Using data from an extracted table

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access Forms' started by hj, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. hj

    hj Guest

    Hi Kate,
    Sounds suspiciously like the use of a function without
    a leading = sign.
    One other good possibility is name spelling. If there
    are spaces in the field name you must reference the field
    name using square brackets - Access doesn't handle free
    spaces well - it gets confused and wants to invoke a
    function instead of recognizing the complete field name
    for what it is.

    Suggest you also review Help for the #Name? error to make
    sure you haven't run afoul of any other possiblities
    either.

    Hope this helps. If not, supply the textbox syntax and
    we'll try again.

    one. I'm breaking one large table into about 3 or 4
    smaller ones. No matter which way I try populating the
    data into the smaller tables..ie...importing/exporting or
    just copying and pasting...I cannot get the data to
    populate in a textbox when I create the form. I've
    checked and double checked the ControlSource and the all
    field names match up. I even tried using the expression
    builder to populate them. The end result is ALWAYS the
    #Name? error in the textbox. Is there something else that
    I'm missing or doing wrong? The tables populate just fine
    but its the textboxes that I can't get. Any info would be
    helpful at this point

    hj, Jul 27, 2004

  2. hj

    hj Guest

    Hi back, Kate -
    I think Access is trying to stick a function in the
    process because of the = sign, and of course the function
    doesn't exist, hence the #name? error. Since you are
    simply supplying a field value and not an expression, try
    leaving the = sign out of the control source entry. If
    the expression builder sticks it in, just backspace over
    it.
    You've got my attention now - I'm stickin' with it 'til
    its fixed!

    hj, leaving at 4:30 CDT. I'll be back tomorrow at 8.

    expression builder
    >=[CityOrCounty] <-----------this I typed in the

    ControlSource Manually
    >I get #Name? in both txtboxes.
    >This is also the millionth time (or so it seems) that

    I've recreated the issue...this is not the actual DB or
    field names I'm working with...I figure it's something I'm
    doing (or not doing) in each situation that cause this to
    happen each time.

    hj, Jul 27, 2004

  3. hj

    hj Guest

    Kate,
    It looks like you've posted this question in another
    group and are getting response from Van. I think he an I
    agree that there is a syntax problem, so you need to look
    at every character for the problem. My last suggestion of
    trying to leave the = sign out in the Control Source
    should be given a try.
    If you've solved the problem, I'd appreciate a post
    back - I kind of feel responsible for a good outcome since
    I answered your intial call for help. If I'm not helping,
    just say so, and I'll let better folks try to solve the
    mystery. I'll hang on for another day or so before I let
    it go.

    Best wishes. hj

    hj, Jul 28, 2004