Windows 7 USB transfer grinds to a halt when copying video files

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Anyone else have a problem with copying video files from USB drive to hard drive? Its been happening to me for at least a year and no amount of google fu can find an answer.

It doesnt matter if i'm copying mkv,wmv,avi,mp4 etc etc the usb function just slows to nothing then will load a big chunk then nothing again for a minute or so then again a big chunk.

e.g - just put the pen drive into usb slot, dragged and dropped a 400mb avi started off fine for the 1st 3 seconds or so then nothing for around 2 minutes even my internet wouldnt load then all of a sudden half of its copied then froze again.

I'm not sure if its windows trying to index the video 1st via media player or something. Anyone else the wiser?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No probs here transferring any data from pen drives or external hard disks.

USB 2/3 conflict?

Have you tried transferring via USB port from an external hard drive?

That's all I can think of offhand.

EDIT: Any video playback or editing software running in the background? Check task manager. And if so disable them on startup (msconfig).

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Ive got 3 different external hdd 1gb buffalo, 2 1gb samsung m3s and 4 pen drives 8gb-32gb various brands and it happens to all oc them. Transfer rate starts at 300mbps^ the goes rapidly down to 2-3mbps where it just freezes then carrys on, then freeze n carry on etc.

Annoying isnt the word!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just throwing this into the ring, in case by some flook it helps.... :blush:

Couldn't be a formatting issue could it...? I've been reading that exFAT (will handle 64 GB and above) is considered by some, to be more efficient than NTFS in some circumstances.

In conclusion, FAT32 is a simple system. The simplicity of FAT32 causes it to lose efficiency at large sizes but allows it to run with less resources. The complexity of NTFS increases features but requires more memory and processing power. exFAT is an improved and more complex system than FAT but is designed for flash drives only. - See more at: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2801/exfat_versus_fat32_versus_ntfs/#sthash.AhJ8Qudg.dpufIn

Anyway, just my two pennyworth. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Excellent suggestion TC, it's significant that all (I think) camera SD cards are formatted FAT 32.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
All my drives are NTFS so i might try exFAT and see whats what.

Ask a Question