    I only have the full edition of NT4.

    Cheers,
    Mike

    Mike T, Jan 27, 2007

  2. If you install and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor,
    it will provide information on which editions of Windows
    Vista are appropriate and/or recommended for your computer.

    Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Mike T" wrote:

    Hi,

    My question is simply can i use the *upgrade* edition of Vista Home
    Premium when my Windows 2000 professional license is also an upgrade.

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Jan 27, 2007

  3. how can you use Windows Vista Upgrade advisor if it doesn't support Windows
    xp professional x64 to get it recommended for your computer.

    raymond harrel, Jan 27, 2007
  4. Mike T

    Mike T Guest

    Thanks Carey for your response. Unfortunately Vista Upgrade Advisor
    gives me a message upon installation that it only runs on XP-SP2 and
    Vista itself!

    I just can't seem to find a clear definitive answer on this.

    Many thanks,
    Mike

    Mike T, Jan 27, 2007
  5. As long as you have Win2K installed, it does not matter if it is from an
    upgrade edition. If you have to reinstall Vista you also have to reinstall
    Win2k and supply it with the Win2k disk, but as long as Win2k is installed,
    it does not matter if it came from and upgrade edition.

    To bad you cannot run the Vista Upgrade Advisor though, as it would
    give you an idea as to which of your programs and your software
    might give you problems.

    dom

    dirty old man, Jan 27, 2007
  6. Mike T

    Rock Guest

    "Mike T" wrote

    > Hi,
    >
    > My question is simply can i use the *upgrade* edition of Vista Home
    > Premium when my Windows 2000 professional license is also an upgrade.
    > I only have the full edition of NT4.

    It doesn't matter if the underlying OS is itself an upgrade. To use an
    upgrade edition of Vista the qualifying OS, and Windows 2000 is such, must
    be installed. The installation is started from the desktop. With Windows
    2000 to VHP, the only option will be a custom install.

    If you have to reinstall, you'll have to go back to NT, then do the upgrade
    to windows 2000 then the upgrade to Vista. To avoid this get a full
    version of Vista, or create an image of the installation right after Vista
    is installed and store that safe somewhere.

    --
    Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

    Rock, Jan 27, 2007
  7. Mike T

    Sven Guest

    > My question is simply can i use the *upgrade* edition of Vista Home
    > Premium when my Windows 2000 professional license is also an upgrade.
    > I only have the full edition of NT4.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mike

    Recording to Microsoft Denmark you can just install direct on a clean HD
    with the Vista Update DVD. Some time along the installation your PC will aks
    for a _FULL LICENSE_ cd/dvd, and when this check is over, it will continue
    the Vista install. It is the same method used by WindowsXP Upgrade versions.
    Don't install any earlier OS first, as it will only make your final
    installation bigger. Correct me, if Microsoft Denmark and I are wrong here,
    and I will get back to them, so they can look into it again.

    Cheers
    Sven

    Sven, Jan 28, 2007
  8. I'm sorry, but your information is incorrect. Vista Setup will not ask for
    a cd to verify that you own an earlier version of Windows. Vista requires
    that the legacy OS be installed on the computer. The procedure you refer to
    ended with XP.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 28, 2007
  9. Mike T

    Mike T Guest

    On 28 Jan, 03:04, "Sven" <> wrote:
    > Recording to Microsoft Denmark you can just install direct on a clean HD
    > with the Vista Update DVD. Some time along the installation your PC will aks
    > for a _FULL LICENSE_ cd/dvd, and when this check is over, it will continue
    > the Vista install.
    > [snipped]

    This is similar to windows 2000 in that I can install directly onto a
    clean hard disk. During the installation I need to insert my NT4 CD.

    I assumed the I would be able to install Vista Upgrade onto a clean
    hard disk and at some point insert either my Window 2000 upgrade or
    NT4 full edition CD. I was hoping that someone has already followed
    this upgrade route.

    Anyway thanks to all that have responded

    Cheers,
    Mike

    Mike T, Jan 28, 2007
  10. Mike T

    Mike T Guest

    On 28 Jan, 05:32, "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote:
    > I'm sorry, but your information is incorrect. Vista Setup will not ask for
    > a cd to verify that you own an earlier version of Windows. Vista requires
    > that the legacy OS be installed on the computer. The procedure you refer to
    > ended with XP.

    Aha. A couple other people alluded to this within the thread. I now
    understand :)

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Mike T, Jan 28, 2007
  11. If you have a Win2k upgrade edition cd and an NT4 cd for use when installing
    Win2k then you should consider breaking this dependency chain by buying a
    Vista full edition.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 28, 2007
  12. Mike T

    Sven Guest

    Sven, Jan 28, 2007
  13. Sven, I have offered you several corrections. Please note them. You are
    perpetuating misinformation you received through no fault of your own. You
    are not the only person to get this misinformation from an MS office.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 28, 2007
  14. Mike T

    Roy Coorne Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    > Sven, I have offered you several corrections. Please note them.
    > You are perpetuating misinformation you received through no fault of
    > your own. You are not the only person to get this misinformation
    > from an MS office.

    The same happened in Germany, according to postings in m.p.de.w.v.*

    Roy

    Roy Coorne, Jan 29, 2007
  15. A poster reported that here. He said that the local office called him back
    and corrected themselves.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 29, 2007
  16. Mike T

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    How is one supposed to determine whether the components in his or her system
    are supported by Vista (say, Home Premium) if he or she cannot run the Vista
    Upgrade Advisor on a Windows 2000 system?

    Are we pretty much at a loss here?

    Thanks,
    Zan

    Guest, Mar 21, 2007
  17. Mike T

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi,

    Why can't you run the advisor?

    You can check the HCL list here, but it will take quite a lot of time:
    https://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Default.aspx

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick Rogers, Mar 22, 2007
  18. Mike T

    Guest Guest

    Hi Rick,

    The Vista Upgrade Advisor was only desigend for use with Windows XP and
    Windows Vista itself. I don't understand why Microsoft couldn't add in
    support for Windows 2000 as well, especially since they allow Windows 2000
    and Windows XP to be upgraded. I'm baffled. If you visit the Microsoft page
    that contains the Upgrade Advisor, you'll see that it doesn't work with
    Windows 2000.

    Thanks,
    Zan

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007
  19. Mike T

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi Zan,

    My apologies, you are correct. I don't have an answer as to why the tool
    doesn't run under Win2000. Be careful, as hardware from 2000 will be
    marginal at best under XP, it may be in your best interest to not only check
    the HCL but with the hardware vendors as well.

    Rick Rogers, Mar 22, 2007
  20. Mike T

    Guest Guest

    Thank you, Rick!

    I agree, and have already sent an inquiry to Gigabyte about the motherboard
    being used.

    -Zan

    Guest, Mar 23, 2007