Wanhao i3 3D Printer

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think it's for sending commands direct from the PC, but I've never used it - I just load gcode files straight on to the SD card from Cura (the new version from their site, rather than the bundled one). You can use something like "OctoPrint" via USB on the Raspberry Pi if you're feeling adventurous!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How are you getting on with yours Evan? I've almost finished modding it, the last thing is printing now and then I can do an overhaul to finalise all the levels :).

I bought some PETG filament to withstand higher temperatures, so the printed cooling shroud shouldn't warp (hopefully ;)). That was a pain in the arse to work with, but I've eventually got it not to "string" everywhere (PLA on the other hand prints beautifully).

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Busy splitting the stablising parts in to different folders so I can print them as and when I have time. I started printing a cup / mug yesterday which only got half way. Electric tripped during the night. Also I think printing over night is not a good thing. During the day when I am at my desk there is the noise of a fan next to me as well as PC noise and other noises from outside so you don't really notice the printer, but as soon as those other noises are gone the printer is quite loud, loud enough to put ear plugs in to sleep.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm still printing more parts for the printer :lol:. I've been printing a "Benchy" boat (often used as a benchmark as to how the printer is doing) each time I add a major mod. So far there have been some really nice improvements, but the stock printer was still doing a damn good job. I'll do a photo lineup once I've finished these last ones.

@EvanDavis, you've probably seen this site already, but it's got some good tips if you've not seen it yet:
http://3dprinterwiki.info/wiki/wanhao-duplicator-i3/. Hope you're enjoying tinkering with it!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Thanks. I had not seen that site yet. Bookmarked now.

Hope you're enjoying tinkering with it!

I haven't done much over the last two days other than get my little tool box out and give the printer a good once over. Couldn't believe how many of the cap screws were loose.

Reaction score
Thanks. I had not seen that site yet. Bookmarked now.

I haven't done much over the last two days other than get my little tool box out and give the printer a good once over. Couldn't believe how many of the cap screws were loose.

:confused::confused::confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian, can you make copies of the printer itself? Then you can send one to each of us and we can all have fun. :D

There are some printers where you can do that (at least for some structural parts)! This one is made of steel though ;).

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
There are some printers where you can do that (at least for some structural parts)! This one is made of steel though ;).

I don't mind having the plastic version. :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How are you getting on with the i3 @EvanDavis? Made anything interesting?

I'm hoping to have the review of this online very soon (maybe next week) - I didn't want to rush it, as there is a lot of learning before I could accurately critique the 3D Printer. I've gone through nearly 2 spools of filament already, so I've done plenty of testing now :D. I've got some benchmark prints from an M200 printer which costs 4x the price and the i3 compares very well indeed (once some mods have been made).

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
@Ian I really haven't done much. I've printed a few small things from Thingiverse. Still teaching myself Fusion 360, mainly just making different little shapes. I attempted making a case for my phone, but it came out slightly big. I got a 1kg spool with mine and don't even think I am ¼ way through it yet.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I've just been reading a very interesting article about 3D-printers being used to create synthetic bone! It would seem that human trials could begin in about 5 years, but early experiments look very promising.
Scientists in the United States have successfully treated broken spines and skulls in animals using 3D-printed synthetic bone, opening the possibility of future personalized bone implants for humans to fix dental, spinal other bone injuries.

Unlike real bone grafts, the synthetic material - called hyper-elastic bone - is able to regenerate bone without the need for added growth factors, is flexible and strong, and can be easily and rapidly deployed in the operating room.

The team found that when used in spinal injuries in rodents and to mend the skull of a monkey, the hyper-elastic bone, made mostly of a ceramic and polymer, quickly integrated with surrounding tissue and began regenerating bone.
Source: www.reuters.com

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That's incredible! I wonder how long before we're able to print organs...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...ec396e0190d416758b456a&utm_content=cta_button
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...ec396e0190d416758b456a&utm_content=cta_button

Make: your dreams come true. Get started on that crafty creation or imaginative invention you've been hiding in your brain. We've bundled the books you need to get started on papercraft, 3D printing, robotics, interactive electronics, edible inventions… the list goes on! Some of these books are Make-ing their digital debuts in our bundle, so you can easily bring them to your desk, your crafting table, or your workbench.

Pay $1 or more for Make: Paper Inventions, Best of Make: Volume 2: 65 Projects and Skill Builders from the Pages of Make:, Make: Design for 3D Printing, Make: Technology on Your Time Volume 42: 3D Printer Buyer's Guide, Make: 3D Printing: The Essential Guide to 3D Printers, Make: Zero to Maker: Learn (Just Enough) to Make (Just About) Anything, Make: Technology on Your Time Volume 44: Fun with Drones!, Make: Making Simple Robots, and Make: DIY Comms and Control for Amateur Space: Talking and Listening to Your Satellite.

Pay $8 or more and you’ll also get Make: The Annotated Build-It-Yourself Science Laboratory; The Makerspace Workbench: Tools, Technologies, and Techniques for Making; Make: Technology on Your Time Volume 41: Best Toys for Makers; Make: Getting Started with Processing, 2nd Edition; Make: Getting Started with Arduino, 3rd Edition; Make: Technology on Your Time Volume 47: The Space Issue; and $10 off of a print subscription and $5 off of a digital subscription for Make: Magazine.

Pay $15 or more for all of that plus Make: Tinkering, 2nd edition; Getting Started with Sensors: Measure the World with Electronics, Arduino, and Raspberry Pi; Make: Edible Inventions; Make: Getting Started with CNC; Make: Make It Glow; Make: Family Projects for Smart Objects; and Make: Getting Started with Raspberry Pi, 3rd Edition.

Pay $1 or more. Together, these books would cost over $303. Here at Humble Bundle, though, you name your price of $1 or more!

Read them anywhere. These books are available in PDF, ePUB, and MOBI formats, meaning you can read them anywhere at any time. Instructions and a list of recommended reading programs can be found here.

Support charity. Choose where the money goes – between the publisher, Make:; Maker Ed; and, if you'd like, a second charity of your choice via the PayPal Giving Fund. For details on how this works, click here. If you like what we do, you can leave us a Humble Tip too!

:cool:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
gKpiEkK.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ask a Question