Windows XP USB\ROOT_HUB20 listed as Unknown in Device Manager

Reaction score
Hi,

hopefully I have selected the correct section to post this question.

Basically my PC(Dell Dimension 2400) has stopped recognising USB devices (1 exception).
I have tried connecting an iPhone, an external hard drive, a flash drive and a digital camera.

I've read a few forums and after trying a few things have noticed that there is an Unknown Device shown in Device Manager. On looking further I found that it is USBROOT_HUB20.

I am assuming this is the cause of the problem.

So far I have tried the following
  • Deleting unknown device and restarting PC, no effect
  • Re-Install chipset drivers
  • BIOS Update
All of these worked in their own right, but not with regards to fixing the unknown device issue.

The one exception I mentioned is a printer which has its own power source, so thought perhaps that could be the cause i.e. a lack of power to the other devices.

Can anyone help and is this possibly the cause of my problem with the above devices ?

The technical information on my PC is:
  • Operating System: Windows XP Personal (SP2)
  • Anti Virus Software : Active Virus Shiled
  • Anti Spyware Software : AdAware
  • How do you connect to the net : Netgear Wireless Router
  • Your Computer Specifications :
    • Motherboard
      • Vendor: Dell Computer Corp
      • Model: 0G1548
    • Physical Memory
      • Total: 510 MB
      • Free: 342 MB
    • CPU: Intel Pentium 4
    • Video Processor: Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Good information helps, thanks. :thumb:

This is normally a driver issue ... is there a yellow exclamation/question mark by the device in Device Mangler, if so, it needs updating, worth checking the Windows Update Site anyway, use the "custom" button to look for all updates.

However, you could try using an external USB "powered" hub ... beg, borrow or buy one. Look for "HighSpeed" sticker or logo. Cheap enough.

It's not unusual for a USB to fail, or cause the devices to fail, by trying to draw too much juice. A std hard drive needs 12v but the std USB port typically only produces 2.5 watts at 5 volts ... we seem to be a bit short. ;)

That was only a loose example, but you get my drift.

Here is a great source of anything USB ...

http://www.usbman.com/

Welcome to the forums. :thumb:

Reaction score
Hi Muckshifter,

thanks for the tip, sorry I should have said that I've tried that already.

The device is listed under Other Devices, is called Unknown Device and its from the details tab within the properties that I see it is called "USBROOT_HUB204&57AC5A1&1".

When I try to reinstall the drivers for this nothing is found. So I googled this and found the specific driver which I have downloaded and installed but this didn't make any difference that I can tell.

With regards to the powered USB Hub I may give that a try but I'm waiting on delivery of a USB PCI Card that I have ordered which I will install to see if that makes any difference. I guess this is a similar thought to your suggestion of a powered hub.

In the meantime any other suggestions will be most welcome.

Thanks again,

GerM.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
With regards to the powered USB Hub I may give that a try but I'm waiting on delivery of a USB PCI Card that I have ordered which I will install to see if that makes any difference. I guess this is a similar thought to your suggestion of a powered hub.
Well, not quite ... an internal card will still need to draw power off the PC ... an 'external' powered hub will have its own power, and as such, will be able to power more peripherals at their correct needs.

USB has been a bane since its conception, if you cannot get/see any help at the link I gave you, I ain't gonna be of much help ... you could try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

:user:

Ask a Question