Virgin Media

Reaction score
So for my student house, we have signed up to the 2 for £20 deal.

Cable TV with loads of channels, and line rental.

We didnt want Cable internet, so we didnt get the 3 for £30

My question is, we are paying Virgin Media for line rental but is it still classed as a "BT Line"

I.e. will we be able to sign up for internet (ADSL) from the likes of Plusnet etc

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Isn't the telephone via cable too with Virgin? - in which case your BT line should still be OK to use for ADSL.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You got tv and phone right? That means you will have to get a separate BT line for Internet, as its cable iirc.

Reaction score
Oh bugger... didn't realise that the telephone goes through cable too - as its "line rental" which you only have to pay if you have the phone...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Although its cable - I believe Virgin still have to pay BT a fee for accessing the overall phone network - hence the 'line rental' - unless I'm misunderstanding how it works........

Reaction score
I took this park of the contract from the cable (as oppopsed to non cable) terms and conditions to mean that the phone line is the same physical line as the BT one, just sold through virgin the same as Plusnet sell theirs etc

Virgin Phone
If you are keeping an existing phone number but taking the relevant phone line from us as part of the services, you authorise us to cancel that part of your agreement with BT which relates to renting that line. However, we cannot cancel any other agreements you may have with BT, for example, for renting equipment or for extra lines. Although we are usually able to arrange for you to keep your existing phone number when you transfer your line to us, we cannot guarantee this.
If we provide you with a telephone line, and you don't ask us to transfer your existing number, we will allocate a number to your telephone line. The telephone number and any rights in it belong to us and you may not sell or agree to transfer the number to any person.
You agree that we may give your name, address and phone number to the emergency services. Unless you tell us otherwise, we will also give these details to other authorised public communications operators and regulated directory service providers. This is so your details can be included in phone books and be obtained from publicly available directory enquiry services, including Internet and CD-ROM directories. We cannot accept any liability whatsoever for any failure by authorised public communications operators and regulated directory service providers to whom we provide information to comply with your listing request. We can tell you about other options that are available to protect and control how your information is used.
You accept that your telephone number must not be advertised in or on a public telephone box. If this happens, we may immediately suspend the services or end this agreement. However, we will use reasonable endeavours to contact you before we take this action.

Reaction score
If it is through cable, i'll probably cancel it as i assume this means we cant have a phone in our own rooms and it limits where we could put a wireless router.

What does the law say about cancelling before equipment is installed? should i be able to do this?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Chris - reading those T&C's it does seem like they are taking over BT's line - so I'm not sure I was right earlier then - you probably really need to give them a ring and ask.

Reaction score
Yeah i will ring them. The T&C's do give that impression... Glad it's not just me.

I wonder if it is possible to use another ADSL provider though, i will look into this - as i REALLY don't want cable internet... i have heard so many horror stories...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Well I was with the former Telewest cable for several years and it was superb - I can't get cable where I am now, but I would have had it again if I could - although I am now also happy with my excellent Zen ADSL service :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I had an offer through the post from Virgin, I translated it to be as 'Switch from BT to Virgin using the same telephone line and we'll give you free TV for £11.00 a month plus call fees with free weekend calls to 01 & 02 numbers'

Which seems pretty good on the face of it but I also wondered whether it would affect my Zen ADSL service.

And I don't watch TV anyway. And at the moment I pay BT every three months, not monthly. And my BT bill is usually only the line rental plus about two quid cos I use my mobile all the time, my talk plan covers all calls and I've always got minutes left over each month.

So - why the hell am I even considering it? :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Reaction score
Flops - sounds a similar thing, but we have the premium TV package with Discovery and such like.

Being a student house, there was no line rental being paid at the time so it seemed sensible to bundle it with the TV.

I hope i havent screwed up!!

Reaction score
Peter Stone said:
Short answer- no. Virgin Media are not oblidged by Ofcom to resell broadband on their equipment and therefore don't.

Peter Vaughan said:
You may be correct Peter but the OP still has a BT line of which only the voice & line rental is moved to Virgin. I could if I wanted move my voice & rental to another company and still keep my ADSL with PN so in theory he can still request ADSL for the line as far as I am aware.

Hmm... So i'm still no closer to solving this...

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Interesting... so if they are currently planning on putting a cable phone line in, maybe i can ask them to use the BT one. Every bedroom (all 7 of them) has its own phone socket. Need to be able to use them.
For that reason it would be silly not to use them mate, the sockets i mean, Guess its time to give them a ring. :)

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have a friend who has just had tha Virgin package installed . Been working fine for the last three months . If thats any help . :)

Reaction score
Have cancelled Virgin as it WAS cable.

Have been told by plusnet that in order to take over line rental, i need to currently be paying it to BT or something...

Reaction score
Ok so got off the phone to BT - they are putting the order through for line rental.

Now considering Sky package.

We can get Sky Digital with 2 mixes, Unlimited phone calls and 16mb Unlimited use internet for £30.00 per month (in addition to the £10.50 line rental paid to BT)

This seems like an alright deal...

Anyone else got Sky BB?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thought so...

I not got Sky BB (I got Entanet via Vivaciti) but my girlfriends sister has, its not bad, shes on the 8meg for a fiver + sky+. I had to set it up for them.

You get the Netgear DG834GT wireless router, Shame it uses Skys own firmware and your 'not supposed' to play with the router settings at all or flash it to non sky fireware. ;) They also ask you to use that router and not your own. But this is not such a bad this as its a good router. :)

Check out www.skyuser.co.uk for some good info. :thumb:

Ask a Question