Windows XP User Accounts in XP - Help!!

Reaction score
Hi
I have recently had my desktop PC rebuilt following a virus attack.
It runs fine again now, but I can't create User Accounts properly ( running Win XP Professional). This is what happens.
Initial user creation will only allow administrator type, although there is a pre-installed admin account.
When I create, a new desktop appears and initialises, but then the screen freezes, leaving me no option but to switch off and reboot. If I create a second, limited account, the same thing happens, but this time I get a yellow triangle with the word "error" and option yes/no. I press yes, the screen remains frozen and I have to switch off again. If I select either user from the welcome screen, desktop freezes. The only way I can use the machine is to delete the limited account, and use the created user (administrator type) - effectively an exposed single user access- not ideal. All creations and deletions I have done logging in as administrator. I can't find anything quite like this in the forum. Any idea? Treat me gently - I'm not very technical.
Many Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
user accounts - update

A Guest account is enabled, and appears on the welcome screen.
Could that be causing the problem? Should guests be enabled after users?

Ask a Question