Upgrdade Info

Discussion in 'Asus Motherboards' started by Skavenger, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Skavenger

    Skavenger Guest

    Hello;

    I am just about to do a bit of upgrading and spring cleaning on my ASUS
    A7N8X Deluxe

    Upgrade consists of installing:

    2 x 512MB Kingston DDR Ram CL3.0
    Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM IDE HD
    LG Double Layer DVD RW

    I currently have:

    1 x 80GB Maxtor 6Y080L0 ( 2 x Partitions C: & D:)
    1 x 40GB Segate 340015A
    AOPEN CD RW
    BTC DVD RW
    2 x 256MB DDR Ram CL3.0
    GeForce TI4200 8xAGP
    Windows XP Pro

    Couple of Questions:

    1. Due to a couple of problems I need to carry out a repair install of
    the OS to save the hassle of reinstalling everything I might leave the Boot
    Drive as the Maxtor 80GB get rid of the Seagate and install the 200GB Maxtor
    as additional storage, I will not see much speed benifit in using the 200GB
    as a boot drive?

    2. Both Hard Drives are connected using an 80 Conductor ATA 133 cable
    should I also get one for the CD & DVD? as the existing ones are using a 40
    conductor?

    3. I need to update the BIOS any problems with the latest verion?

    4. Where can I find information on the optimum BIOS settings?

    Skavenger, Jan 4, 2006

  2. Skavenger

    Paul Guest

    In article <dpgv9c$kic$-infra.bt.com>,
    "Skavenger" <> wrote:

    > Hello;
    >
    > I am just about to do a bit of upgrading and spring cleaning on my ASUS
    > A7N8X Deluxe
    >
    > Upgrade consists of installing:
    >
    > 2 x 512MB Kingston DDR Ram CL3.0
    > Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM IDE HD
    > LG Double Layer DVD RW
    >
    > I currently have:
    >
    > 1 x 80GB Maxtor 6Y080L0 ( 2 x Partitions C: & D:)
    > 1 x 40GB Segate 340015A
    > AOPEN CD RW
    > BTC DVD RW
    > 2 x 256MB DDR Ram CL3.0
    > GeForce TI4200 8xAGP
    > Windows XP Pro
    >
    > Couple of Questions:
    >
    > 1. Due to a couple of problems I need to carry out a repair install of
    > the OS to save the hassle of reinstalling everything I might leave the Boot
    > Drive as the Maxtor 80GB get rid of the Seagate and install the 200GB Maxtor
    > as additional storage, I will not see much speed benifit in using the 200GB
    > as a boot drive?
    >
    > 2. Both Hard Drives are connected using an 80 Conductor ATA 133 cable
    > should I also get one for the CD & DVD? as the existing ones are using a 40
    > conductor?
    >
    > 3. I need to update the BIOS any problems with the latest verion?
    >
    > 4. Where can I find information on the optimum BIOS settings?

    1. To use the 200GB drive, you should be using WinXP SP1 minimum.
    You can construct a Windows install CD with SP1 slipstreamed on
    it. (There is a program you can download off the net, Autostreamer
    or the like, that can do that for you. I tried making a
    slipstreamed disk, and it worked OK. Depending on when you
    bought your WinXP product, SP1 may already be included).
    Otherwise there is a registry hack. In any case, you have to
    be careful where you plug that 200GB drive - plugging it into
    a machine that just has original WinXP on it, could corrupt it.
    I mention that in case you plan on moving the 200GB disk from
    machine to machine.

    http://www.48bitlba.com/faq.htm (don't buy their BIOS!)

    I don't know how well this would work, but you could copy the
    80GB to the 200GB drive, and then run the Repair Install. I
    have an old copy of Partition Magic I use for such adventures,
    but I don't know how messed up that product has become since
    Symantec bought PowerQuest. Perhaps the disk manufacturer
    has a utility to do a simple copy for you. Before installing
    the 200GB disk, make sure you have installed at least SP1
    first on the 80GB boot disk. Then, when you copy the 80GB
    to the 200GB, your OS will be prepared to run the 200GB
    without corrupting it.

    Disk drives have faster sustained transfer rate at the beginning
    of the drive, versus near the end. Using the 200GB drive, means
    more of the files will be near the "60MB/sec" end of the disk,
    instead of at the "40MB/sec" end of the disk. But eventually the
    200GB disk will fill up too...

    Make sure you have a backup strategy. The bigger the disk,
    the bigger the crash.

    The biggest visible difference with disk drives, would come with
    a change in RPMs. A 10K RPM disk has a lower seek time than a
    7200 RPM disk, and if you were searching for a file, the 10K
    disk would be faster. The only time STR becomes an issue, is if
    you are copying really big files from disk to disk. I don't
    do that very much, so STR is not that big a factor for me.
    If you do disk-to-disk backups, a good STR would reduce the
    backup time, for a sector by sector copy.

