    automatically).

    Cheers,
    Chris

    Christoph Aumayer, Oct 8, 2007

  2. Re: Driver installation vs. no admin privileges

    The problem may be with the USB device manufacturer. If the device can do a
    server side install then it will work but if it is a client install it will
    prompt for admin credentials. The link below explains more.

    Steve

    Normally in Windows 2000/XP only administrators have sufficient rights to
    install new hardware on a machine, but PnP provides a way around that in
    some cases. This is because there are two ways in which PnP can install new
    hardware: server- or client-side installation.

    Server-side installation is when you connect a PnP device to your computer
    and it detects the device and automatically installs it without any user
    intervention. This kind of installation is performed using SYSTEM
    credentials and usually happens when the driver (.inf file) for your device
    was shipped with your version of Windows or if a similar device was
    previously installed on your machine. The PnP Manager handles everything and
    the whole process happens in SYSTEM context.

    Client-side installation is when you connect a PnP device to your computer
    and it detects the device but can't find an .inf file suitable for the
    device or finds an .inf file but it's not digitally signed. At this point
    installation switches to user mode and the Found New Hardware Wizard prompts
    you for administrator credentials to complete the installation.

    http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/04/20/serverhacks_install.html

    Steven L Umbach, Oct 13, 2007

  3. Christoph Aumayer

    jumpjack

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sorry for digging up this thread, but replies were not useful to original poster (and to me...).

    Any chance to be able to install this .INF file for Android devices without being admin?
    http://www.android.com/drivers/tetherxp.inf

    jumpjack, May 11, 2012