Want to set SBS 2008 as Master browser. Enable Network browsing

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by Aspen CE, Oct 15, 2009.

  1. Aspen CE

    Aspen CE Guest

    Having an Issue with Network Browsing

    The Network has two servers currently on the Domain EXAMPLE

    Server A runs active directory, DHCP , DNS, Exchange and pretty much everything that a domain controller runs. (is SBS 2008 SP1)

    Server B is a defunct server and has been in place before I came in to look at the network. It has some shared folders and that?s about it. (is Windows Server 2003 SP2)

    I am having issue with Client computers not able to browse the network if they go to
    Network Places >> Entire Network >> Microsoft Windows Network >> EXAMPLE

    Getting the following error
    Example is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

    The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently not available

    Information Gathered so far

    On the SBS 2008 server manager console
    1. under Features >> WINS >> Active Registrations I don?t see EXAMPLE Listed as Domain Controller as well as Master Browser
    (I say this by looking at a similar deployment that works fine and has the domain name listed as domain controller and master Browser)
    EXAMPLE is only listed as Type [00h] Workgroup and IP address point to Server B

    2. Coming back on track, Under Active directory Users and Computers, the DC type for server A is GC whereas that for server B is DC

    3. When I run a browstat status on the domain I get
    Browsing is not active on the Domain
    Master Browser is held by: B
    Master Browser is running build 3790

    4. On Server B registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\IsDomainMaster has been set to FALSE.

    5. For Some reason IsDomainMaster key was not found in Server A registry (dunno if it?s a SBS 2008 thing)

    Action items

    1. I want to have server A as the master browser

    2. Browsing needs to be enabled under browstat status and master browser pointing to server A

    Please let me know if more troubleshooting info is required.

    How to make your Web Site More Googly
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...b-e3ffb0363ac0/how-to-make-your-web-site.aspx

    Aspen CE, Oct 15, 2009

  2. By default, computer browser is disabled in windows 2008. This search result
    may help.

    Computer Browser service is disabled on Windows Server 20081 post - 1
    author - Last post: Sep 17, 2008
    By default, Computer Browser service is disabled on Windows Server
    2008. If you need the machine to be a domain master browser server (on ...
    www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=4940

    --
    Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), Oct 15, 2009

  3. Aspen CE

    Anteaus Guest

    SBS uses DNS to locate computers. Do a nslookup on the hostname of each
    computer. If it cannot be located then your DNS is set-up incorrectly.

    Key points to check:

    Each computer which needs to be found should have an A record and PTR record
    on the local DNS service. This should happen automatically if the computers
    are joined to the domain. If not you need to do this manually.

    On the client, the SBS should be the preferred DNS server, and the domain
    suffix should be correctly set.

    Though, I would suggest you drop this method of working entirely, and use a
    logon script to determine network resources. Sometimes the old methods are
    the ones that cut the mustard.

    --
    "This is a wonderful computer. It''s 20yrs old and absolutely reliable.

    Anteaus, Oct 20, 2009