    screen I can only see parts of 4 pages, not all of 2.) Only thing I
    could find in this user group was some code that someone suggested in
    1999, I wouldn't even know how to use that. Thanks for any help,

    Tom Yang, Nov 3, 2005

  2. Tom Yang

    Stefan Blom Guest

    Switch to Print Layout view and then, on the Standard toolbar, click
    the Zoom button, and choose the "Two pages" view.

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    "Tom Yang" wrote in message
    > Hi, Is there any way to split the screen vertically, to view two

    pages
    > of the same Word document side by side? I know about the horizontal
    > split screen function in Word, but it doesn't do me much good. (The
    > reason is, I've got a 24 inch LCD monitor, perfect for viewing 2

    full
    > pages of the same document side by side, but with the horizontal

    split

    Stefan Blom, Nov 3, 2005

  3. Tom Yang

    Tom Yang Guest

    Sorry, my question was not stated clearly.

    To see all of 2 consecutive pages is not a problem: I can do that in
    the ordinary view (without going to print layout), thanks to my big
    screen (MS Word expands to show 2 or more consecutive pages).

    My problem is, I need to see 2 pages that are far apart, not
    consecutive. Am working with a 45-page document, where I want to e.g.
    look at page 14 and also page 33 at the same time. A vertical split
    screen, like the horizontal split screen, would be great for this.
    Thanks

    Tom Yang

    Tom Yang, Nov 3, 2005
  4. Tom Yang

    Tom Yang Guest

    Sorry, my question was not stated clearly.

    To see all of 2 consecutive pages is not a problem: I can do that in
    the ordinary view (without going to print layout), thanks to my big
    screen (MS Word expands to show 2 or more consecutive pages).

    My problem is, I need to see 2 pages that are far apart, not
    consecutive. Am working with a 45-page document, where I want to e.g.
    look at page 14 and also page 33 at the same time. A vertical split
    screen, like the horizontal split screen, would be great for this.

    Also, I'd need to avoid having to go to print layout view. The reason I
    need to see 2 non-consecutive pages is that I am editing them, and
    editing is difficult in print layout view. Thanks,

    Tom Yang

    Tom Yang, Nov 3, 2005
  5. Tom Yang

    Stefan Blom Guest

    Does the following help? First create an additional window for the
    document: On the Window menu, click New Window. Then right-click the
    taskbar and choose to arrange the windows as desired.

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    Stefan Blom, Nov 3, 2005
  6. Tom Yang

    Tom Yang Guest

    Stefan, You are absolutely right, it does work! I cannot believe I've
    lumbered these years & never actually tried that! It had occurred to
    me to open a new window but I assumed it would have to saved as a
    different document. It's not, it's still the same doc.... Thanks so
    much!!! No need for the vertical split now. (sorry I deleted my
    no way to not let it show.....) Tom

    Tom Yang, Nov 3, 2005
  7. Tom Yang

    Stefan Blom Guest

    I'm glad I could help.

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    "Tom Yang" wrote in message
    > Stefan, You are absolutely right, it does work! I cannot believe

    I've
    > lumbered these years & never actually tried that! It had occurred

    > me to open a new window but I assumed it would have to saved as a
    > different document. It's not, it's still the same doc.... Thanks so
    > much!!! No need for the vertical split now. (sorry I deleted my

    there's

    Stefan Blom, Nov 3, 2005
  8. Also note that if you have Word 2003, you can use Compare Side by Side on
    the Window menu.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Nov 3, 2005
  9. Tom Yang

    Guest

    Oh, thanks for the tip. Alas, at our firm here in Seoul, Korea we're
    still using clunky Word 2000. :( With 2000 there's the added
    headache of not being able to open a new view within the same Word
    window. :( I notice that a macro someone posted once for an 'MDI
    toggle' doesn't seem to be available any more.....
    thanks,
    Tom Yang

    , Nov 4, 2005

    Tom Yang, Nov 4, 2005
  11. Tom Yang

    bfg67

    Joined:
    May 26, 2011
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks Stefan. Really good trick - i have never used 'new window' before, and i love how it edits both documents when you make a change

    bfg67, Apr 20, 2012