USB2 device can't find USB2 Port...

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Guest, Feb 1, 2006.

    I've read about similar problems in other threads, but I can't get anything
    to work.

    My problem: I have a USB2 scanner. When I plug it in and turn it on I get a
    message stating: "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a
    Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Port. For a list of available ports, click here."

    I click on the message and it lists "USB Root Hub" with 8 ports available.
    My computer is an MSI K8n Neo motherboard and has 8 USB2 ports, 4 on the back
    and two USB connections on the motherboard (JUSB1 and JUSB2) for putting
    extra ports in the expansion slots. I have that cable hooked up. No matter
    which port I plug into (any of the 8 I have available) I get the message.

    In Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers I have the
    following listed:
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

    When I go into properties for the three USB Root Hub entries and select the
    Power tab I get (from top to bottom) 4 ports available, 4 ports available, 8
    ports available. Of course that's with the scanner unplugged.

    I have an internal USB2 card reader that plugs into the JUSBx port on the
    motherboard. When I plug that in to the JUSB2 connection it adds a "USB Mass
    Storage Device" into the list and it shows up in the first USB Root Hub under
    Power. If I plug in my printer (Canon S9000) into one of the back USB ports
    it shows up in the first USB Root Hub under Power and a USB Printing Support
    entry shows up under USB Controllers. When I plug my scanner in after these
    devices I get different messages depending on which port I plug into. If I
    use the back ports it says the same message as above, that I need to plug it
    into a hi-speed port. If I plug it into one of the ports supplied by JUSB1 it
    says "Unknown Device" and that it's not functioning properly.

    Any clues? I have tried turning off all USB devices and uninstalling all
    the entries under USB Controllers and then restarting. They all come back.
    But it doesn't help.

    Of course this used to work, and I haven't changed anything. Seriously, it
    used to work yesterday and today it doesn't. The Card reader is always on (as
    it doens't have an off switch) and the printer is left on also. The scanner
    is turned on when necessary. Taking the printer and card reader out don't
    help. I have also tried disabling each of the USB Root Hub's in all
    combinations and either the scanner isn't recognized at all, or it gives me
    the message that I need a hi-speed port.

    Thanks,

    Scott

    Guest, Feb 1, 2006

    Oh yeah, I'm on XP SP2.

    Scott

    Guest, Feb 1, 2006

  3. You didn't say if you installed the software for your USB 2 scanner. Mine
    wouldn't function until I did.

    --

    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from George Ankner:

    Richard Urban, Feb 2, 2006

    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > You didn't say if you installed the software for your USB 2 scanner. Mine
    > wouldn't function until I did.

    I didn't say that specifically but I did say it was working only yesterday.
    So yes, I have installed the scanner driver/software. I also uninstalled it
    in device manager, then ran setup again for the driver/software. Same issue.

    The weirdest thing to me is the three USB Root Hub entries in device
    manager. I only have 8 ports available, but with the three USB Root Hub
    entries it seems the computer thinks I have 16. 8 of which seem to show as
    USB 1 and the other 8 as USB 2, but I can't plug a device in and get it to
    show up as a device under the 8 that Windows thinks is USB2.

    My USB2 card reader doesn't give me this message when I plug it in to the
    JUSB1 connection on the motherboard, and it shows up as a device in the same
    USB Root Hub as my scanner.

    Even stranger I think the scanner is working at USB 2 speeds. It has a
    firewire connection as well and when I plug it in using the Firewire cable it
    functions just as fast as when plugged in via USB. Either I'm getting USB2
    speeds even though the message is showing up, or my Firewire is really slow.

    Guest, Feb 2, 2006

    R. McCarty Guest

    Sorry to repeat myself, but there is a general misunderstanding about
    USB. In most all PCs there is a single USB Enhanced controller. It
    is internally routed to ALL sockets. Then in addition, there are also
    Standard USB1(.1) hubs. So if your PC has 8 sockets, there will be
    4 Standard USB controllers/Hubs in addition to the single enhanced
    controller. As to your problem, I would probably unplug all the USB
    peripherals. Add the System Environment variable:
    DevMgr_Show_NonPresent_Devices
    set it's value to 1.
    Open Device Manager, Click View & tic/check "Show Hidden Devices:"
    Uninstall everything in the Universal Serial Bus Controller category.
    Then remove "Phantoms" from their appropriate categories (Except
    for System/Sound/Non-Plug&Play. Then download and install the
    latest Chipset driver package for your motherboard, Install & Reboot.

    R. McCarty, Feb 2, 2006

    R. McCarty: I tried your suggestion of putting in the environment variable,
    the removing phantom entries. There were a lot.

    I "think" I tried turning on the scanner after doing that and got the same
    message. I'm a little fuzzy on if I did that or not because I tried updating
    my bios and it fried my system. I am no longer getting the machine to post or
    even attempt to access the floppy drive during power-on.

    So, I may never know if it actually worked. I will keep it in mind if I get
    the machine back up and running.

    Guest, Feb 3, 2006

    OK. I'm back up and running without the errors when I turn on my scanner.

    As noted in my other post my machine stopped posting or doing anything after
    flashing my bios. I had to take the motherboard out of the computer, hook it
    up externally and it booted. I flashed it again with an even newer bios, put
    it back in the case and now everything is working correctly. I must have had
    something shorting out, but it's a mystery why flashing the bios made it show
    up.

    Now when I turn on my scanner it shows up in the USB Root Hub entry in
    Device Manager that Windows originally thought were my USB2 ports. My card
    reader is also showing up there too. So hopefully I'll get better speed out
    of both, or at least the speed I thought I was getting before this whole
    thing started.

    Thanks for the help.

    Guest, Feb 3, 2006