Wanna Buy an XBox Photo for £470..... Someone did

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just a little snippet i came across whilst crawling the net early this morning....... Hope nobody else falls for tricks like these....;)

Dirty rotten Scammers....They want locking up....:mad:

December 20, 2005
blank.gif

Xbox Photos X-pensive On eBay
blank.gif

blank.gif

By K.C. Jones Courtesy of TechWeb News
blank.gif

An eBay shopper from New York paid more than $600 for a photograph of an Xbox, thinking it was the real thing.

New York media reported that the shopper, who believed she was actually purchasing the real thing as a holiday gift, cried when she received a piece of paper instead of a gaming console. It's not the first time a scammer has capitalized on the shortage of the prized game consoles through the online auction site.

Another buyer paid more than $800, according to gizmodo earlier this month. And, it looks like the scam has crossed the pond, where a London buyer reportedly paid £470.

One eBay offer showed an image and had the words "photo of picture of Xbox" beneath it. The New York shopper told reporters that she followed up with an email and the respondent claimed it was a typo. She then believed she would receive an actual Xbox.

eBay did not immediately respond to inquiries about the matter. The company has been removing Xbox scam listings when it determines the descriptions are misleading or deceptive. That includes listings for the box holding the game console instead of the actual Xbox.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All wannabe X-Box 360 purchasers should wait until Spring.

By then maybe some decent games will be available and the release of the PS3 will probably mean prices will drop.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I hope the PC doesn't become redundant with the release of the 360 and PS3 - I like PC gaming far too much!

As this is a high profile case, the ebayer in question will probably get their money back - however I bet a few people fall for it and don't see a penny of it ever again!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Huh! ... yeah, right

As this is a high profile case, the ebayer in question will probably get their money back
... you must think E-Bay care. ;)

I would love to see evidence of them getting a refund ... but I think you'll find you're on your own.

:rolleyes:

Reaction score
As I have said in previous threads> if you buy from Ebay you are simply asking for trouble>:eek: do people listen NO!!!!! Doh????:rolleyes:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thats right Itsme.....As for me i don,t think i have ever made a purchase from ebay which totalled more than 20 quid...My motto is (if you can't afford to lose it don't use it)..;)

I think the odd very small purchase is ok but you would never see me shelling out hundreds or more on ebay it's just to risky....

Reaction score
Feedback is generally a good thing to go on. If its expensive, but the seller has hundreds of positive feedback at say 99.99% green then your probably good to buy from them.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
By then maybe some decent games will be available and the release of the PS3 will probably mean prices will drop.

Amen.

I'll still be buying the PS3 tho :eek:

Ask a Question