Vista and XP

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Networking' started by Guest, Jul 22, 2006.

    will it be possible for a vista and xp computer to link together in a network

    Guest, Jul 22, 2006

  2. Well, It's suppose to be possible, but some are having troubles.

    --
    Ted Stevens taught me everything I know about putting internets in tubes...

    Mark D. VandenBerg, Jul 22, 2006

    AJR Guest

    Yes - I have XP and Vista as dual boot on a computer networked (crossover
    cable) with another XP computer - networking and ICS working great!!

    AJR, Jul 22, 2006

    BigK Guest

    "Notts Ash" <> wrote in message
    > will it be possible for a vista and xp computer to link together in a
    > network

    I have an XP Home system connected to my laptop running Vista.

    I have had trouble with printer sharing (can't print from the Vista machine)
    but file sharing is doing fine. I have a router so I don't know about ICS.

    BigK, Jul 22, 2006

    AJR Guest

    To "BigK" - I print from Vista to a HP 3740 connected directly to Vista
    computer and to a HP 1310 connected to a network XP computer
    Setting up the network printer went something like this: Set printer via XP
    for sharing - gave share name hp1310 then:
    1. Add printer via Vista
    2. Select Network printer (Printer attached to
    another computer)
    3. Used the UNC path to the printer - in my case
    \\roco-pro\hp1310
    4. OK

    AJR, Jul 23, 2006

    hey guys if you want to duel boot you need to get a program called Bootit
    ive got both vista and xp pro running on the same computer

    p.s but my dam printer doesnt work on vista (lexmark X6170 \\

    Guest, Jul 24, 2006
  7. Dueling is so 1800's...

    --
    Mark

    My favourite so far: Unknown device has been correctly installed.

    Mark D. VandenBerg, Jul 24, 2006

    AJR Guest

    Mark five-to-one they do not get it!!

    AJR, Jul 24, 2006

    I've tried this method with my Epson Stylus Photo 895 attached to a Windows
    XP Pro workstation but Vista x64 just asks for drivers because they aren't on
    the XP Pro machine.

    The problem is, the drivers are only available on the Vista install CD and I
    can't find them.

    I've tried connecting the printer to the Vista x64 machine but face similar
    problems from the XP Pro machine.

    It's driving me nuts!! :-/

    Guest, Oct 12, 2006

    Guest, Oct 12, 2006

    Guest, Oct 12, 2006

    Re: Vista and XP -- Printer sharing solution

    To share printers across a network between Vista x64 and any other operating
    system do the following.

    Vista
    ------
    Click Start >> Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Printers
    Click on Add a printer
    Select Add a local printer
    Create a new port >> Local Port >> Click on Next
    Enter the port name for the network printer (i.e. \\Computer Name\Printer
    Name)
    Select the printer from the list
    Continue until the printer is installed.

    Other operating systems
    ----------------------------
    Find the Add printer wizard and do exactly the same method as for Vista.

    With any luck your printer will already have printer drivers included with
    Vista and obtaining drivers for other operating systems if they are missing
    should not be a problem.

    Guest, Oct 12, 2006

    I am having around the same problem... but with a twist...

    I have an XP Pro computer that my g/f uses, and mine, which runs vista...

    The XP machine has two user names, both admins. One name is hers, the other
    mine. MY name on the XP machine can access everything on my vista. Her name
    how ever, get the access denied every time i try to open two particular
    drives ( E and F, same hard drive, sep partitions)

    I find it odd that one name on the computer can access it, while the other
    one cannot. I have password protection off, and dont get any window for the
    password...

    why would i have problems with one name and not the other?

    Guest, Nov 14, 2006

    Guest, Nov 14, 2006

    Arrowcatcher Guest

    Re: Vista and XP -- Printer sharing solution

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 01:35:01 -0700, Jenny-72
    <> wrote:

    Hey thanks for making my Christmas Day complete. This works
    perfectly.
    --
    Jim

    Arrowcatcher, Dec 26, 2006

    Re: Vista and XP -- Printer sharing solution

    Thank You Jenny-72!!

    This works!!!!!!

    I had the same problem; XP desktop (server) w/ Vista installed on Laptop and
    Vista would not access my desktop printer. First I installed the printer
    local to the laptop (HP 7310, USB) and than installed another local and
    added/modified the local port per your instructions below!

    This solution should be posted loud and clear on the MS tech page. I know
    that I'm not the only one with this issue.

    Kathy

    Guest, Feb 10, 2007

    I would really like to connect my two computers via a crossover cable. I
    have my vista and xp computer connected this way, but my xp computer does not
    show up in the vista. I can access the vista computer from my xp computer in
    my network places.
    The xp showed up in vista once before, but now it does not. I have my
    firewalls turned off.

    im stumped

    Guest, Feb 12, 2007
  18. Can you ping the XP from Vista? If not, I would check the firewall or other security software. These posts may help,

    Vista How to Collections
    http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=260

    Info: Step by step troubleshooting VISTA sharing
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=273

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Feb 12, 2007

    You don't need any add on program to dual boot. Windows sets up a boot menu
    when you install a second (or third) copy of Windows on your machine. Yes, I
    said thrid copy ... I am presently triple booting on my machine ... Vista
    Home Premium, XP Pro, and XP Home. Have never used or needed a boot manager
    .... Windows has it built in.

    Guest, Mar 30, 2007
  20. I trust you are aware that every time you boot into XP, it
    wipes out Vista's system restore points.

    Gary VanderMolen

    Gary VanderMolen, Mar 31, 2007