Vista Upgrade path

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by Michael D, Oct 26, 2006.

  1. Michael D

    Michael D Guest

    Michael D, Oct 26, 2006

  2. Michael D

    William Guest

    Looks like they are discouraging the acquisition of XP Home Edition.

    William

    William, Oct 27, 2006

  3. Michael D

    Guest Guest

    Well, in the grander scheem of things, $ 90 vs $110. MCE seems to be a better
    deal anyhow...

    Guest, Oct 27, 2006
  4. Today was the beginning of the upgrade "Technology Guarantee" program.
    As of today, if you buy any copy of Windows XP, OR a new computer with
    XP preloaded (legitimately), you MAY be eligible for a reduced price or
    free copy of Vista by mail when it ships next year. However, the
    details are up to the seller, which may offer this or not, and set the
    terms of the offer (including the cost of the upgrade, in cases where
    it's not free).

    Barry Watzman, Oct 27, 2006
  5. Well, considering how much more you get, it's absurd to buy home edition
    when you can buy XP MCE for $20 more. Whether you need/want the media
    stuff or not, MCE is essentially "Pro" and has essentially all of the
    "Pro" features except for domain networking. This includes Remote
    Desktop and full ntfs. If you don't want the media stuff, just set the
    default bootup user interface to be the standard XP Pro Windows desktop
    (it's amazing to me how many people, buying a new computer with MCE,
    remove it and install XP Pro because they didn't realize that MCE has
    the XP Pro desktop, and that with just a mouse click it can be made the
    bootup default and they will never even see Media Center).

    Barry Watzman, Oct 27, 2006
  6. Michael D

    Jim Guest

    I was at Dell's site last night and they are offering the vista upgrade for
    free, but you have to pay $10 for shipping.

    Jim, Oct 27, 2006