    primary partion on a server with PM? If so can you give me details in how to
    go about doing this? Or is there another solution without setting up a new
    DC.

    Dan, Jan 7, 2007

  2. Dan

    Gary Chanson Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a windows 2000 server with four 18GB Hot swap drives, the system is
    > configured for RAID 5 with 1 Hot spare. My primary partion was partitioned
    > for 4GB and the rest for Data. Its been fine for about 6 years and now my
    > primary partition has only 1GB left. Has anyone successfully increased the
    > primary partion on a server with PM? If so can you give me details in how

    > go about doing this? Or is there another solution without setting up a new
    > DC.

    The only problem with this is that the standard version of Partition
    Magic does not support server operating systems. If you use the server
    version of this or another program, you should be able to resize the
    partition.

    --

    - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
    - Abolish Public Schools

    Gary Chanson, Jan 7, 2007

  3. In article <#>,
    says...

    > "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a windows 2000 server with four 18GB Hot swap drives, the system is
    > > configured for RAID 5 with 1 Hot spare. My primary partion was partitioned
    > > for 4GB and the rest for Data. Its been fine for about 6 years and now my
    > > primary partition has only 1GB left. Has anyone successfully increased the
    > > primary partion on a server with PM? If so can you give me details in how

    > > go about doing this? Or is there another solution without setting up a new
    > > DC.

    > The only problem with this is that the standard version of Partition
    > Magic does not support server operating systems. If you use the server
    > version of this or another program, you should be able to resize the
    > partition.

    I think the bootable floppy or CD version might work unless they
    actually check the Windows version on the drive.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    Andrew Rossmann, Jan 8, 2007
  4. Dan

    Gary Chanson Guest

    "Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > In article <#>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have a windows 2000 server with four 18GB Hot swap drives, the

    system is
    > > > configured for RAID 5 with 1 Hot spare. My primary partion was

    partitioned
    > > > for 4GB and the rest for Data. Its been fine for about 6 years and now

    my
    > > > primary partition has only 1GB left. Has anyone successfully increased

    the
    > > > primary partion on a server with PM? If so can you give me details in

    how
    > > > go about doing this? Or is there another solution without setting up a

    new
    > > > DC.

    > > The only problem with this is that the standard version of Partition
    > > Magic does not support server operating systems. If you use the server
    > > version of this or another program, you should be able to resize the
    > > partition.

    > I think the bootable floppy or CD version might work unless they
    > actually check the Windows version on the drive.

    They do check it. One way to fool the check is to have an active
    bootable partition with Win2KPro installed on it in addition to the
    Win2KServer partition, but this is hard to arrange after the fact.

    Gary Chanson, Jan 9, 2007
  5. Dan

    James Guest

    Gary Chanson wrote:
    > "Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> In article <#>,
    >> says...
    >>> "Dan" <> wrote in message

    > system is

    > partitioned

    > my

    > the

    > how

    > new
    >>> The only problem with this is that the standard version of Partition
    >>> Magic does not support server operating systems. If you use the server
    >>> version of this or another program, you should be able to resize the
    >>> partition.

    >> I think the bootable floppy or CD version might work unless they
    >> actually check the Windows version on the drive.

    > They do check it. One way to fool the check is to have an active
    > bootable partition with Win2KPro installed on it in addition to the
    > Win2KServer partition, but this is hard to arrange after the fact.
    >
    > --
    >
    > - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
    > - Abolish Public Schools

    Not that it is much help at this time but this problem is exactly why I
    have a small drive with the OS and my raid is for data & apps only.
    With the small drive imaged to the raid and a Drive Image recovery disk
    made after all the raid system has been setup I have been able to
    restore the boot drive image, in tests, to the boot drive in the event
    of a failure of that drive. If the drive were to faile for real, or
    become to small due to the growth of WM$ over its life cycle it can be
    replaced with a minimum of lost hair. I also have the image on DVD's,
    only 1 is needed but they fail also, in case Drive Image decides it no
    longer wants to see the raid copy when needed.

    James

    James, Jan 10, 2007
  6. Dan

    arno Guest

    > They do check it.

    Version 5 of Partition Magic does NOT check the OS! It worked for me,
    Win2k Server.

    arno

    arno, Jan 11, 2007
  7. Dan

    Gary Chanson Guest

    "arno" <> wrote in message
    > > They do check it.

    > Version 5 of Partition Magic does NOT check the OS! It worked for me,
    > Win2k Server.

    Good to know. V5 might be too old to handle larger drives and it won't
    handle newer NTFS versions (XP and later), but if you don't run into
    problems like that, you're in good shape.

    Gary Chanson, Jan 11, 2007