Vista 64 Home Premium Connects With One of Two XP Pro PC's

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Networking' started by petergoode, Jul 25, 2009.

  1. petergoode

    petergoode Guest

    I have a bit of a variation on a theme...and have read through many of the
    posts here...with so many troubleshooting options, I hope I can provide a
    basic yet clear synopsis of my issue so I can have a focused approach.

    My home network consists of two XP Pro desktiops, one Vista Home Premium
    desktop, and now a Vista 64 Home Premium HP Pavilion notebook accessing the
    network via the wireless router. All are on the network called "network".

    I do not intend to share anything from my notebook on the network...

    My Vista Home Premium system can see all shared files on the two XP Pro
    systems.

    The XP Pro systems can see and share all shared files on the other XP Pro
    and Vista systems.

    However, my Vista notebook, while showing the names of all the PC's in the
    network, can only access files on one of the XP Pro desktops...it is being
    refused access to the other XP Pro desktop, and the Vista desktop.

    I am hoping there is some simple tweak to explain this...I would have
    thought that if the Vista desktop can access everything, the Vista notebook
    should also have been able to do so. And, I assume my settings on the two XP
    Pro system are adequately identical, obviously, thus allowing that.

    So, is there something I need to change on the Vista notebook?

    Obviously I will gladly forward any other technical info which would help.

    Thanks so much in advance for whatever suggestions anyone can offer...this
    seems odd, and not amenable to solution by the troubleshooting I have
    attempted thus far.

    Peter

    petergoode, Jul 25, 2009

  2. petergoode

    Malke Guest

    petergoode wrote:

    > I have a bit of a variation on a theme...and have read through many of the
    > posts here...with so many troubleshooting options, I hope I can provide a
    > basic yet clear synopsis of my issue so I can have a focused approach.
    >
    > My home network consists of two XP Pro desktiops, one Vista Home Premium
    > desktop, and now a Vista 64 Home Premium HP Pavilion notebook accessing
    > the
    > network via the wireless router. All are on the network called "network".
    >
    > I do not intend to share anything from my notebook on the network...
    >
    > My Vista Home Premium system can see all shared files on the two XP Pro
    > systems.
    >
    > The XP Pro systems can see and share all shared files on the other XP Pro
    > and Vista systems.
    >
    > However, my Vista notebook, while showing the names of all the PC's in the
    > network, can only access files on one of the XP Pro desktops...it is being
    > refused access to the other XP Pro desktop, and the Vista desktop.
    >
    > I am hoping there is some simple tweak to explain this...I would have
    > thought that if the Vista desktop can access everything, the Vista
    > notebook
    > should also have been able to do so. And, I assume my settings on the two
    > XP Pro system are adequately identical, obviously, thus allowing that.

    Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
    to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
    can do this:

    XP - Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

    Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
    Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
    UAC

    Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
    desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
    for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
    there is no password (null).

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off Simple
    File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

    Malke, Jul 25, 2009

  3. petergoode

    petergoode Guest

    Thanks so much for taking time to help me.

    Believe it or not, and I should have darned well known this, the problem was
    with Zone Alarm's firewall setting...I changed the home network setting from
    "internet" to "trusted", and voila, everything works.

    However, the steps you mentioned were worth pursuing, for even though I've
    been suffering through Windows systems for 15 years now, I still find there
    are settings I never knew how to access or change.

    Again, thanks!

    Peter
    --
    pg

    petergoode, Jul 25, 2009
  4. petergoode

    Malke Guest

    petergoode wrote:

    > Thanks so much for taking time to help me.
    >
    > Believe it or not, and I should have darned well known this, the problem
    > was with Zone Alarm's firewall setting...I changed the home network
    > setting from "internet" to "trusted", and voila, everything works.
    >
    > However, the steps you mentioned were worth pursuing, for even though I've
    > been suffering through Windows systems for 15 years now, I still find
    > there are settings I never knew how to access or change.

    I'm so glad that sorted it for you. Thanks for taking the time to let me
    know.

    Malke

    Malke, Jul 25, 2009