Update: boot problem/load problem--imporved but not solved

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000' started by Ken K, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. Ken K

    Ken K Guest

    (problem in thread posted earlier today but dated 8/4/04 by mistake)

    I developed a problem with being unable to initiate loading of the Win2K
    operating system earlier today. I was helped by Pegasus, who asked me
    to test whether I could load the OS with a floppy that contained my
    boot.ini (from my hdd), ntldr, and ntdetect.com (both copied from my
    Win2000 disk) . It worked. I tried copying those files back to my hard
    drive c:\ drive but I still require the floppy to be present in order
    for the loading to take place. If it is not there, I hang right after
    the PCI assignements are displayed during boot.

    Does anyone have any ideas where I can go from here to be able to load
    from the hard drive without having to have the floppy in place? Are
    there any BIOS settings that may have been tweaked that I should check?
    (ASUS P4PE mb)

    Thanks
    Ken K

    Ken K, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Ken K

    Dave Patrick Guest

    You can boot the recovery console and from a command prompt issue the
    command;
    fixboot
    to replace the bootsector. To start the Recovery Console, start the computer
    from the Windows 2000 Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If
    you do not have Setup floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the
    Windows 2000 Setup CD, use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the
    Setup floppy disks. Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R
    to repair a Windows 2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery
    Console. The Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator
    password. If you do not have the correct password, Recovery Console does
    not allow access to the computer. If an incorrect password is entered three
    times, the Recovery Console quits and restarts the computer. Once the
    password has been validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console,
    but limited access to the hard disk. You can only access the following
    folders on your computer: %systemroot% and %windir%

    Cross-post when necessary, but never multi-post. Cross-posting is when you
    include two or more groups in the "Newsgroups:" section. In this scenario
    the message and all responses are seen in all groups that the message was
    cross-posted to. In other words any replies will automatically propagate to
    the other newsgroup posts.

    Multi-posting is when you post the same message to two or more groups
    individually. In this scenario the message is seen in the groups it is
    posted to, but the responses are only seen attached to the message (unless
    you cross-post the reply) in which the response was made. So those that
    frequent these groups then need to deal with or re-read the posts. It may
    seem like a small thing to keep track of. But some of us actively traverse
    50 or more groups. The poster also then must search out all of the posts to
    see if there was a response.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Ken K

    Ken K Guest

    1, apologies for the multiple posts. I am not sure which forum received
    more attention. I am also not sure how I can cross-post with Netscape
    7.1---any ideas how to do it?

    2, I had tried using fixboot yesterday but to no avail. I repeated
    again today, but no luck. I can still boot only with the floppy in
    place. Is there a BIOS setting that might have been tweaked? On POST,
    I can see that the hdd is identified correctly as the primary. Somehow
    I am wondering if the c: drive is just not being seen by the computer
    until directed there by the floppy files...

    3. I had planned on an upgrade to WinXP early next week or so. Any
    chance that might fix the problem or should I wait until there is a fix
    for this?

    4. I would not mind doing a fresh install of Win2K if I could have all
    of my setting preserved. If someone can tell me how to do that, I am
    all ears.

    Thanks
    Ken K

    Ken K, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Ken K

    Dave Patrick Guest

    I don't know the details here. Might it be the primary active partition was
    removed?

    Dave Patrick, Jun 7, 2004
  5. Ken K

    Ken K Guest

    Dave, tell me how I check to see if the primary active partition was
    removed. The partitions are all the same, at least I think they are, as
    they were before: c:, d: and e: drive. I recall from fdisk'ing DOS
    drives in the past that one can set a partition as being active, but I
    don't know how to check that in Win2000.

    Let me know how I can check that and I will do so.

    Thanks
    Ken

    Ken K, Jun 7, 2004
  6. Ken K

    Ken K Guest

    OK, I right-clicked on the c: drive, which is listed as system, and the
    option to set this to active is grayed out, which, I presume, means that
    it is the active drive, or is that not correct?

    Thanks

    Ken K, Jun 7, 2004
  7. Ken K

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Boot with a win98 startup disk, run fdisk to check or set the correct
    partition as active.

    Dave Patrick, Jun 7, 2004
  8. Ken K

    Ken K Guest

    OK, I created a Win98 startup disk on my daugther's computer and found
    that the C: drive is set as active. I set it again, closed out, tried
    to reboot, and no luck. I can only reboot with the floppy in place.

    Shall I consider a reinstall inplace? I am beginning to understand that
    there may be irreparable damage to the boot sector. Would a reinstall
    solve that problem?

    Thanks
    KK

    Ken K, Jun 7, 2004
  9. Ken K

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Try the recovery console again and from a command prompt issue the command;
    fixboot C:
    and possibly
    fixmbr

    Be sure to read these ones first.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;266745
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=166454

    Dave Patrick, Jun 8, 2004
  10. Ken K

    Ken K Guest

    Ken K, Jun 8, 2004
  11. Ken K

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Time for a clean install.

