Vista/XP Dual Boot - Keep Vista Restore Pts w/o Boot Mngt Program

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Performance' started by Guest, May 30, 2007.

    I have a dual boot of XP Home & Vista Business on a 80G HD and hide the Vista
    partition from XP using PartitionMagic. I have swapped booting between both
    OS's 4-5 times each (hiding the Vista partition before booting to XP) and XP
    hasn't deleted the Vista restore points.

    Several of my programs that I have written for work need to run on Vista, so
    I am testing them.

    Anyway, hiding the Vista partition from XP is pretty simple for me. I have
    a bootable thumb drive with PartitionMagic on it and I just insert it while
    I'm in Vista, reboot my PC, and use PartitionMagic to hide the partition. So
    far, so good...

    I know that Microsoft wants everyone to go to Vista, but alot of us need to
    exist in both worlds during some sort of transition period. It's interesting
    that Vista's help warns you that dual-booting with an earlier version of
    windows deletes the Vista restore points. They knew about it and released
    Vista without a fix anyway...

    --
    Charlye

    Guest, May 30, 2007

    Rock Guest

    "Charlye" wrote
    >I have a dual boot of XP Home & Vista Business on a 80G HD and hide the
    >Vista
    > partition from XP using PartitionMagic. I have swapped booting between
    > both
    > OS's 4-5 times each (hiding the Vista partition before booting to XP) and
    > XP
    > hasn't deleted the Vista restore points.
    >
    > Several of my programs that I have written for work need to run on Vista,
    > so
    > I am testing them.
    >
    > Anyway, hiding the Vista partition from XP is pretty simple for me. I
    > have
    > a bootable thumb drive with PartitionMagic on it and I just insert it
    > while
    > I'm in Vista, reboot my PC, and use PartitionMagic to hide the partition.
    > So
    > far, so good...
    >
    > I know that Microsoft wants everyone to go to Vista, but alot of us need
    > exist in both worlds during some sort of transition period. It's
    > interesting
    > that Vista's help warns you that dual-booting with an earlier version of
    > windows deletes the Vista restore points. They knew about it and released
    > Vista without a fix anyway...

    MS doesn't see it as a problem. They see dual booters as a small minority
    of users. The change has to come to XP. It's XP's volsnap.sys that deletes
    the Vista restore points. It isn't likely they will change XP because the
    change is considerable.

    You can give yourself a measure of protection by using a drive imaging
    program to regularly image the system to an external hard drive.

    --
    Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

    Rock, May 30, 2007

    Re: Vista/XP Dual Boot - Keep Vista Restore Pts w/o Boot Mngt Prog

    Thanks for the advice. I use Ghost to image my system weekly or before
    making a questionable change and copy them to another computer on my
    network...
    --
    Charlye

    Guest, May 30, 2007

    mikeyhsd Guest

    would it be possible to run VPC2007 and install xp as a virtual os.
    would allow you eliminate the dual boot.

    mikeyhsd, May 30, 2007