Upload/Update files on a server

Discussion in 'Microsoft Dot NET Framework' started by Patriot, Apr 22, 2010.

  1. Patriot

    Patriot Guest

    (sorry for the cross post as my post in WindowForm gets no reply yet).

    Hello,

    I'm not sure if this is the right group to ask. Please let me know
    where this question should go to.

    I have a window program in which I would like my users to be able to
    upload files to a centralized folder risde on a server. One way to do
    this is to make that centralized folder a shared folder and grant
    users rights to access their files on the server. However, my network
    administrator would prefer my program to logon to the server with a
    separate credential (local account to the server) to update the files
    as needed, instead of letting the domain users to access the files on
    the server directly because users potentially access and update files
    in the folders without going through my program.

    Could this be done? Has anyone done this before? Is there a better
    solution to this?

    Thank you.

    Tim

    Patriot, Apr 22, 2010

  2. Patriot

    Wilson, Phil Guest

    This is pretty much what BITS does - see if this is useful:

    http://www.simple-talk.com/dotnet/.net-tools/using-bits-to-upload-files-with-.net/

    --
    Phil Wilson

    Wilson, Phil, Apr 22, 2010