Visible in win explorer, not visible in cmd window?

David Candy

Because Explorer isn't a file management tool. It is a namespace browser. Going to TIF merely loads a TIF file viewing program. Going to a web site loads a web viewing program. Going to schedule tasks loads a task scheduling program. Etc.

Most file folders load a folder viewing program.

Wowbagger

Why are the files in my ..\temporary internet files visible through windows
explorer but not visible when I'm in a command window?

Windows XP Pro

Thanks

Wowbagger

When in the command window in the appropriate directory I type dir and am
told that there are three subfolders within the temporary internet files
directory. When I use windows explorer I see about 130Mb of .tmp files,
..txt files, .gif files and other assorted clutter.

If the files aren't actually in ..\temporary internet files where are they?
When I tell MSIE to delete all of the temporary internet files it just locks
up (behavior I sometimes encounter when temporary files > 80Mb or so)

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Because Explorer isn't a file management tool. It is a namespace browser.
Going to TIF merely loads a TIF file viewing program. Going to a web site
loads a web viewing program. Going to schedule tasks loads a task scheduling
program. Etc.

Most file folders load a folder viewing program.

David Candy

TIF Viewer shows the contents of the TIF. The TIF is files that are supposed to be in TIF. If you cancel a web page download the contents do not make it into the TIF (and if you view something in OE etc). But the files downloaded stay with the "official" files. These are in the sub folders you mentioned and TIF also shows cookies from the cookies folder.

Checking the Offline checkbox deletes the unofficial files.

Code-Curious Mom

When I tell MSIE to delete all of the temporary internet files it just
locks
up (behavior I sometimes encounter when temporary files > 80Mb or so)

Are you sure it is actually locking up? I saw a computer once where this
took a ridiculously long time to complete -- something like 10-20 minutes
(TIF were set to an insanely large amount, but it was still way longer than
I ever expected. Some kind of progress indicator would have been nice.)

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
TIF Viewer shows the contents of the TIF. The TIF is files that are supposed
to be in TIF. If you cancel a web page download the contents do not make it
into the TIF (and if you view something in OE etc). But the files downloaded
stay with the "official" files. These are in the sub folders you mentioned
and TIF also shows cookies from the cookies folder.

Checking the Offline checkbox deletes the unofficial files.

David Candy

This is a known issue. It was designed for small hard drives. I believe the issue with TIF being designed for small HD will be fixed in next version of Windows.

Wowbagger

It dawns: you mean "Temporary Internet File Viewer" and not .TIF viewer.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
TIF Viewer shows the contents of the TIF. The TIF is files that are supposed
to be in TIF. If you cancel a web page download the contents do not make it
into the TIF (and if you view something in OE etc). But the files downloaded
stay with the "official" files. These are in the sub folders you mentioned
and TIF also shows cookies from the cookies folder.

Checking the Offline checkbox deletes the unofficial files.

jt3

To return to the original question, what you explained is why OP was able to
view them from Explorer, but not why he was unable to view them from 'cmd'
and I take this to mean that you're saying that cmd doesn't have access to
the viewer, while explorer does. Since cmd is able to view most folders,
why/how is this exception made for TIFs, and is there any way around it of
which you may write?

Joe

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
That is correct. You try writing it in full several hundred times a year.

David Candy

Terms - File Folder same as an MSDos directory
- Folder all namespace elements on your computer. This includes file folders. Not all folders exist physically.

You have it backwards. Explorer loads a viewing program for each folder. Some folders, such as My Computer, have no directory backing at all. A folder like My Docs (a file folder) the viewer is a file listing viewer. A folder like TIF is a TIF viewer. It is not showing you files in a directory (there are none - cmd workls only with file folders aka directories). It shows files that explorer has cached. This list comes from a database (index.dat) which also lists where the files actually are (in the sub folders of TIF and cookies are in cookies). Only files correctly recieved go into the database though the file or part of it may be stored in TIFs sub folders as it was written there before the download failed. Some programs like OE dump temp files there too. These are also not in the database so don't exist in the TIF database even though the file is physically present.

Any confusion you have is by using a disk model to try to understand windows. Windows user interface doesn't use a disk model. Note that any web page you are viewing is in the (in later windows versions a hidden folder as most users got confused) Internet folder. Explorer loads a web page viewing program (most call it IE but it is really just explorer browsing the items in the internet folder).

Wowbagger

In other words, MSIE was using the search folder concept several years
before it dawned on anybody that it might be useful in Outlook as well.

jt3

Thank you, David. That clarifies a lot of haziness regarding my
observations of the interface.

Joe

[...]

Marianne B.

Using XP Home here and can see Temporary Internet Files and
all subdirectories and files in a command window.
I have to use "dir /a" to view all files and folders.
If I just use "dir", they don't appear in listing.

M.B.