Vinyl to MP3

Reaction score
I'm converting my Vinyl record collection to MP3.
Would it be easier to copy to an external HDD or use USB Flash instead?
Got about 50 albums to copy.

And a few K-Tel & Roncco as well from the old days of Woolworths!!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
What are you using to do the conversion? Audacity is great for this sort of thing and it's free. And, you can get rid of tape hiss and vinyl noises too. :thumb:

Reaction score
nivrip said:
What are you using to do the conversion? Audacity is great for this sort of thing and it's free. And, you can get rid of tape hiss and vinyl noises too. :thumb:
Got a USB Record player for Christmas & set it up on my Laptop.
But Laptop only has a 80GB HDD & most is used for VMWare testing.
So external storage means i could listen on different PC's etc, depending where i am.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
feckit said:
I'm converting my Vinyl record collection to MP3.
Would it be easier to copy to an external HDD or use USB Flash instead?
Got about 50 albums to copy.

And a few K-Tel & Roncco as well from the old days of Woolworths!!

Is it not illegal to do this ? :p
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Is it not illegal to do this ? :p
laughingsmiley.gif

Hahahahahahahaha! I have been waiting for the day for somebody to pull feckit up over an illegality :lol:

People in glass houses and all that :lol:

But, um, yes, it is legal. We all used to make cassettes from the vinyl we purchased for personal use, it's the same thing, converting one legally owned format to another.

What software you using feckit? I have Audacity on a couple of machines but I've always used the auxillary input of dbPower amp to record vinyl. dbPoweramp used to be free but they charge for it now. It's very good. I can host the free version for you if you want.

There again, I use an Hitachi HT-350 Direct Drive turntable through a phono preamp into the auxillary socket of my sound card to record vinyl, which is different from USB input I suppose.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Yep is legal...just dont let go of the original :nod:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Hahahahahahahaha! I have been waiting for the day for somebody to pull feckit up over an illegality :lol:

People in glass houses and all that :lol:
If i'm making a back up for personal use then the law is on my side.
If i was using for say a disco or for public entertainment then it would be illegal to do so!
Software is Ion with iTunes?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feckit said:
If i was using for say a disco or for public entertainment then it would be illegal to do so!

No it's not, check your facts. The person 'broadcasting' the music does need an annual licence from the BPI though.

feckit said:
Software is Ion with iTunes?

Are you asking or informing? I haven't a clue, I've just stopped using I-Tunes, I've always thought it was rubbish, using Winamp for my I-Pods now, it's great. I shall post more details later.

And as mentioned earlier I use dbPoweramp to record from a decent turntable through a phono preamp and the quality is very good indeed. No EQ change, no scratch or hiss filters, I record the vinyl in it's raw state and it actually seems to capture that 'presence' to some degree which is lacking in digital music.

Ask a Question