    Does anyone have some insight into this problem?

    Thanks,
    Gary

    Gary Brown, Nov 1, 2003

  2. Gary Brown

    Clanger Guest

    "Gary Brown" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a new US Logic 60GB external drive that crashes
    > two computers running ME. A third, running XP, works
    > fine. The two running ME are a laptop and a home built
    > AMD K6-2 500. All they have in common is ME. All
    > of these computers have older USB ports, ie, not USB 2.
    >
    > Does anyone have some insight into this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gary

    While I know this is for a Fortress drive it might be a starting point.

    How can I verify that my USB port has enough power* to operate the Fortress
    drive?

    Using Windows 98/Me OS:

    Right-click the My Computer icon. Select Properties. Select the Device
    Manager tab. In the Device Manager, click the + sign next to Universal
    Serial Bus Controllers. Right-click the USB Root Hub and select Properties.
    Select the Power tab and then select the Power Properties button. This will
    tell you how much power is available and how much power is being given to
    each device. The port must have a minimum of 500 milliamps of power
    available to operate the Fortress drive.

    Drives are normally backward compatible. ie USB 2 devices will work fine on
    a USB 1.1 port

    Also some external drives do not like the Windows drivers and require their
    own. Perhaps a look at the Logic drivers might be your next move

    clanger

    Clanger, Nov 1, 2003

  3. Gary Brown

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:38:30 -0500, "Gary Brown"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a new US Logic 60GB external drive that crashes
    >two computers running ME. A third, running XP, works
    >fine. The two running ME are a laptop and a home built
    >AMD K6-2 500. All they have in common is ME. All
    >of these computers have older USB ports, ie, not USB 2.
    >
    >Does anyone have some insight into this problem?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Gary

    You might try updating the motherboard chipset drivers, and
    enabling legacy USB in the BIOS... for some reason the legacy USB
    setting *can* allow some USB devices to work properly in Windows,
    though I've found that setting-change most useful for HP printers,
    never tried it for an external drive.

    Dave

    kony, Nov 1, 2003
  4. Gary Brown

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:38:30 -0500, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Gary Brown"
    <> wrote :

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a new US Logic 60GB external drive that crashes
    >two computers running ME. A third, running XP, works
    >fine. The two running ME are a laptop and a home built
    >AMD K6-2 500. All they have in common is ME. All
    >of these computers have older USB ports, ie, not USB 2.
    >
    >Does anyone have some insight into this problem?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Gary

    Try here,
    http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter General.htm