VGASafe makes my head go funny

Discussion in 'ATI Video Cards' started by Sham B, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Sham B

    Sham B Guest

    Right.

    I have the cat3.7 drivers, which have been the most stable ATI offering for some time, but now I
    hear that the 4.x ones are looking good, so thought Id give them a whirl.

    Every time I uninstall the ATI driver, I get down to VGASafe drivers, which, from what I understand,
    is what XP uses when it can find no other suitable drivers that will work without conflicts. Its
    XP's way of saying 'You nearly ended up with a blank screen, but I just saved you, clever OS that I
    am! .... um.... although you cant really fix the problem easily now, so you're prolly still in a
    mess, its just that you get to look at the UI in 640x400 as well this way'.

    I get this VGASafe 'feature' even If I tell XP to use VGA drivers at bootup (f8)

    trouble is that ATI drivers refuse to install over VGASafe coming up with some 'there is a problem
    that prevents these drivers installing, try again with VGA drivers'. so once I get to a boot up
    with VGASafe, I'm stuck, the easiest way out is to go back to the installed cat drivers (if I got
    there with F8) or a repair reinstall of XP (if I got there by uninstalling the existing cat drivers
    and normal reboot) and only then can I install the updated drivers (if I'm lucky). Reinstalling the
    AGP drivers for the MOBO doesn't help either, although some web pages seem to imply that's the deep
    seated problem behind all this.

    Anyone find a way out of this vicious circle that doesnt involve pain and suffering on a grand
    scale? ATI drivers with a proper install that don't require a previous driver uninstall (so you can
    then roll back if anything untoward happens) would be nice, but hey,that's ATI.

    Sham B, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Sham B

    patrickp Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:03:46 +0100, "Sham B" <>
    wrote:

    >Right.
    >
    >I have the cat3.7 drivers, which have been the most stable ATI offering for some time, but now I
    >hear that the 4.x ones are looking good, so thought Id give them a whirl.
    >
    >Every time I uninstall the ATI driver, I get down to VGASafe drivers, which, from what I understand,
    >is what XP uses when it can find no other suitable drivers that will work without conflicts. Its
    >XP's way of saying 'You nearly ended up with a blank screen, but I just saved you, clever OS that I
    >am! .... um.... although you cant really fix the problem easily now, so you're prolly still in a
    >mess, its just that you get to look at the UI in 640x400 as well this way'.
    >
    >I get this VGASafe 'feature' even If I tell XP to use VGA drivers at bootup (f8)
    >
    >trouble is that ATI drivers refuse to install over VGASafe coming up with some 'there is a problem
    >that prevents these drivers installing, try again with VGA drivers'. so once I get to a boot up
    >with VGASafe, I'm stuck, the easiest way out is to go back to the installed cat drivers (if I got
    >there with F8) or a repair reinstall of XP (if I got there by uninstalling the existing cat drivers
    >and normal reboot) and only then can I install the updated drivers (if I'm lucky). Reinstalling the
    >AGP drivers for the MOBO doesn't help either, although some web pages seem to imply that's the deep
    >seated problem behind all this.
    >
    >Anyone find a way out of this vicious circle that doesnt involve pain and suffering on a grand
    >scale? ATI drivers with a proper install that don't require a previous driver uninstall (so you can
    >then roll back if anything untoward happens) would be nice, but hey,that's ATI.

    Did you uninstall the ATI drivers or remove them with the ATI Software
    Uninstaller, S?

    There are several different Windows Standard VGA drivers, and it seems
    you need to have the correct one (not always the one Windows thinks is
    correct, and not always the same one for different cards) running to
    satisfy the ATI installer. I've always found that the best way to
    make sure you get the right one is to uninstall all your ATI software
    and drivers from Add/Remove Programs, uninstalling the display driver
    last. Reboot and the right VGA driver should be in place. _Then_ run
    the ATI Software Uninstaller (or cat-uninstaller.exe if you had
    separate drivers installed) to clear the old stuff off your system.

    Alternatively, you should be able to install the drivers manually.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Sham B

    TMack Guest

    "Sham B" <> wrote in message
    > Right.
    >
    > I have the cat3.7 drivers, which have been the most stable ATI offering

    for some time, but now I
    > hear that the 4.x ones are looking good, so thought Id give them a whirl.
    >
    > Every time I uninstall the ATI driver, I get down to VGASafe drivers,

    which, from what I understand,
    > is what XP uses when it can find no other suitable drivers that will work

    without conflicts. Its
    > XP's way of saying 'You nearly ended up with a blank screen, but I just

    saved you, clever OS that I
    > am! .... um.... although you cant really fix the problem easily now, so

    you're prolly still in a
    > mess, its just that you get to look at the UI in 640x400 as well this

    way'.

    > I get this VGASafe 'feature' even If I tell XP to use VGA drivers at

    bootup (f8)

    > trouble is that ATI drivers refuse to install over VGASafe coming up with

    some 'there is a problem
    > that prevents these drivers installing, try again with VGA drivers'. so

    once I get to a boot up
    > with VGASafe, I'm stuck, the easiest way out is to go back to the

    installed cat drivers (if I got
    > there with F8) or a repair reinstall of XP (if I got there by uninstalling

    the existing cat drivers
    > and normal reboot) and only then can I install the updated drivers (if I'm

    lucky). Reinstalling the
    > AGP drivers for the MOBO doesn't help either, although some web pages seem

    to imply that's the deep
    > seated problem behind all this.
    >
    > Anyone find a way out of this vicious circle that doesnt involve pain and

    suffering on a grand
    > scale? ATI drivers with a proper install that don't require a previous

    driver uninstall (so you can
    > then roll back if anything untoward happens) would be nice, but hey,that's

    ATI.

    I had the same problem with Win2k. Until I installed the graphics card using
    one of the the Win2k standard drivers I couln't get it to recognise my card
    at all - just stayed with that damned vgasave. Try installing standard basic
    WinXP VGA drivers such as S3 Virge using the 'update driver' option from
    control panel/hardware/device manager. These should work OK and give you
    basic 640x480 VGA screen to work with (you may get corrupted images during
    bootup but the final windows screen should be OK). Then use the 'update
    driver' option from control panel/hardware/device manager to install ATI
    driver from inf file in folder where drivers are stored.

    You can then install any other ATI driver over the ones that you have
    installed. I have never bothered to uninstall CAT drivers - I just install
    new over the old and have never had a problem. I have even installed old
    over new without a problem.

    Tony

    TMack, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Sham B

    Asestar Guest

    Of course, you can always install 4.xx drivers on top of 3.7's ! No problems
    for me so far tough.

    However, I like newest Omega drivers, as they enabled me to overclock
    9600SE.

    Asestar, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Sham B

    Sham B Guest

    hi Patrick

    > Did you uninstall the ATI drivers or remove them with the ATI Software
    > Uninstaller, S?

    Uninstall. Whatever way I do it (including manual install), the new drivers dont seem to finish
    unless I do it as part of anOS reinstall. I think I must have faulty/incorrect standard vga
    drivers, so that must be why I keep going down to vgaSafe. I'll try to find a good set of VGA
    drivers and retry.

    thanks

    Sham B, Apr 21, 2004