USB Graphics Card!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for a USB graphics card becuse i have a laptop and i dont want to take it to bits!

does such thing excist?

KGB-911

Reaction score
i think there would be certain bandwidth limitations e.g. USB 1.1 runs at like 40 odd meg per sec and i think AGP is about 2.4 gig a sec....

hmm...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As far as I am aware, they don't exist :) (I won't say impossible, but almost!)

Is it very hard to upgrade a laptop graphics card, so I'd stick with it unless you are willing to part with mega bucks :(

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Laptops should come with an additional conection at the back so you can slot an AGP/PCI graphics card in the back or summut when your at home (would be a hassle on your travels). But its most probably a power issue, i doubt a laptop battery would last long with a 6800Ultra strapped to the back -_- .

Reaction score
also if you want a really impressive graphice card in there the manufacturers weant the money of you to fit it, sorry, and if the USB GPU exsisted it wouldnt be cheap, and the way usb 2.0 runs i highly doubt it would support a gaming card. i seen a very high spec laptop with 3.6ghz cpu, 1 gig ram, x800 pro, it was twice the thickness of a normal laptop for the cooling, and the battery lasted 2 hours, thats not good, and it wasnt cheap either! id go for a new laptop my good friend

Reaction score
yes there exist such cards

check www.datadisplay.de
These crds are sold with combination to LCD panels. This is a patented invention of the manufacturer company, also 5 head (5 usb displays together)applications are availible.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i think there is such a thing, i think there was a review on tomshardware, i'll see if i can find it

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
if it did exist it wouldn't be much good for anything other than the most basic of operations.... you could certainly never play games on it as the throughput of the card would be abysmal......:eek: Don't even go there.....:p

Reaction score
hey

nope, unfortunately thats not quite what he's looking for, that simply provides another screen output as far as im aware it would not add any extra raw graphics proccessing power. New to this forumn by the way just stumbled across this post and decided to give my input. I agree with the previous guy that a usb graphics device would be unfeasable simply because the transfer rates between a laptop and the external graphics card would be far far too slow. However some form of agp slot that could be converted into a plug or a cable maybe??? this begs the issue of cooling but all it would mean is having a noisy little begger of a fan sitting onto of your external graphics card. I can see it happening in the future perhaps but deffinately not on USB.

Reaction score
Well thanks

Alf said:
this thread... is so old.
:D

Well no sh*t sherlock! and I am sure your next trick will be pointing out to the emporer he is wearing no clothes! :p :) xxx

Ask a Question