    2. You can use an 80 conductor cable for your CD and DVD. With
    recent hardware, in fact, two devices on the same cable can
    run at their own transfer rate, without impacting one another.
    The 80 conductor cable will make more performance available,
    if you had a hard drive and a optical device on the same cable.
    The OS is actually able to detect the presence of the 80
    conductor cable, and knows when the faster IDE transfer rates
    can be used.

    3. No idea. There were a couple releases of A7N8X family BIOS
    that were bad, but they were pulled from the download page.
    I use a "Trats BIOS", so cannot help you there.

    4. http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/search.php is where I would
    go for information on Nforce2 systems. forums.pcper.com is
    another place. But in my experience, spending 30 minutes
    playing with the settings yourself, is going to give you
    a pretty optimal setup anyway. On my A7N8X-E, I run the
    memory "sync" (set to 100%), tweak the memory timing to
    its specced value (in case the SPD on the DIMMs holds more
    conservative values than the chips are rated for). Try
    setting things to "standard" or "manual", to make more
    settings appear. It isn't hard to get a good setup.

    The only trouble I ever had with my machine, was RAM. Use
    both memtest86+ to verify the whole memory is still good.
    Use Prime95 while in Windows, to verify there is real system
    stability.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 4, 2006

  3. Skavenger

    Fishface Guest

    Skavenger wrote:
    > 1. Due to a couple of problems I need to carry out a repair install of
    > the OS to save the hassle of reinstalling everything I might leave the Boot
    > Drive as the Maxtor 80GB get rid of the Seagate and install the 200GB
    > Maxtor as additional storage, I will not see much speed benifit in using
    > the 200GB as a boot drive?

    Problems?! Hate those...

    I would leave the installation on the 80GB drive.

    Here's a MS KB article on moving an installation to new hardware, partially
    in Netherlandic but with ample English, because that's all I could find.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;nl;314070

    I'm not sure how/if you might copy the installation, but I used Ghost
    and ran into a problem. This archived message details the problem I
    encountered (Win2K) when I tried to move my installation to a larger drive:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.windows2000/msg/c1921f1e6580a45c
    I believe you will find that the same is true under XP.

    Fishface, Jan 5, 2006
  4. "Skavenger" <> wrote in message
    > Hello;
    >
    > I am just about to do a bit of upgrading and spring cleaning on my ASUS
    > A7N8X Deluxe
    >
    > Upgrade consists of installing:
    >
    > 2 x 512MB Kingston DDR Ram CL3.0
    > Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM IDE HD
    > LG Double Layer DVD RW
    >
    > I currently have:
    >
    > 1 x 80GB Maxtor 6Y080L0 ( 2 x Partitions C: & D:)
    > 1 x 40GB Segate 340015A
    > AOPEN CD RW
    > BTC DVD RW
    > 2 x 256MB DDR Ram CL3.0
    > GeForce TI4200 8xAGP
    > Windows XP Pro
    >
    > Couple of Questions:
    >
    > 1. Due to a couple of problems I need to carry out a repair install of
    > the OS to save the hassle of reinstalling everything I might leave the
    > Boot Drive as the Maxtor 80GB get rid of the Seagate and install the 200GB
    > Maxtor as additional storage, I will not see much speed benifit in using
    > the 200GB as a boot drive?
    >
    > 2. Both Hard Drives are connected using an 80 Conductor ATA 133 cable
    > should I also get one for the CD & DVD? as the existing ones are using a
    > 40 conductor?
    >
    > 3. I need to update the BIOS any problems with the latest verion?
    >
    > 4. Where can I find information on the optimum BIOS settings?

    This might be of some help to you on your question 4. Yesterday Tom's
    Hardware posted this story "BIOS from A to Z" at the following link:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/04/bios_from_a_to_z/

    Homer J. Simpson, Jan 5, 2006
  5. Skavenger,
    Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land
    (Washington, DC)!
    Do you already have the hard drive? If you are looking for a faster
    boot, may I suggest a RAID 0 array on the SATA ports. If money is no
    object, get a pair of WD 74GB 10,000 RPM Raptors. ~US$170 each. That
    kind of system rockets into orbit. I am so cheap that the last time I
    spent money, the George on it was George III, so I make do with a
    cheaper single SATA drive. Otherwise a pair of _IDENTICAL_ drives is
    needed on the SATA port. In a RAID 0 set up you use two drives to speed
    up performance at the risk of a less reliable system. Make backups. You
    do get a drive array that is the sum of both drives. I.E. with the 74 GB
    Raptors you wind up with an 148 GB array.

    I do not know enough about your DVD-RW and CD-RW drives to know what
    speed their interfaces are. If they are ATA-33 or less, the 40 wire
    cable will do just fine. However, if they are ATA-66 or more, you need
    the 80 wire cable. The cables are cheap. Why not try one and see?

    Just why do you need to upgrade the BIOS? What version do you have?
    Unless you have a problem that upgrading the BIOS is supposed to solve,
    if it is not broken, do not fix it.
    Peace,
    Paul

    Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr., Jan 8, 2006