VPN vs File Sharing, XP Pro, SP3

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by wejones, Aug 27, 2009.

  1. wejones

    wejones Guest

    I have a home network behind a router with cable internet. I am working with
    a group of folks and the file sizes we need to exchange exceed the file sizes
    on free web file sites.

    I have done portforwarding and have dyndns domain to handle ip changes with
    my router configured to update my dyndns domain if my ip changes.

    I have been lookng into ultraVNC and a few other flavors of VNC, simple file
    sharing and SShell to just set up a local volume inside of my router for us
    to have a filespace. I have been looking into various newsgroups, doing
    searches on MS, and I've read a bunch of summaries and guides on info I
    already know on how to set up filesharing and permissions: however, I have
    not got a clear picture on the best direction to take.

    Seems from what I've read that I my best course for just pushing files back
    and forth is just to use simple file sharing on a drive I have available and
    restrict the users on that drive.

    Now for some maybe obvious questions:
    Can I create a workgroup for the others to join that would just be able to
    access the common drive on my PC?
    Would I need to use SSH to have the data connection encrypted or secure?

    wejones, Aug 27, 2009

  2. Hi
    Ultra VNC have a build in strong AES encryption thus it can be used safely
    as is, No need for VPN or SSH.
    In addition it has a File Transfer module which makes it very easy to
    transfer files back and forth over the remote connection.
    Maybe this can further Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/myip.html
    http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Aug 28, 2009

  3. wejones

    Anteaus Guest

    VNC's file transfer is really for remote admin work, it allows no
    restrictions on what can be transferred. Hence not very suitable unless you
    explicitly trust other users.

    For your purposes you could look at FileZilla client/server. This provides
    secure (TLS) FTP, and allows full control over access.

    Anteaus, Aug 29, 2009
  4. wejones

    wejones Guest

    I have UltraVNC working and did not want to give folks that level of access.

    I have not got Filezilla to communicate outside of my router NAT yet. Don't
    know why as I have several test VNC servers going and SSH.

    I have Gbridge working, but it doesn't allow a push from outside, you have
    to have open Gbridge shares on both computers to pass files back and forth.
    That is you have to go get a file instead of someone pushing one up to you.

    wejones, Sep 3, 2009