    Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 5
    * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    , Mar 21, 2006

  2. John John Guest

    Try regedt32 . Once there use the help files and look for "Remote
    Registry".

    John

    John John, Mar 21, 2006

  3. On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:58:35 GMT, asm () wrote:

    >I have a HDD slaved to my computer and I'm trying to find some way
    >to view the SOFTWARE file on it so I can pull the productId key out
    >of it. thanks for any info

    >Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 5
    > * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    See tip 0182 ยป Off-line Registry editing.
    in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows Server MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com
    http://www.jsifaq.com

    Jerold Schulman, Mar 21, 2006

    umm when i tried regedt32 and loaded a hive it said something about
    replacing keys and i freaked out and closed it out.. this isnt going
    replace my main registry is it? it showed nothing about oldsystem

    Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 5
    * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    , Mar 22, 2006
  5. Dave Patrick Guest

    Run regedt32, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive.
    Then navigate to the location of the hive you want to edit/read. Give it
    some tempname (doesn't matter what). Then when your done, move the cursor
    back to tempname, then Registry|Unload Hive, Registry|Exit

    --

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Mar 22, 2006
  6. Mark V Guest

    In microsoft.public.win2000.registry Dave Patrick wrote:

    > Run regedt32, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose
    > Registry|Load Hive. Then navigate to the location of the hive
    > you want to edit/read. Give it some tempname (doesn't matter
    > what). Then when your done, move the cursor back to tempname,
    > then Registry|Unload Hive, Registry|Exit

    Additional tip OP for safety's sake. Copy the hive file in question
    as a safety backup before you load it. That way there is no chance
    of unintentional modification to the original.

    Mark V, Mar 22, 2006
  7. Jim Byrd Guest

    Just to expan and Mark's remarks:

    Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ I've set it up to take a
    scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis, and a
    Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt, and for some
    useful information about this subject

    The following tutorials are useful:

    Installing & Using ERUNT
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

    To see an illustrated registry restore procedure
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_erdntuse.html

    This program is one of the best things around - saved my butt on many
    occasions, and will also run very nicely from a DOS prompt (in case you've
    done something that won't let you boot any more and need to revert to a
    previous Registry) IF you're FAT32 OR have a DOS startup disk with NTFS
    write drivers in an NTFS system. (There is also a way using the Recovery
    Console to get back to being "bootable" even without separate DOS write NTFS
    drivers, after which you can do a normal ERDNT restore. See erunt.txt for
    detailed instructions. Basically, if you make your backup into a folder
    inside your Windows or Winnt folder, you can restore at a Recovery Console
    boot by copying the files from that ERDNT folder into the system32\config
    folder. After a good boot, then do another normal ERDNT restore to restore
    the user hives also.) (BTW, it also includes a Registry defragger program).
    Free, and very, very highly recommended.

    FYI, quoting from the above document:

    Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make a
    complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry
    (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can the
    exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old
    one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current
    registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd, Mar 22, 2006