Using a router when playing games

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just bought a Netgear DG834G which is providing two PCs with an ADSL connection. We've run into a problem playing games, in that if we both want to play online it seems that it only works for one of us. I'm guessing that the data is sent into the router which can't distinguish which PC it is actually for so just sends it to whichever one started the game first. Any ideas how I get around this?

h

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Now there's an interesting problem. I'm wondering if it can be done, I'll have to try that with CoD myself and see what happens.

Something I've never considered.

Maybe getting more bandwidth from your ISP may help?

Sorry I can't be more help. But I really haven't got an answer.

Reaction score
Ok, if anyone's interested I've now solved this problem. Despite the fact that the router has an in-built rule which stipulates ANY traffic should be let outbound on ANY port, I had to set up specific rules to enable some UDP ports to have ANY traffic sent out on them at ANY time. Once this was done everything worked fine. So I don't know why it's necessary, but it woud appear it is! I've done this for Far Cry so if anyone ever needs to know the port numbers just let me know.

Ask a Question