    Are there any Vista drivers I can download for it? It's currently recognized
    as 'generic USB hub', and uses the usbhub.sys driver.

    Charlie42

    Charlie42, Sep 14, 2007

  2. Charlie42

    PvdG42 Guest

    "Charlie42" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anybody know the two port USB hub from Mobile Computing?
    >
    > I've had two BSOD's which I think may have been caused by this hub, but
    > I'm not entirely sure.
    >
    > Are there any Vista drivers I can download for it? It's currently
    > recognized as 'generic USB hub', and uses the usbhub.sys driver.
    >
    > Charlie42

    If there are any specific drivers (doubtful), they would be available from
    the manufacturer. As a quick Google doesn't pop up a company with that name,
    you'll have to use the full/actual name for your search.

    PvdG42, Sep 14, 2007

  3. Charlie42

    Charlie42 Guest

    "PvdG42" <> wrote in message

    > If there are any specific drivers (doubtful), they would be available from
    > the manufacturer. As a quick Google doesn't pop up a company with that
    > name, you'll have to use the full/actual name for your search.

    I've tried that, without any results. But thanx for replying anyway.

    Charlie42

    Charlie42, Sep 14, 2007
  4. Charlie42

    Mark Bourne Guest

    Charlie42 wrote:
    > Does anybody know the two port USB hub from Mobile Computing?
    >
    > I've had two BSOD's which I think may have been caused by this hub, but
    > I'm not entirely sure.
    >
    > Are there any Vista drivers I can download for it? It's currently
    > recognized as 'generic USB hub', and uses the usbhub.sys driver.
    >
    > Charlie42

    Most hubs will use the "Generic USB Hub" driver, since they rarely have
    extra features which would require a more specific driver. What makes
    you think it is the hub causing the problem? Could it be one of the
    devices connected to the hub? Or possibly a conflict between two of the
    devices, which can only be plugged in at the same time when you are
    using the hub?

    If the BSODs only happen occasionally, after an unpredictable time
    (which is often the case!), it can be difficult to work out what is
    causing the problem. If you're lucky and they do happen fairly regularly
    (eg. almost certain to happen within half an hour), you could try
    plugging in the hub and nothing else, work (or wait) an hour (twice the
    time you'd expect to get a BSOD) and see if you get one, then plug in
    one device, wait an hour, plug in another, etc. When you do get a BSOD,
    try the last device you plugged in on its own, then that device in
    combination with each of the other devices. It might take a while, but
    would help track down which device, or combination of devices, causes
    the problem. If there's a long unpredictable time between BSODs, it may
    not be practical to do this, though.

    Mark Bourne, Sep 14, 2007
  5. Charlie42

    Charlie42 Guest

    "Mark Bourne" <> wrote in message

    <...> What makes
    > you think it is the hub causing the problem? Could it be one of the
    > devices connected to the hub? Or possibly a conflict between two of the
    > devices, which can only be plugged in at the same time when you are using
    > the hub?

    Possibly a conflict between the hub and an optical mouse (A4 Tech).

    This error happens when I restart Vista from sleep. The hub and mouse are
    constantly connected. Some time after restarting, the mouse stops working
    (won't reconnect either), and the computer crashes within 30 minutes. But I
    have had restarts from sleep where this hasn't happened, that's why I'm not
    100% sure what causes the BSOD's.

    <...> If you're lucky and they do happen fairly regularly
    > (eg. almost certain to happen within half an hour), you could try plugging
    > in the hub and nothing else, work (or wait) an hour (twice the time you'd
    > expect to get a BSOD) and see if you get one, then plug in one device,
    > wait an hour, plug in another, etc.

    I will give this a try. Thanks for your advice.

