    unfortunately, access the internet and brings "Sales Ads" to me which I
    don't want. If I can block it from doing this, the program will run just
    fine.

    JCO, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Is your router also a firewall? If so, block all inbound access to your
    computer/network from the Internet....it's rarely necessary. If it isn't a
    firewall, but just a NAT device, I'd consider replacing it with a more
    robust model that does stateful inspection & packet filtering....Linksys
    makes some. Or get personal firewall software such as www.sygate.com

    Re ads: if you're talking about "messenger spam" from the windows Messenger
    service, the firewall will stop it if configured properly. If you mean popup
    ads in IE, look at a popup blocker such as that at www.panicware.com or
    www.fadsoft.com

    Also can't hurt to run AdAware or Spybot (I prefer AdAware myself) -
    www.lavasoftusa.com

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Jul 10, 2003

  3. "Steven L Umbach" <> wrote in message
    > That level of control is probably not possible with the Linksys

    which
    > is a real basic device [at least my older one is]. Refer to the user

    manual
    > for your model and look for filtering or firewall rules. Linksys has their
    > manuals online. Something that will work is one of the free [for personal
    > use] personal firewalls that can very effectively control this kind of
    > traffic by direction, ip address, port, protocol, and even application. I
    > use Kerio on my computer and the Linksys at the cable modem, but Kerio is

    > bit difficult for beginners. --- Steve

    Depending on the budget, I'd suggest the Watchguard Soho 6. I've installed
    perhaps a half dozen lately and for the price you can't beat the ease of use
    and the feature set included. No affiliation with Watchguard, just pleased
    with a good product.

    Paul

    Paul M. Cook©®, Jul 10, 2003
  4. JCO

    JCO Guest

    Thanks Paul

    JCO, Jul 11, 2003
  5. JCO

    JCO Guest

    I'm not sure how to tell the model number of this router.
    A friend gave it to me. How can I find out the model and/or how old it is.

    JCO, Jul 11, 2003
  6. JCO

    Bob I Guest

    They are usually labeled on the outside. On the bottom and on the back
    are most common locations. Altho sometimes they will place it on the front.

    Bob I, Jul 11, 2003
  7. JCO

    JCO Guest

    The model number is BEFSR41.

    JCO, Jul 12, 2003
  8. JCO

    JCO Guest

    It says "Etherfast Cable / DSL Router
    Model BEFSR41

    I don't know if it is also a firewall although I was led to believe that all
    router offer protection in that area. I can get into a setup area and
    increase the protection by clicking on a section that ties the router to
    Zone Alarm. One reason for using the router was to avoid a software that
    slows the internet down.

    Thanks!

    JCO, Jul 12, 2003
  9. I'm pretty sure that's the router we used in my old apt. Try this:

    1) Find out what ports the traffic is coming in on. If you can isolate
    what port Gains is listening on, that would help you block the port.
    www.foundstone.com has some forensics that may help here. You may want
    to filter OUTBOUND traffic from your machine on the problem port. If
    the spyware on your box can't contact the mothership, you won't get the ads.

    2) I would firewall (Block WAN Requests). On your router, it's kind of
    an all-or-nothing thing. Machines you contact would still be able to
    communicate, but the ad servers wouldn't be able to get in. That kind
    of depends on how the client-server relationship works for that spyware.

    3) Install AdAware. And *seriously* consider whether or not you really
    need Gator. There are a ton of programs out there that will remember
    form input (IE6 will, I think. Mozilla 1.3 will). Gator is a known
    vector for spyware. So if you're going to use it, be prepared for the
    consequences. Hot-coal-walkers don't usually bitch about how hot their
    feet are...

    I won't lie--this is going to be a headache. I had one roommate who shut
    the other three of us out by redirecting ports 1024-2048 back to his IP.
    We couldn't get DNS resolution because our machines were assigning
    their dynamic ports in that range (as all Win boxes will) and using that
    as our end of the DNS query. So think good and hard about #3.

    HTH!

    (j)

    **Notes for other people reading this thead:
    The Linksys router is a PAT router with just an all-or-nothing firewall
    capability. The best you can do is set up port redirections for inbound
    connections (to dead IPs, if need be). That said, it's got enough to do
    the job here (IMHO). But it'll take some TLC.

    James Williams, Jul 12, 2003