USB trouble

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Jim Ludwig, Jul 5, 2009.

  1. Jim Ludwig

    Jim Ludwig Guest

    Hi all,
    I have recently had some new usb problems that I can't explain. I have an
    older Gateway P4 running
    WinXP that has 2 front usb 1.0 ports and 2 rear usb 1.0 ports. I have also
    installed a pci usb 2.0 card some time ago. Recently, the built in ports
    have stopped working properly. If I plug my thumb drive into the front
    port, it is recognized and shows up in My Computer or Windows Explorer.
    However, I can't access the files on it. I get an error message about
    input/output problems. Also, I have an HP Photosmart multifunction printer
    plugged into the back. I keep getting balloon notifications down in the
    system tray telling me that my HP Multifunction device has been
    disconnected, but of course it hasn't. Furthermore, I can't print to this
    printer at all. If I send a print job, the printer comes alive and I see
    the status screen behaving as if it were taking in all the data prior to
    printing. However, this goes on way longer than it should and finally, the
    printer spits out a paper with maybe on line printed on it or if the type
    was large, only half the line will be printed. So far, it appears that my
    pci card is working fine. Also, there are no conflicts in Device Manager.
    So evidentally, I'm having some sort of input/output issue. Any thoughts to
    what is going on here?
    Thanks,
    Jim

    Jim Ludwig, Jul 5, 2009

  2. Jim Ludwig

    Jim Guest

    On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 23:57:05 -0500, "Jim Ludwig" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >I have recently had some new usb problems that I can't explain. I have an
    >older Gateway P4 running
    >WinXP that has 2 front usb 1.0 ports and 2 rear usb 1.0 ports. I have also
    >installed a pci usb 2.0 card some time ago. Recently, the built in ports
    >have stopped working properly. If I plug my thumb drive into the front
    >port, it is recognized and shows up in My Computer or Windows Explorer.
    >However, I can't access the files on it. I get an error message about
    >input/output problems. Also, I have an HP Photosmart multifunction printer
    >plugged into the back. I keep getting balloon notifications down in the
    >system tray telling me that my HP Multifunction device has been
    >disconnected, but of course it hasn't. Furthermore, I can't print to this
    >printer at all. If I send a print job, the printer comes alive and I see
    >the status screen behaving as if it were taking in all the data prior to
    >printing. However, this goes on way longer than it should and finally, the
    >printer spits out a paper with maybe on line printed on it or if the type
    >was large, only half the line will be printed. So far, it appears that my
    >pci card is working fine. Also, there are no conflicts in Device Manager.
    >So evidentally, I'm having some sort of input/output issue. Any thoughts to
    >what is going on here?
    >Thanks,
    >Jim

    Upgrade the usb 1.0 sockets to usb 2.0 .

    Jim, Jul 5, 2009

  3. Jim Ludwig

    SC Tom Guest

    "Jim Ludwig" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I have recently had some new usb problems that I can't explain. I have an
    > older Gateway P4 running
    > WinXP that has 2 front usb 1.0 ports and 2 rear usb 1.0 ports. I have
    > also
    > installed a pci usb 2.0 card some time ago. Recently, the built in ports
    > have stopped working properly. If I plug my thumb drive into the front
    > port, it is recognized and shows up in My Computer or Windows Explorer.
    > However, I can't access the files on it. I get an error message about
    > input/output problems. Also, I have an HP Photosmart multifunction
    > printer
    > plugged into the back. I keep getting balloon notifications down in the
    > system tray telling me that my HP Multifunction device has been
    > disconnected, but of course it hasn't. Furthermore, I can't print to this
    > printer at all. If I send a print job, the printer comes alive and I see
    > the status screen behaving as if it were taking in all the data prior to
    > printing. However, this goes on way longer than it should and finally,
    > the
    > printer spits out a paper with maybe on line printed on it or if the type
    > was large, only half the line will be printed. So far, it appears that my
    > pci card is working fine. Also, there are no conflicts in Device Manager.
    > So evidentally, I'm having some sort of input/output issue. Any thoughts
    > what is going on here?
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    You're more likely to get better results from fewer answers if you cross
    post instead of multi-post.

    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Jul 5, 2009
  4. Jim Ludwig

    Roy Smith Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 23:57:05 -0500, "Jim Ludwig" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I have recently had some new usb problems that I can't explain. I have an
    >> older Gateway P4 running
    >> WinXP that has 2 front usb 1.0 ports and 2 rear usb 1.0 ports. I have also
    >> installed a pci usb 2.0 card some time ago. Recently, the built in ports
    >> have stopped working properly. If I plug my thumb drive into the front
    >> port, it is recognized and shows up in My Computer or Windows Explorer.
    >> However, I can't access the files on it. I get an error message about
    >> input/output problems. Also, I have an HP Photosmart multifunction printer
    >> plugged into the back. I keep getting balloon notifications down in the
    >> system tray telling me that my HP Multifunction device has been
    >> disconnected, but of course it hasn't. Furthermore, I can't print to this
    >> printer at all. If I send a print job, the printer comes alive and I see
    >> the status screen behaving as if it were taking in all the data prior to
    >> printing. However, this goes on way longer than it should and finally, the
    >> printer spits out a paper with maybe on line printed on it or if the type
    >> was large, only half the line will be printed. So far, it appears that my
    >> pci card is working fine. Also, there are no conflicts in Device Manager.
    >> So evidentally, I'm having some sort of input/output issue. Any thoughts to
    >> what is going on here?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jim

    > Upgrade the usb 1.0 sockets to usb 2.0 .

