Vista 64+32 Bit

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just bought Windows Vista home premuim I am having a few problems with it. Its picking the system up as 32Bit not 64 Bit even low I have a Intel Core Duo 2 E6600 CPU.

I would be most grateful if somoene could please advise me on this.

Many Thanks,

wizkid

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well, despite myself having a 64bit dual-core PC, I bought Vista 32bit OS ... I imagine you did also.

No way I can install the 64bit version, even though it is on the same DVD, if I didn't buy a 64bit version Licence.

I can, however, upgrade to the 64bit version for a "small" upgrade fee (a joke at MS prices)

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I am actually on the cusp of changing to Vista (I hesitate to use the word 'upgrade') now that I notice Creative have some sound card drivers for my model. Whether they work or not, I don't know, but I digress.

My system is listed in my sig. I was going to go for the Home Premium 64 Bit version but now you've got me wondering.

I figure the 64 bit version should be ok with my system, whadya think.

Here's a link to the version I may purchase: Vista

muckshifter

Reaction score
We, you me and the kitchen sink, still have the "old" problem of ... drivers for 64bit Win OS ... :rolleyes:

You will find in 64bit Vista that hasn't changed, in fact, MS tightened it up even further ... if you cannot get the 64bit certified drivers, you ain't gonna install any drivers.

Now, before we go jumping on the sad bandwagon of ... it is an MS/Vista fault ... do some history reading.

As you have mentioned "creative" again, I have to bring it up, again, that ... they, creative, have been pullin the wool over your eyes for bloody years ... their fecking hardware has been "software boosted" for far too long ... and now they find they cannot supply adequate drivers for the job, 'cos MS finally dropped that crapy software support and leaned towards better hardware.

MS were the ones actually supplying the core software compatibility for things like your sound card for too long ... the likes of creative mealy tapped into it.

MS listened to you ... you/we/I wanted stability ... one of them was quite simple to fix. Sorry, but now you need new hardware. :lol:

Damned shame Philips had given up on the chase with creative ... their hardware was far superior than creative's.

Yep, I'm still looking for a sound card. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, Mucks, aye, food for thought indeed.

I'm aware of Creative's shortcomings, in fact I'm wondering why the bloody hell I bought this card in the first place now.

On the plus side, it does sound good.

Asus do a good sound card but it's pricy and the Auzentech range are supposed to be good and have Vista support as well. I've read a fair bit of feedback about Creative in general and the rumblings appear to backup what you've said above.

Damn cheapskates, skating on a reputation you see.

Ask the avergae Joe/Gamer what the best sound option is and ten pence to a pinch of poop he'll reply either 'Soundblaster' or 'X-Fi'.

Ho hum.

Ok, Vista on hold for me again until I sussed out this 64 bit driver issue for sure. And that includes a sound card.

I read an interesting comment from lurch over at BBF yesterday, he said something like 'Vista is the future, we'll all migrate eventually, there's always that resistance at first just like there was with changing to XP'

He then went on to comment 'Some things just have to be done in Windows'

Maybe, maybe not. I'm guessing only corporate or dedicated exclusive software needs Microsoft, to be honest, Linux distros can do most things now but you and I know it do take a little patience.

Anyway, what happened to you? Twelve months ago you were the greatest exponent of Linux ever and now you appear to be riding shotgun for Bill Gates :lol:

;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Anyway, what happened to you? Twelve months ago you were the greatest exponent of Linux ever and now you appear to be riding shotgun for Bill Gates
Three/four years ago I was a Norton evangelist ... ;)

I was once Windows free, didn't have it on any PC I owned ... I still have Linux, it does a job ... however, having personally used it, I also know it's shortcomings. Linux is free to download and use, I can buy XP for £10 and not have to fart around looking for "fixes" to my gear, Suse.

I also agree with Lurch, though I haven't read his post, that eventually we will be using Vista ... it really does have just enough advancement in software technology that, can take advantage of the new hardware we have had for some time, you/we need to do a lot of reading, I have loads of time on my hands, I have read. :thumb:

sorry, I rabbit ... so I just cut a lot out. :blush:

:user:

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone bought the Vista Home Premuim Upgrade. Were you able to do full clean install of it.

Can you please advise me on the above.

Many Thanks again,

wizkid

muckshifter

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi,

Has anyone bought the Vista Home Premium Upgrade. Were you able to do full clean install of it.

Many Thanks again,

wizkid
You simply install as you would any OS ... it will, at some stage, ask for the relevant CD to confirm you have correct credentials to the licence.

Oh, that does mean a "real" Windows CD, not one of them stupid recovery disks. ;)

Reaction score
So can I do a full install and get the full version of Home Premuim and not the upgrade?

Can you please let me know.

Thanks,

wizkid

muckshifter

Reaction score
wizkid said:
So can I do a full install and get the full version of Home Premuim and not the upgrade?

Thanks,

wizkid
You do a full install anyway ... it will just ask you to pop in your XP Home CD to conform to the licence.

All Windows upgrade CD/DVDs are full CD/DVDs. :thumb:

Reaction score
Cool Thanks,

I was just wondering if the Sidebar stays on the screen when flipping though winodws or do I need to start it up again.

Many Thanks,

wizkid

Reaction score
Can you please let me know if the side bar is still there when flipping though Windows and when I chose the desktop for it to bring up will the Windows Vista Side Bar be there.

Thanks,

wizkid

muckshifter

Reaction score
The sidebar stays, unless you close it ... :thumb:

... though when I start up Guild Wars it does seem to close and reopen when I finished playing ... but that may be due to the fact that Aero is actually switching graphics mode to play the game.

Never bothered to find out.

Reaction score
Hi,

Am I right in thinking that Windows Vista has SATA Drivers built in.

Thanks,

wizkid

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yes, nearly all, if not all, the common ones are recognised, even some of the more exotic chips also. :)

user.gif

Reaction score
Hi,

Is the ACADEMIC Version of Vista Home Premuim still the full verison with all the same things in it.

Thanks,

wizkid

Ask a Question