Volume Shadow Copy problem with NTBackup

A

Andy Hochstetler

I am having a problem running the Windows Backup Utility under XP Pro. My hard drive is partitioned into four partitions: 1) System; 2) Apps; 3) Data; 4) Swap. When I run the backup on #1 or #2 everything works OK. When I try to run a backup on #3, I get several errors. I don't backup #4. In the application event log I get four VSS errors:

First Error:
Event ID: 5013
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Shadow Copy writer ContentIndexingService called routine RegQueryValueExW which failed with status 0x80070002 (converted to 0x800423f4).

Second Error
Event ID: 6001
Sqllib error: Cannot create an event due to error 0x80070005.

Third Error
Event ID: 12302
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An internal inconsistency was detected in trying to contact shadow copy service writers. Please check to see that the Event Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are operating properly.
Fourth Error:
Event ID: 5012
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Shadow Copy shim called routine GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPointW which failed with status 0x80070003 (converted to 0x8000ffff).

The backup log has this error:
Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:Catastrophic failure

I have verified that the Volume Shadow Copy service is running as well as the COM+ Event System service, both of which I've read has something to do with the VSS.

I have SQL Server 2000 installed on this machine, a laptop I use for development. It's a Dell Inspiron 8200, 1GB RAM.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I can find nothing on the 'Net about this including MS Knowledgebase.

Thanks!
Andy

G

Did you ever solve this?

After installing office 2003 I am getting the same problem (in retrospect).

G

After a bit more digging the problem only occurs if I install Visio Pro 2003.
After which VSS fails (retrospect won't back up open files and event log
lists the two VSS error events - 5013 and 12302).

Ask a Question