    It may not be possible for the average user to do that if the 1.0 USB
    ports are built into the motherboard. Did you miss this line in the
    OP's message?

    >> Recently, the built in ports have stopped working properly.

    I doubt that it would be as simple as swapping a chip on the
    motherboard. Chances are that pin requirements wouldn't be the same
    between both chips. If they are the same, then chances are the chip is
    surface mounted and the average user would not have the required
    equipment or skills needed to do the task.

    --

    Roy Smith
    Windows 7 SP1

    Roy Smith, Jul 5, 2009
  5. Jim Ludwig

    Jim Ludwig Guest

    An update...
    Tonight when my computer booted up, windows detected new hardware. It found
    a "USB Composite Device". I don't know what this is and every time it tried
    to automatically install a driver for it, the computer rebooted itself right
    after it created a restore point. So far, I am not able to install the
    driver for whatever this is. I would install from a disk, if I knew what
    disc to use. Any thoughts about this? Is this related to my original
    issue?
    Thanks again,
    Jim

    Jim Ludwig, Jul 6, 2009
  6. Jim Ludwig

    Jim Ludwig Guest

    SC Tom,
    What is the difference between cross posting and multi posting? Also, what
    do I need to do differently to do one or the other?
    Thanks,
    Jim

    Jim Ludwig, Jul 6, 2009
  7. Jim Ludwig

    Raymond Shaw Guest

    "Jim Ludwig" <> wrote:

    >SC Tom,
    >What is the difference between cross posting and multi posting? Also, what
    >do I need to do differently to do one or the other?
    >Thanks,
    >Jim

    Googling would have been a way to get your answer.

    Raymond Shaw, Jul 6, 2009
  8. Jim Ludwig

    Paul Guest

    Jim Ludwig wrote:

    > An update...
    > Tonight when my computer booted up, windows detected new hardware. It
    > found a "USB Composite Device". I don't know what this is and every
    > time it tried to automatically install a driver for it, the computer
    > rebooted itself right after it created a restore point. So far, I am
    > not able to install the driver for whatever this is. I would install
    > from a disk, if I knew what disc to use. Any thoughts about this? Is
    > this related to my original issue?
    > Thanks again,
    > Jim

    Would the USB Composite Device be your printer ? Where is
    the printer plugged in right now ? Have you un-installed
    the printer software perhaps ? Did you follow the
    instructions for the printer installation (some
    require the device plugged in, before installation,
    others require it after installation) ?

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 6, 2009
  9. On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 23:17:19 -0500, "Jim Ludwig" <>
    wrote:

    > SC Tom,
    > What is the difference between cross posting and multi posting? Also, what
    > do I need to do differently to do one or the other?

    I'm not SC Tom, but here's my standard message on the subject:

    Please do not send the same message separately to more than one
    newsgroup (called multiposting). Doing so just fragments the thread,
    so someone who answers in one newsgroup doesn't get to see answers
    from others in another newsgroup. And for those who read all the
    newsgroups the message is multiposted to, they see the message
    multiple times instead of once (they would see it only once if you
    correctly crossposted instead). This wastes everyone's time, and gets
    you poorer help than you should get.

    If you must send the same message to more than one newsgroup, please
    do so by crossposting -- sending a single message simultaneously to
    multiple newsgroups (but only to a *few* related newsgroups).

    Please see "Multiposting vs Crossposting" at

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Jul 6, 2009
  10. Jim Ludwig

    Jim Ludwig Guest

    Paul,
    You are on the right track with this I think. I did indeed have the printer
    plugged into my PCI USB 2.0 card before I installed the software. So I
    uninstalled the software and started from scratch. There comes a point in
    the software installation when it prompts me to plug the printer into the
    usb slot. When I do, the found new hardware wizard starts saying it
    detected usb composite device. Again though, it creates a restore point and
    while the graphic of the files being transferred is on the screen, the
    computer reboots itself and my installation fails. So then I discovered
    that I can install the software and bypass plugging in the printer until
    later. So I did this and removed the driver disc from the drive. However,
    every time I try plugging the printer into the port, I get the same
    rebooting result. It evidently finds the necessary driver on the hard drive
    somewhere (that's why I took the cd out because I didn't know where it was
    tying to find the driver), but it can't install it. Also, as long as I keep
    the printer plugged in, I get the wizard everytime the computer boots. Any
    ideas as to what is causing the computer to reboot?
    Thanks,
    Jim

