VPN seems to use Internet DNS before using VPN DNS servers

G

We have a split-brain DNS setup for one of our servers. This works fine as far as Internet clients getting a DNS resolution that is different than our internal clients.

We also have users who establish a VPN connection to our network. After a VPN connection is established, the VPN client uses the DNS servers from the Internet connection instead of the DNS servers from the VPN connection. Actually, it looks like the VPN client first queries the Internet DNS servers, then if that fails, it queries the VPN DNS servers.

How can I force a VPN connection to first use the DNS servers that are associated with the VPN connection instead of the DNS servers that are associated with the Internet connection?

G

Here's some additional detail. Below is the results of ipconfig /all on a computer that is experiening this problem. In this particular case, this computer is connected to a NetGear router which is using DNS proxy.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : <<removed for security>>
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 06, 2004 9:28:04 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 11:14:07 PM

PPP adapter VPN to Sample:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : <<removed for security>>
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.223.14
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.223.14
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.201.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Since a VPN connection is established, I need the computer to query the DNS servers of 172.16.201.1 or 172.16.201.17. Instead, the computer is quering the DNS server 192.168.0.1. How can I force it to query the DNS servers that are associated with the VPN connection rather than the DNS server associated with the Local Area Connection.

Note: If the computer connects to a router that isn't using DNS proxy, then it works fine. But our users who travel end up connecting to routers over which I have no control.

Ask a Question