Windows Vista User profile service service failed to log in

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

Can anyone help me please ?

I tried to log onto my PC as normal last night and for some unknown reason it wont let me in using my normal password ? I get an error message User profile service service failed to log in.

Do I have a virus on my pc ?

Is there a back door way to log in without causing any damage to my PC ?

I have a Dell inspiron and the Vista home premium package with Mccaffe virus guard the PC is only 3 months old and everything is legit

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Exact same problem here! Profile loads up alright in safe mode but cannot load in normal mode. It doesn't let me past the welcome screen. Already tried creating new account, deleting relevant registry entries, system restore; no effect! Even installed vista on separate partition again but the problem reappeared shortly after installing a few drivers. Pls help!!!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I would boot to safe mode and run a virus scan.

Aside from that, try disabling startup software in safe mode. Start, run, msconfig. Click the startup tab, take note of that which is checked and click the disable all button. restart and try again.

Reaction score
I would boot to safe mode and run a virus scan.

Aside from that, try disabling startup software in safe mode. Start, run, msconfig. Click the startup tab, take note of that which is checked and click the disable all button. restart and try again.

Thanks for the tip, I disabled almost all third party programs from startup, even messed up with services but couldn't get past the welcome screen in normal mode. Finally I started uninstaling everything one at a time and found out that zone alarm extreme security was the cause behind it all. It is very surprising to know that such a reputable software could cause vista corruption. Wasted 40 bucks buying it, I guess norton internet security rules

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
None of them "rule." They all have their downfalls and the more commonly identified ones are usually the first to fall. A good "internet use policy" is the best idea. If someone wants into your machine, they will get in no matter what.

Ask a Question