    sent by a fax device and pop them into a folder without ringing my phone?

    Thanks,
    Harriett

    Harriett Wright, Mar 29, 2004

  2. Harriett Wright

    Mike Guest

    "Harriett Wright" <> wrote in message
    news:NGJ9c.3601$...
    > When I got a cable connection I disconnected my second phone line.

    However,
    > the service comes with a certain amount of dial up access, which I thought

    > could use to send and receive faxes, so I installed Microsoft Fax and

    hooked
    > my computer up to my regular phone line. It seems to work OK for sending

    > fax, but I had to disable the receive function, because it tried to answer
    > all my regular incoming phone calls. I would pick up the phone and my
    > conversation would be immediately interrupted by that awful fax-answering
    > noise. The fax monitor would then report: "ringing" . . . "ringing" . .

    ..
    > "the call was answered" . . . "an error occurred while receiving the fax."
    >
    > Is there some way to configure the thing so it will quietly answer calls
    > sent by a fax device and pop them into a folder without ringing my phone?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Harriett

    Faxing is still best done on a dedicated fax machine.. at least they can
    distinguish between a regular call and a fax.. where I live in Canada, dial
    up is all that we can have (other than really expensive satellite).. I do
    send faxes out when required, but receiving them is a nightmare.. I have to
    set fax to receive after two rings if I know that I am going to get one
    otherwise voice mail cuts in.. and then I have to reset to enough rings such
    that it somebody wants to leave voice mail, they are not interrupted with
    fax handshakes.. I tried a device that claimed to overcome the problem few
    years ago but it was entirely useless.. the battle continues.. :)

    Mike, Mar 29, 2004

  3. Harriett Wright

    Victor D. Guest

    If you are referring to the Window XP fax program, it does not support
    distinctive ring. Therefore it will answer all calls. You can go into
    options and select manual answer.

    Victor D., Mar 29, 2004
  4. Harriett Wright

    Pavel Guest

    > If you are referring to the Window XP fax program, it does not support
    > distinctive ring. Therefore it will answer all calls. You can go into
    > options and select manual answer.

    Try VentaFax & Voice (www.ventafax.com). Fax & answering
    machine (2 in 1). Distinctive ring service is available even in
    Windows 2000 and XP.

    Pavel

    Pavel, Mar 29, 2004
  5. These third party hardware devices can provide a work-around to the lack of
    Distinctive Ring support:

    http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
    Emerson Switchboard
    http://www.command-comm.com/phone_line_products.html