    Charlie42

    Charlie42, Sep 14, 2007
  6. Charlie42

    Charlie42 Guest

    > "Mark Bourne" <> wrote in message

    > <...> If you're lucky and they do happen fairly regularly
    >> (eg. almost certain to happen within half an hour), you could try
    >> plugging in the hub and nothing else, work (or wait) an hour (twice the
    >> time you'd expect to get a BSOD) and see if you get one, then plug in one
    >> device, wait an hour, plug in another, etc.

    > I will give this a try. Thanks for your advice.
    >
    > Charlie42

    I did the testing, and it turned out it wasn't a conflict with the mouse
    after all. It was the hub itself who stalled. Guess I just have to remember
    to plug it out before I put Vista to sleep from now on. Thanks for your
    help, Mark.

    Charlie42

    Charlie42, Sep 15, 2007
  7. Charlie42

    Mark Bourne Guest

    Charlie42 wrote:
    >> "Mark Bourne" <> wrote in message

    >> <...> If you're lucky and they do happen fairly regularly
    >>> (eg. almost certain to happen within half an hour), you could try
    >>> plugging in the hub and nothing else, work (or wait) an hour (twice
    >>> the time you'd expect to get a BSOD) and see if you get one, then
    >>> plug in one device, wait an hour, plug in another, etc.

    >> I will give this a try. Thanks for your advice.
    >>
    >> Charlie42

    > I did the testing, and it turned out it wasn't a conflict with the mouse
    > after all. It was the hub itself who stalled. Guess I just have to
    > remember to plug it out before I put Vista to sleep from now on. Thanks
    > for your help, Mark.
    >
    > Charlie42

    No problem. And thanks posting back to say you found the problem.

    When the hub doesn't come back on properly after waking from sleep, you
    could try unplugging the hub from the computer and plugging it back in
    again. If the hub has a separate power supply, also turn that off and
    back on while the hub is unplugged, to ensure the hub is reset. That
    might avoid the blue screen half an hour later.

    I've noticed that my hub (D-Link DUB-H7 7 port hub) sometimes doesn't
    come back on properly after waking the laptop, and resetting the hub
    sorts it. I've not noticed it causing a BSOD, but maybe it would later
    if I didn't reset it.

    Mark.

    Mark Bourne, Sep 16, 2007
  8. Charlie42

    > When the hub doesn't come back on properly after waking from sleep, you
    > could try unplugging the hub from the computer and plugging it back in
    > again. If the hub has a separate power supply, also turn that off and back
    > on while the hub is unplugged, to ensure the hub is reset. That might
    > avoid the blue screen half an hour later.

    In the case of the Mobile Computing hub, it doesn't help. When it's dead,
    it's dead. Unplugging/plugging it is useless, it won't reconnect.

    Charlie42

    Charlie42, Sep 17, 2007
  9. Charlie42

    Mark Bourne Guest

    Charlie42 wrote:
    > "Mark Bourne" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> When the hub doesn't come back on properly after waking from sleep,
    >> you could try unplugging the hub from the computer and plugging it
    >> back in again. If the hub has a separate power supply, also turn that
    >> off and back on while the hub is unplugged, to ensure the hub is
    >> reset. That might avoid the blue screen half an hour later.

    > In the case of the Mobile Computing hub, it doesn't help. When it's
    > dead, it's dead. Unplugging/plugging it is useless, it won't reconnect.
    >
    > Charlie42

    That's probably not the same problem as I occasionally have then.
    Getting a new hub might help, possibly a different make or model in case
    there's a general problem with your current model working with Vista.
    You might want to borrow one to try before buying one though, in case it
    doesn't solve the problem.

    Mark.

    Mark Bourne, Sep 17, 2007
  10. Charlie42

    Wandering Guest

    There is an option in the Power Profile advanced settings to allow or
    disallow selective power down for usb devices. I think the default is not to
    allow it, but you might check. Hubs are tricky and mostly for low priority
    devices or temporary gadgets like flash drives or head phones. A better
    solution is a PCI card with USB outlets on it. They are quite cheap, and
    avoid the hub problems.

    Good luck

    Wandering, Dec 9, 2007