    Jim Ludwig, Jul 12, 2009
  11. Jim Ludwig

    Paul Guest

    Jim Ludwig wrote:
    > Paul,
    > You are on the right track with this I think. I did indeed have the
    > printer plugged into my PCI USB 2.0 card before I installed the
    > software. So I uninstalled the software and started from scratch.
    > There comes a point in the software installation when it prompts me to
    > plug the printer into the usb slot. When I do, the found new hardware
    > wizard starts saying it detected usb composite device. Again though, it
    > creates a restore point and while the graphic of the files being
    > transferred is on the screen, the computer reboots itself and my
    > installation fails. So then I discovered that I can install the
    > software and bypass plugging in the printer until later. So I did this
    > and removed the driver disc from the drive. However, every time I try
    > plugging the printer into the port, I get the same rebooting result. It
    > evidently finds the necessary driver on the hard drive somewhere (that's
    > why I took the cd out because I didn't know where it was tying to find
    > the driver), but it can't install it. Also, as long as I keep the
    > printer plugged in, I get the wizard everytime the computer boots. Any
    > ideas as to what is causing the computer to reboot?
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    The reboot can be because of a crash. Do you see a blue screen with
    an error message flash by ? It is possible to prevent immediate
    rebooting, by a setting in a control panel.

    Control Panels:System:Advanced:Startup and Recovery:untick Automatically restart

    If you're getting a BSOD, now you should be able to see the error
    number.

    If, on the other hand, the crash and reboot is more uncontrolled, you
    may get different symptoms.

    I don't know too many tricks for dealing with these giant
    printer software packages. On the one hand, you can try to
    clean out the USB stack (and then let Windows rediscover the
    hardware again). That may help if something is lodged in the
    registry, which is upsetting things.

    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup Device Manager Safe Mode.htm

    " Windows Safe Mode

    The order of removal must be followed exactly

    * Delete USB peripheral devices (Scanners, Printers, Cameras etc.)
    * Delete HID and/or Composite USB (Human Interface Devices)
    * Delete USB Root Hub(s) (Universal Host Controllers)
    * Delete USB Host Controller(s) (Universal Host Controllers) "

    There is a setupapi.log file on the computer, and sometimes the
    tail end of that file has interesting stuff in it. For the moment,
    I'd try to capture a BSOD, if that is what is happening. Maybe
    it'll hint at the problem.

    Actually, I do have another suggestion for you. In your initial
    posting, you indicate that the built-in USB is in sad shape,
    while the USB PCI card works fine. If you aren't using a USB
    keyboard, I might be tempted to move all USB devices
    to the USB PCI card, and then go into the BIOS and disable
    the built-in USB. Maybe this reboot problem is related to
    Windows having a look at your "sad" USB hardware and
    encountering a problem there.

    I don't think a USB keyboard will work with a USB PCI card,
    to give you access to the BIOS. For that, you should try a
    PS/2 keyboard instead. The PCI card is good once you're out
    of the BIOS, but while in the BIOS, there are limits as to
    what hardware is supported. If you want a keyboard to work
    in the BIOS, it should be PS/2 type, or if it is USB, it
    should be plugged into the built-in USB ports (USB ports on
    the motherboard chipset, are the ones that get supported).

    There is only one chipset, which seems to be subject to a
    significant number of failures on USB. The Intel chipset
    with an ICH5 or ICH5R Southbridge, tends to get bad USB ports.
    I've probably seen at least twenty posts now, involving stuff
    like that. The really unlucky people, end up with a burned
    chip like this one. The funny thing is, I have a motherboard
    with one of these on it. I like to pretend it is a
    ticking time bomb :) The chip has no heatsink, so it is
    easy to check for the burn mark.

    http://onfinite.com/libraries/179057/2ea.jpg

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 12, 2009
  12. Jim Ludwig

    Jim Ludwig Guest

    Paul,
    Two things...
    First, I learned so much just from your reply to my post. You are obviously
    pretty knowledgable about this stuff. Thank you for the informative reply.
    Second, your suggestion indeed worked. I deleted the entire usb stack from
    device manager and let everything reload itself on a reboot and that fixed
    all my problems. As I mention in my OP that I have installed a PCI USB 2.0
    card. I used the driver from the cd that came with the card. Recently, I
    upgraded to Win XP Service Pack 3. After I wiped the stack clean, I just
    let XP load all of its native drivers and everything seems to be working
    fine. Thank you very much for your assistance.
    Jim

    Jim Ludwig, Jul 15, 2009
  13. Jim Ludwig

    Paul Guest

    Jim Ludwig wrote:
    > Paul,
    > Two things...
    > First, I learned so much just from your reply to my post. You are
    > obviously pretty knowledgable about this stuff. Thank you for the
    > informative reply.
    > Second, your suggestion indeed worked. I deleted the entire usb stack
    > from device manager and let everything reload itself on a reboot and
    > that fixed all my problems. As I mention in my OP that I have installed
    > a PCI USB 2.0 card. I used the driver from the cd that came with the
    > card. Recently, I upgraded to Win XP Service Pack 3. After I wiped the
    > stack clean, I just let XP load all of its native drivers and everything
    > seems to be working fine. Thank you very much for your assistance.
    > Jim

    Not that knowledgeable :) Glad it worked out for you.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 16, 2009