Video Quality change in Windows Movie Maker

Discussion in 'Windows XP MovieMaker' started by Guest, Nov 6, 2007.

    Hey Guys,

    I'm creating a number of short video clips in WMM from approx. 6hrs of video
    footage. I created the first clip in WMM on one machine and everything came
    out fine with a high quality picture. The following 4 movies I've created
    (on a different laptop with same version of WMM) have all come out with lower
    quality video despite using the same source file as the first. In testing,
    I can preview the source file in the WMM preview window and see the same
    quality. As soon as I drag the video file to the timeline and watch it the
    video quality becomes grainy and a little choppy in movement. I can't locate
    any preferences or similar settings that ight allow me to modify how the
    timeline view deals with video quality.

    does anyone have any ideas as to what's happening? Are there potentially
    other codecs or filters on the first laptop that might be causing this?

    Thanks for any insight!

    freebass

    Guest, Nov 6, 2007

  2. For best quality you need to use dv.avi video files.
    MM only shows a preview of low quality adn every other frame, to enable you
    to add effects adn play hte file back in real time to see what it looks
    like, where other apps make you render a temp file first.
    To keep best quality you need to save your end file also as a dv.avi.

    This should then be the same quality as the original.

    You cannot use the preview window in any app to let you know what the
    quality is like.

    --

    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    Graham Hughes, Nov 8, 2007

    Thanks for the reply Graham. I did realize that previews were going to be of
    lower quality after reviewing some of your other posts but I still did not
    understand why the finished file was problematic. If you can spare another
    cerebral moment...I'm not seeing any areas in WMM that allow me to specify
    output file type (i.e. avi vs. wmv) the only options I see have to do with
    the usage case - web viewing, low quality, hi quality, cd, etc.). Am I
    missing something obvious that lets me specify .avi in WMM 9?

    thanks again!

    freebass

    Guest, Nov 8, 2007

    John Inzer Guest

    freebass wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply Graham. I did realize that previews were going
    > to be of lower quality after reviewing some of your other posts but I
    > still did not understand why the finished file was problematic. If
    > you can spare another cerebral moment...I'm not seeing any areas in
    > WMM that allow me to specify output file type (i.e. avi vs. wmv) the
    > only options I see have to do with the usage case - web viewing, low
    > quality, hi quality, cd, etc.). Am I missing something obvious that
    > lets me specify .avi in WMM 9?
    >
    > thanks again!
    >
    > freebass

    =======================================
    WMM 9? Sorry...there is no such
    version of Windows Movie Maker.

    Here's some info on Vista Movie Maker 6:

    Windows Vista
    Movie settings: frequently asked questions
    http://tinyurl.com/2mj77y

    Movie Maker in Vista -
    Publishing / Quality Profiles
    http://tinyurl.com/325yvz

    Windows Vista
    Enjoying your pictures and videos
    http://tinyurl.com/33fdk2
    (scroll down to: Creating your own movies)

    And...to save as an .avi movie file in MM 2.1
    (and several other options)

    Type...Ctrl+P to open the Save Movie Wizard /
    Choose...My Computer /
    Next /
    Enter a Name and a Save Location /
    Next /
    Show More Choices /
    Other Settings /
    Open the drop window and choose...DV-AVI /
    Next /
    Wait while the movie is saved /
    Finish...

    Also, when saving as .wmv...you may
    find it useful to use a custom profile:

    Movie Maker 2 - Saving
    Movies - Custom WMV Profiles
    http://tinyurl.com/s2vgu

    Creating Custom Profiles
    for Windows Movie Maker 2
    http://tinyurl.com/cuny7

    --

    John Inzer
    MS Picture It! -

    Digital Image
    Highlights and FAQs
    http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Nov 8, 2007

    Thank you John and Graham. I didn't notice the dv-AVI option earlier and
    feel a little embarassed for not being more thorough. Your help is very much
    appreciated!

    (question: I see consistent mention of Vista Movie Maker on this forum. Is
    that available for XP or just the VISTA platform? Sounds like it has more
    functionality than WMM 2.1?)

    Guest, Nov 8, 2007

    John Inzer Guest

    freebass wrote:
    > Thank you John and Graham. I didn't notice the dv-AVI option earlier
    > and feel a little embarassed for not being more thorough. Your help
    > is very much appreciated!

    ================================
    Don't be embarassed...I learn new things
    every day. And...you're welcome.
    ================================
    > (question: I see consistent mention of Vista Movie Maker on this
    > forum. Is that available for XP or just the VISTA platform? Sounds
    > like it has more functionality than WMM 2.1?)

    ================================
    No, Versions 2.6 and 6 are Vista only.

    Actually, Vista Movie Maker questions should
    be directed to:

    microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video

    Discussions in Windows Vista
    Music, Pictures, and Video
    http://tinyurl.com/yqjkwz

    I think folks see the words Movie Maker and
    don't realize this is a Windows XP newsgroup.

    --

    John Inzer
    MS Picture It! -

    Digital Image