    lately. However not having a clear diagnose in 2007 makes me a bit
    frustrated. Is there a log file that I could have a look at ? All this
    fantastic system reliability tools from Vista don't help now :(

    nojetlag, Feb 5, 2007

  2. nojetlag

    Jon Guest

    "nojetlag" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi there,
    > all of the sudden my machine won't start anymore. I'm running Vista
    > Ultimate and the first problem is that the
    > machine goes into boot-bluescreen-boot-bluescreen cycle so I can't
    > read what's on the blue screen. So i figured out that the Vista Repair
    > Tools would help me and therefore booted from the DVD. Memory Test was
    > ok, no error found in the start up sequence. However a System Restore
    > to a the time when I did install the latest WPF CTP failed with a
    > (0x80070005) error. The machine won't do last good known, nor will it
    > make into safe mode (without anything else), the last thing it loads
    > on its way to safe mode is crcdisk. After that it goes into reboot. I
    > assume a hardware issue since I haven't installed any new device
    > lately. However not having a clear diagnose in 2007 makes me a bit
    > frustrated. Is there a log file that I could have a look at ? All this
    > fantastic system reliability tools from Vista don't help now :(

    The short answer is that you'd need to disable the particular 'boot' level
    startup [as opposed to system / automatic /manual ...startup] service that
    is causing the crashes. This would enable you to get into safe mode.

    You can get a to a recovery command prompt via your DVD, from which the 'sc'
    command and 'reg add' commands may prove useful

    sc /?
    reg /?

    --
    Jon

    Jon, Feb 5, 2007

  3. nojetlag

    Jon Guest

    "Jon" <> wrote in message

    > "nojetlag" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >> all of the sudden my machine won't start anymore. I'm running Vista
    >> Ultimate and the first problem is that the
    >> machine goes into boot-bluescreen-boot-bluescreen cycle so I can't
    >> read what's on the blue screen. So i figured out that the Vista Repair
    >> Tools would help me and therefore booted from the DVD. Memory Test was
    >> ok, no error found in the start up sequence. However a System Restore
    >> to a the time when I did install the latest WPF CTP failed with a
    >> (0x80070005) error. The machine won't do last good known, nor will it
    >> make into safe mode (without anything else), the last thing it loads
    >> on its way to safe mode is crcdisk. After that it goes into reboot. I
    >> assume a hardware issue since I haven't installed any new device
    >> lately. However not having a clear diagnose in 2007 makes me a bit
    >> frustrated. Is there a log file that I could have a look at ? All this
    >> fantastic system reliability tools from Vista don't help now :(
    >>

    > The short answer is that you'd need to disable the particular 'boot' level
    > startup [as opposed to system / automatic /manual ...startup] service that
    > is causing the crashes. This would enable you to get into safe mode.
    >
    > You can get a to a recovery command prompt via your DVD, from which the
    > 'sc' command and 'reg add' commands may prove useful
    >
    > sc /?
    > reg /?
    >

    > --
    > Jon

    Looks like the 'sc' command is unavailable from the DVD command prompt, but
    'reg' is.

    There's also a 'Startup repair' option on the preceding screen which you may
    or may not have tried.

    --
    Jon

    Jon, Feb 5, 2007
  4. nojetlag

    Sarah Moyer Guest

    "nojetlag" <> wrote:

    > Hi there,
    > all of the sudden my machine won't start anymore. I'm running Vista
    > Ultimate and the first problem is that the
    > machine goes into boot-bluescreen-boot-bluescreen cycle so I can't
    > read what's on the blue screen. So i figured out that the Vista Repair
    > Tools would help me and therefore booted from the DVD. Memory Test was
    > ok, no error found in the start up sequence. However a System Restore
    > to a the time when I did install the latest WPF CTP failed with a
    > (0x80070005) error. The machine won't do last good known, nor will it
    > make into safe mode (without anything else), the last thing it loads
    > on its way to safe mode is crcdisk. After that it goes into reboot. I
    > assume a hardware issue since I haven't installed any new device
    > lately. However not having a clear diagnose in 2007 makes me a bit
    > frustrated. Is there a log file that I could have a look at ? All this
    > fantastic system reliability tools from Vista don't help now :(

    I'm sick of it!

    Get a Mac if you want a REAL solution to your problem.

    http://www.apple.com/

    Sarah Moyer, Feb 5, 2007
  5. nojetlag

    Jon Guest

    "Jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Jon" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "nojetlag" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi there,
    >>> all of the sudden my machine won't start anymore. I'm running Vista
    >>> Ultimate and the first problem is that the
    >>> machine goes into boot-bluescreen-boot-bluescreen cycle so I can't
    >>> read what's on the blue screen. So i figured out that the Vista Repair
    >>> Tools would help me and therefore booted from the DVD. Memory Test was
    >>> ok, no error found in the start up sequence. However a System Restore
    >>> to a the time when I did install the latest WPF CTP failed with a
    >>> (0x80070005) error. The machine won't do last good known, nor will it
    >>> make into safe mode (without anything else), the last thing it loads
    >>> on its way to safe mode is crcdisk. After that it goes into reboot. I
    >>> assume a hardware issue since I haven't installed any new device
    >>> lately. However not having a clear diagnose in 2007 makes me a bit
    >>> frustrated. Is there a log file that I could have a look at ? All this
    >>> fantastic system reliability tools from Vista don't help now :(
    >>>