    Dave Patrick, Jun 8, 2004
  12. Ken K

    Ken K Guest

    Dave Patrick wrote:

    >Time for a clean install.

    Yes, I am resigning myself to that... The question is how to not have
    to install about 50 programs. Can you suggest how to do that? I have
    all of my data on e: drive, my programs on d: drive, and my OS on c:
    drive. I have my ERD and I have my registry backup up.

    If I do a clean install of the OS on c: drive after reformatting, do I
    just reboot and then use the ERD? Will that preserve the majority of my
    settings and installations? or is there another method?

    Thanks
    Ken K

    Ken K, Jun 9, 2004
  13. Ken K

    Dave Patrick Guest

    I guess I don't know any of the details of why the pc doesn't start.
    Possibly an older pc with a controller bios that doesn't support INT13
    Extensions. Is the correct boot device set in controller bios?

    Setup Does Not Check for INT-13 Extensions Before Creating System Partition
    (Q240672)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q240672

    Dave Patrick, Jun 9, 2004
  14. I protect myself against this sort of disaster by creating
    an image of the system partition, using an imaging product
    from companies such as Acronis or PowerQuest. Once
    every six months I renew the image, and I always keep
    the two most recent versions.

    Restoring an image takes five minutes of my time, and
    around 30 minutes of elapsed time.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Jun 9, 2004
  15. Ken K

    Ken K Guest

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    >I protect myself against this sort of disaster by creating
    >an image of the system partition, using an imaging product
    >from companies such as Acronis or PowerQuest. Once
    >every six months I renew the image, and I always keep
    >the two most recent versions.
    >
    >Restoring an image takes five minutes of my time, and
    >around 30 minutes of elapsed time.
    >

    >"Ken K" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Dave Patrick wrote:
    >>

    >>>Time for a clean install.
    >>>

    >>Yes, I am resigning myself to that... The question is how to not have
    >>to install about 50 programs. Can you suggest how to do that? I have
    >>all of my data on e: drive, my programs on d: drive, and my OS on c:
    >>drive. I have my ERD and I have my registry backup up.
    >>
    >>If I do a clean install of the OS on c: drive after reformatting, do I
    >>just reboot and then use the ERD? Will that preserve the majority of my
    >>settings and installations? or is there another method?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Ken K

    Hello again, Pegasus.

    I had just purchased Acronis and made images of two identical laptops
    (the hdd of one had died and I was able to place the image of the good
    hdd on the new drive---very impressive program.) I decided to order
    2-250GB SATA hdds (large enough for backups of my families computers on
    rotation and large enough to hold all of the images) and a 120GB hdd to
    mirror the 120GB hdd on my desktop (RAID1 on my ASUS P4PE md. The 120GB
    hdd arrived first and I mirrored it "successfully". Unfortunately,
    after the mirroring process, neither hdd will boot except with a
    floppy. That is the issue that I have been trying to solve. So the
    stimulus for this whole mess was the rush to do the backup of the hdd!
    (I have a DDS-3 tape drive that has my data backed up but not the
    system, I don't think. I was in the decision process of purchasing more
    tapes when it occurred to me that hard drives would be much more
    reasonable and I even have the removable media drawers here waiting for
    my 250GB hdds...

    I suppose the thing to do is to wait for a time when I have a couple of
    days and then reinstall the system, then use the backup in the ERD that
    I have, which should restore the registry pretty much. The only
    problem, actually, has been the boot sector, and I can live temporarily
    with the floppy disk that you had suggested a few days a ago.

    Dave-- WRT to the computer, the mb is relatively recent vintage ASUS
    P4PE with 1GB RAM and with onboard SATA (Promise RAID controller).

    Ken K, Jun 9, 2004
  16. Ken K

    Ken K Guest

    Dave Patrick wrote:

    >I guess I don't know any of the details of why the pc doesn't start.
    >Possibly an older pc with a controller bios that doesn't support INT13
    >Extensions. Is the correct boot device set in controller bios?
    >
    >Setup Does Not Check for INT-13 Extensions Before Creating System Partition
    >(Q240672)
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q240672

    Well, this is a new wrinkle. First, the system is an ASUS P4PE mb with
    a Promise SATA controller, about 1 1/2 years old. I have been running
    Win2000 since beta and have SP4 installed. My boot sequence is
    floppy-->hdd. My active partition is C: drive, which it has always
    been, and C: drive is 19.53GB with 12.13 free (7.4 in use). The hdd is
    120GB Western Digital IDE drive. All was hunky dory until (see the
    response to Pegasus in this same thread....)

    I have to assume that there is no problem with the larger size of the
    active partition in Win2000, as it has been working for such a long
    period. Is there anything in a mb's BIOS that is a specific instruction
    about INT-13?

    Thanks
    Ken

    Ken K, Jun 9, 2004
  17. Ken K

    Dave Patrick Guest

    System and or controller bios vary, you'll just have to look for it. If the
    controller is not an integrated one then you'll also need to enter
    controller bios to check this and that the correct boot device is selected.

    Dave Patrick, Jun 9, 2004