    to "delete and recreate the whole VirtualDeviceDrivers
    registry key". I can't find any help on how to do this.
    Can anyone help?

    Arctic Motor Sports, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Arctic Motor Sports

    Ndi Guest

    "Arctic Motor Sports" <> wrote in message
    > I've reached the end of Article #254914 regarding an error
    > with the VDD. It says if the steps involved don't work
    > to "delete and recreate the whole VirtualDeviceDrivers
    > registry key". I can't find any help on how to do this.
    > Can anyone help?

    1) The solution worked for all, it should for you. Maybe you did something
    wrong, perhaps not restart?

    2)
    * Open Regedit
    * Navigate to the key
    * Select VDD in the LEFT pane
    * Hit Del
    * Select the parent key (VirtualDeviceDrivers)
    * Right click and choose New Key
    * Name the key VDD

    3)
    * Copy/paste the text below into a new text document.
    * Rename it to Whatever.reg (or choose Save As and make sure type is not
    TEXT, but All Files in the Save As dialog)
    * Open it, answer Yes to the question about merging the file

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers]
    "VDD"=hex(7):

    --
    Andrei "Ndi" Dobrin
    Brainbench MVP

    Ndi, Oct 15, 2003

  3. Arctic Motor Sports

    GermanPL Guest

    My problem is similar to this, but VDD does not appear.
    When I attempt to enter it with "add value", I get the
    message it already exists.

    Thanks for any help.

    GermanPL, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Arctic Motor Sports

    Ndi Guest

    > My problem is similar to this, but VDD does not appear.
    > When I attempt to enter it with "add value", I get the
    > message it already exists.

    I have no clue how you missed both Microsoft's and my explanation, but
    here I go again.

    * Don't use regedit. Use RegEdt32. Regedit is incapable of viewing/editing
    advanced registry types. Regedit is also incapable of creating REG_MULTI_SZ,
    so it's useless anyhow.

    * If you can't create the value (VDD), you need to delete and re-create
    the VirtualDeviceDrivers key.

    My best guess is that when you navigate with RegEdt32 you'll be able to
    see the value or the key. Also make sure you have the permission to touch
    the keys (you might need to be Admin).

    --
    Andrei "Ndi" Dobrin
    Brainbench MVP

    Ndi, Oct 17, 2003
  5. I'm afraid I need to do the same thing.

    When trying to delete the VDD key to sort out the 16 bit error I could not
    see it and deleted the VirtualDeviceDrivers entry by mistake.

    I have rentered it but am not sure it is correct. Can anyone tell me
    whether I can restore my registry and start again or is there some
    description on how to recreate the VirtualDeviceDrivers entry again?

    Thanks

    Shaun

    Shaun Campbell, Oct 17, 2003
  6. Arctic Motor Sports

    Ndi Guest

    > When trying to delete the VDD key to sort out the 16 bit error I could not
    > see it and deleted the VirtualDeviceDrivers entry by mistake.
    >
    > I have rentered it but am not sure it is correct. Can anyone tell me
    > whether I can restore my registry and start again or is there some
    > description on how to recreate the VirtualDeviceDrivers entry again?

    http://www.ndi.ro/VDDFix.exe

    If it doesn't help you, please DO read my posts above, they include your
    issue too.

    --
    Andrei "Ndi" Dobrin
    Brainbench MVP