    >> The short answer is that you'd need to disable the particular 'boot'
    >> level startup [as opposed to system / automatic /manual ...startup]
    >> service that is causing the crashes. This would enable you to get into
    >> safe mode.
    >>
    >> You can get a to a recovery command prompt via your DVD, from which the
    >> 'sc' command and 'reg add' commands may prove useful
    >>
    >> sc /?
    >> reg /?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Jon

    > Looks like the 'sc' command is unavailable from the DVD command prompt,
    > but 'reg' is.
    >
    > There's also a 'Startup repair' option on the preceding screen which you
    > may or may not have tried.
    >
    > --
    > Jon

    ..... and finally to complete my personal soliloquy...

    Some examples of using 'reg' with the DVD command prompt....

    Disable the automatic reboot after stop errors....
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl" /v AutoReboot
    /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

    Find boot level services (Start = 0) ......
    reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /s /v Start | more

    Disable a particular boot level service (eg 'crcdisk' here)
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\crcdisk" /v Start /t
    REG_DWORD /d 4 /f

    --
    Jon

    Jon, Feb 5, 2007
  6. nojetlag

    Chad Harris Guest

    Re: Vista blue screen - can't read blue screen/Try these.

    As Jon says have you tried Startup Repair? How about the Bootrec.exe tool
    in the Win RE environment?

    Also before the fat lady sings, you need to exhaust every safe mode to
    attempt to run System restore from the F8 Adv Options menu after you try
    those including to run system restore from the command prompt. Sometimes
    running System Restore from one safe mode works when others don't. In my
    experience SR from the Recovery environment works better, but not all the
    time.

    How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
    troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

    A Stop error occurs, or the computer stops responding when you try to start
    Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

    I'd deploy these if replacing the driver (provided you can boot) doesn't
    solve the problem:

    You run the startup repair tool this way:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

    How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
    http://www.windowsvista.windowsreinstall.com/vistaultimate/repairstartup/index.htm

    Note The computer must be configured to start from a CD or from a DVD. For
    information about how to configure the computer to start from a CD or from a
    DVD, see the information that came with the computer.
    2. Restart the computer. To do this, click Start, click the arrow next to
    the Lock button, and then click Restart.

    This usually means that you enter bios setup by whatever key or keys
    (sometimes there is more than one key that will do it for your model--go to
    pc manufacturer site) and configure CD to be first in the boot order.

    See for ref:
    Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    Note If you cannot restart the computer by using this method, use the power
    button to turn off the computer. Then, turn the computer back on.
    3. Set your language preference, and then click Next.

    Note In most cases, the startup repair process starts automatically, and you
    do not have the option to select it in the System Recovery Options menu.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the operating system
    that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6. In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair to start the
    repair process.
    7. When the repair process is complete, click Finish.

    Additional References for Startup Repair With Screenshots:

    How to Use Startup Repair:

    ***Accessing Windows RE (Repair Environment):***

    1) Insert Media into PC (the DVD you burned)

    2) ***You will see on the Vista logo setup screen after lang. options in the
    lower left corner, a link called "System Recovery Options."***

    Screenshot: System Recovery Options (Lower Left Link)
    http://blogs.itecn.net/photos/liuhui/images/2014/500x375.aspx

    Screenshot: (Click first option "Startup Repair"
    http://www.leedesmond.com/images/img_vista02ctp-installSysRecOpt2.bmp

    How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
    http://www.windowsvista.windowsreinstall.com/vistaultimate/repairstartup/index.htm

    3) Select your OS for repair.

    4) Its been my experience that you can see some causes of the crash from
    theWin RE feature:

    You'll have a choice there of using:

    1) Startup Repair
    2) System Restore
    3) Complete PC Restore

    You could also:

    Try to F8 to the Windows Adv Options Menu>try 3 safe modes there (I don't
    use WGA) and Last Known Good>then I go to Win RE in Vista. That gives you a
    choice of Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking,and Safe Mode with Command
    Prompt.

    These methods are outlined in

    A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP/and Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

    You will need this reference:

    How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/en-us

    The command to use for system restore at the safe mode cmd prompt is:

    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

    The reason for doing this is one of these choices may work, when the other
    doesn't. My experience is that people do not fully try F8 when they think
    or have said they have. It is that they can almost always reach Windows
    Advanced Options though.

    Good luck,

    CH

    Chad Harris, Feb 5, 2007
  7. nojetlag

    nojetlag Guest

    Re: Vista blue screen - can't read blue screen/Try these.

    Thanx to your excellent instruction I now managed to get a step
    further, the stop code is
    STOP: 0x0000007B (0x82406BA0,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

    Is it possible that this is related to OneCare Live ?

    nojetlag, Feb 6, 2007