    Powell
    --
    PBL

    Powell, Feb 27, 2008

  2. Powell

    Mick Murphy Guest

    Right-click on the Taskbar and bring up Task Manager to see what is running
    at shutdown,
    --
    Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

    Mick Murphy, Feb 27, 2008

  3. Powell

    Powell Guest

    Goodday Mick:
    Thanks for your response. Acording to the Task Manager there was nothing
    running at shutdown. Of course, that's with the exception of my anti virus
    and anti spyware applications, but these two items were operating long before
    this little problem cropped up. To add some further information: This morning
    I finally downloaded a Vista update that I had been holding for about a week
    until I saw if there was any negative feedback (non-defender update of
    course). The update required a restart which I activated from the restart
    button on the update window. The system shutdown and restarted as it should.
    After running my weekly system check and cleanup I followed your suggestion
    and attempted a restart from the 'start' button and again it failed to do so.
    Once more it required a cold boot. Just for your further information, this
    blip started about two months ago but was only an occasional event. Sometimes
    it would restart and sometimes not. It has now progressed to the situation I
    have described. It is not a big deal (my finger won't wear out) but I am
    always leery of these manual on/off switches ever since I had to replace one
    on a previous computer.
    If this gives you any more clues as to the source of the glitch, please send
    me through some additional suggestions and if anyone else out there has some
    ideas I'd be most grateful to receive them. Once again, many thanks for the
    tip.
    Best regards
    Powell
    --
    PBL

    Powell, Feb 27, 2008
  4. This article talks about an issue with a lot of side effects like yours.
    The hybrid sleep feature and the hibernation feature in Windows Vista may
    become unavailable after you use the Disk Cleanup Tool :
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928897

    --
    Was this helpful? Then click the "Yes" Ratings button. Voting helps the web
    interface.

    Mark L. Ferguson

    ..

    Mark L. Ferguson, Feb 28, 2008
  5. Powell

    Powell Guest

    Thanks Mark. The problem is solved. Where do you guys come up with some of
    this arcane information? It truly amazes me! Once again many thanks and the
    same to any of you other good people who tried to find a solution.
    Powell
    --
    PBL

    Powell, Feb 28, 2008