    affected but, not seeing a specific newsgroup for the 64 bit version, I'm
    wondering about other programs or is it as simple as when I start installing
    things, I'll get a prompt if there's some sort of problem?

    TS Mathews, Apr 18, 2009

  2. TS Mathews

    DaveD Guest

    Vista 64 is backwards compatible with 32 bit programs.
    It won't run 16 bit however (XP could).
    It also requires 64 bit drivers and some vendors have been lax in providing
    them. That's probably been the biggest problem for most people, and as time
    goes on it's diminishing.

    DaveD, Apr 18, 2009

  3. TS Mathews

    Chad Harris Guest

    Hi TS--

    Just to add to what Dave said very well, at this time you shouldn't have
    much of a problem. While some drivers lave lagged, almost all 32 bit
    programs work fine with 64 bit Vista, and you won't need a tutorial because
    you're not going to be challenged by anything else in using 64 bit OS's that
    I can think of.

    CH

    Chad Harris, Apr 18, 2009
  4. TS Mathews

    Mike Guest

    Adobe Flash Player isn't compatible with Vista64. A lot of web pages use
    Flash Player. This is the most annoying for me. Otherwise most everything
    works and appears to run much faster.

    Mike, Apr 19, 2009
  5. TS Mathews

    Ian D Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Adobe Flash Player isn't compatible with Vista64. A lot of web pages use
    > Flash Player. This is the most annoying for me. Otherwise most
    > everything works and appears to run much faster.
    >
    > "TS Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >> Over time, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the notices about 64 bit
    >> Vista as I was using 32 bit. I've just ordered a new system and suddenly
    >> it hit me that it's got the 64 bit version installed. I've just checked
    >> the last few days of posts here and haven't seen anything terribly
    >> worrisome but I would like a tutorial if possible. I'm assuming my
    >> Office 2007 won't be affected but, not seeing a specific newsgroup for
    >> the 64 bit version, I'm wondering about other programs or is it as simple
    >> as when I start installing things, I'll get a prompt if there's some sort
    >> of problem?

    Vista 64 contains both 32 and 64 bit versions of Explorer. The
    32 bit version is the default. There's now a 64 bit version of Java,
    but none for Flash, yet.

    Ian D, Apr 19, 2009
  6. TS Mathews

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, TS.

    As Mike said, it's true that Adobe is very late in making their Flash Player
    work in a 64-bit browser. However, Vista x64 automatically includes TWO
    versions of IE7. The 64-bit version is in Program Files. The 32-bit
    version is in C:\Program Files (x86) and is the browser version that runs by
    default. To run the 64-bit version, you must specify C:\Program
    Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe; you can create a shortcut or pin this
    to your Start menu for convenience. You can run both versions (32-bit and
    64-bit) side by side at the same time.

    The Program Files (x86) folder is found only in 64-bit versions of Windows,
    including Vista x64; it first appeared in Windows XP 64-bit Edition about 5
    years ago. All 32-bit applications are installed here; 64-bit apps are
    installed in the folder without the (x86) designation, which refers to the
    x86 family of Intel 32-bit processors (8086, 80386, etc.).

    See Adobe's TechNote here:
    Flash Player support on 64-bit operating systems
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=6b3af6c9&sliceId=1

    Adobe says there, "To use Flash Player to view Flash content on a 64-bit
    operating system, you must run a 32-bit browser."

    Yes, Flash Player does work well in Vista Ultimate x64 (and in Win7 Ultimate
    x64 beta build 7000) in the 32-bit version of IE7 - and IE8. And Office
    2007 runs fine in WinXP x64, Vista x64 and Win7 x64. A couple of years ago,
    64-bit Windows users had a lot of problems, but today those have almost all
    disappeared. Hardware and software makers have finally realized that the
    future is all 64-bit. While it is not hard to find 64-bit hardware with
    32-bit Vista installed, it is not so easy to find a new computer with a
    32-bit CPU these days.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000

    R. C. White, Apr 19, 2009
  7. TS Mathews

    TS Mathews Guest

    Mucho thanks to all of your for your thoughts and comments on Vista 64 bit.
    I really appreciate the help and tips.

    Tim

    TS Mathews, Apr 19, 2009