using 1 form to update 2 linked tables

Reaction score
I am a big-time newbie to Access, so please accept my apologies if these questions are really dumb. I have 2 problems that are similar to each other, but I can't figure out how so solve them. So I hope someone can help me.

Problem 1: Using the same form to add entries into a field in a linked table

What I have: A field in one of my tables is linked to a list of values in another table. I've created a form where when I am entering data, I can use a combo-box to choose one of the values from the other table.

What I need: I need to add the ability to create a new entry into the list of values if it is not already on the list. For example, the main table contains information about a tutorial session with a field linked to a list of tutors (e.g., TUTORIALSESSION.TutorName links to TUTOR.TutorName). I would need to be able to add a new tutor to my list of tutors (TUTOR.TutorName) while entering data for each tutorial session if that tutor is not already listed in my tutor table.

Problem 2 expands upon Problem 1.

Problem 2: Using the same form to add entries into multiple fields in a linked table if a key value is new, or, if the key value already exists, getting the data from multiple fields related to that value and automatically entering them in 2 fields in the form.

What I have: As in Problem 1, a field in one of my tables is linked to a list of values in another table. I've created a form where when I am entering data, I can use a combo-box to choose one of the values from the other table.

What I need: (1) In my form, if a value is new (i.e., not already in the linked table and thus not in my drop-down combo-box), I need to add the ability to create a new entry into the list of values and add corresponding related information into the linked table. For example, the main table contains information about a tutorial session with a field linked to a list of students (e.g., TUTORIALSESSION.StudentID links to STUDENT.StudentID). I would need to be able to add a new StudentID, FirstName and LastName to my list of students in my STUDENT table while entering data for each tutorial session.

(2) If, however, the student is already in the student table, I would need to get the student's first and last name and have these automatically entered into associated fields in the form. At this point, the TUTORIALSESSION.StudentID link in the current record would need to be added, but not STUDENT.StudentID, STUDENT.FirstName or STUDENT.LastName as these last 3 already exist in the database.

I hope that was clear. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ask a Question