Using MS Access 2007 to gather survey data via e-mail messages

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access' started by Guest, Aug 6, 2007.

    I am attempting to create a survey using the "Collect data by using e-mail
    messages" feature in MS Access 2007.

    There is only 1 table named 'SurveyAug07', in the format of
    [FieldName:DataType:AdditionalNotes], the fields are [ID:Number:unique],
    [Q1:Text:N/A], [Q2a:Yes/No:N/A], [Q2b:Yes/No:N/A], [Q2c: Yes/No:N/A],
    [Q4:Number:Lookup Column by manual typed options]

    Following the Microsoft walkthrough
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA100154271033.aspx, I have created
    a form to send out using Outlook 2007. However, I have encountered some
    issues. I am not sure if these are designed by nature, or some additional
    steps are required. Please could you assist?

    1. I have selected 'HTML form' -> 'Collect new information only', 'specify
    all the data fields (apart from ID) in the email message form' and 'ticked
    automatically process replies and data...' When I received the survey form I
    found all fields are
    in the form of text boxes.

    I was expecting some dropdown list, checkbox list, or radiobuttons
    displaying the options in the 'lookup columns' typed in the database but it
    only shows a message "
    Type the number corresponding to the value you want. Click this link or
    scroll down to see your choices." How could I change this so it the user
    would see a dropdown list/checkbox list instead of a text box?

    2. As above, for Q2a, Q2b, and Q3c, it asks the user to manually type in
    'Yes' or 'No' in the text box. instead of showing a radio button or check
    box. Can this be changed? This would makes data collection more efficient
    and force the user in providing meaningful data.

    3. Is it possible to add validation checks to the email form created using
    the "Collect data through e-mail messages Wizard"? For instance, in Q2b,
    when I try to type 'Yess' it causes an updated failure once the survey is
    received.

    Many thanks for your time in dealing with my issues and enquiry. If you
    have any sample database (surveys) please let me know.

    Guest, Aug 6, 2007

    Hi Will,

    If you've chosen the HTML-option you will get only text options. There isn't
    any kind of control added. This is done so it can be used independent of any
    software. This means that all returned data is also returned as when send
    out. If you do want all the fancy stuff and validation I'd recommend using
    InfoPath as a source. That's the application where you can build your form
    using validation and controls. Only disadvantage is that the receiving needs
    to have InfoPath available.

    So you see the usage can be a two way option: either Html without all the
    fancy stuff of using the InfoPath option with all the fancy stuff.

    I can surely recommend taking a look at how to use InfoPath for this matter.
    See link below for some demo's on this.

    hth
    --
    Maurice Ausum

    Guest, Aug 6, 2007

    Maurice,

    Thanks for your quick reply. I guess I could not use the InfoPath option as
    the marjority of the survey participants would not have InfoPath on their
    machines.

    I have problem in finding the links for the demo databases.

    kind Regards,

    will

    Guest, Aug 7, 2007