is basically impossible on any setting except "Medium" textures, and this makes the game look like a PS3 game.
Give it a few weeks I reckon. Also the game itself seems like a bland knock off of GTA, but that's just my opinion - your results may vary!

CSB

Reaction score
What is going on with PC ports. Are they really just chucking these things onto a disc and hoping for the best???

I like it but looks like unless you have a 780 and latest i7, you're going to have problems. I agree with Naylor that it looks very much like GTA with hacking skills. However, you could say every driving game is just another replica with different looking graphics and characters. I hope it gets sorted and I'm still waiting for GTAV to be released on the PC.

Reaction score
What is going on with PC ports. Are they really just chucking these things onto a disc and hoping for the best???

I like it but looks like unless you have a 780 and latest i7, you're going to have problems. I agree with Naylor that it looks very much like GTA with hacking skills. However, you could say every driving game is just another replica with different looking graphics and characters. I hope it gets sorted and I'm still waiting for GTAV to be released on the PC.

I think the main problem with PC ports is that PC hardware is getting better and better almost on a monthly basis and developers are getting lazy at optimising games for the PC, as they rely on people having top-end hardware.
This creates situations like Watch Dogs, where you get a game that looks like a mid-range console game but it requires ridiculous hardware to run. To be honest, it is getting ridiculous.
Looking at PC-only games like The Witcher 2 and the upcoming Star Citizen shows you what you can actually do (graphically) with decent hardware, yet we're stuck with these crappy ports for many games that programmers are seemingly not arsed enough to optimise properly. It's a sad state of affairs really.
With the way Watch Dogs looks, it could have easily run on a low end system if it was optimised properly. Setting the Textures option to "Ultra" results in over 3GB of Vram being used on my 780Ti and the textures are still blurry, washed out and stutter like hell. Ugh.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted about this, as I was considering getting it! May hang on a while before taking the plunge, or even pick it up on Console one day :eek:.

Reaction score
I'm glad you posted about this, as I was considering getting it! May hang on a while before taking the plunge, or even pick it up on Console one day :eek:.

Maybe it's because the stuttering and poor visuals are taking my enjoyment out of the game. I've played it for a couple of hours, but easily spent double that tinkering with ini settings, trawling forums and adding command lines to the game's shortcuts in order to try and get it working properly.
Installing that sound card was a breeze compared to getting this bloody game to work properly!
It really is a shame, as the game does have potential, but every time anything stutters or goes wrong with it, the immersion is destroyed and I'm back to browsing forums to see if anything has been fixed yet. :mad:
I'll update you if a patch is released that fixes anything!

CSB

Reaction score
Cheeky so and so they are. Don't bring us graphic demos which you know for well won't make it to the consoles. The Dev Kit demos at the shows were clearly all done on a very powerful PC set up which surpasses the PS4/XBOX ONE hardware in many ways.

People should be able to claim like the adverts you see for miss sold insurance etc lol

Ask a Question