Unwanted Ads running on my computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Jo Ann, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. Jo Ann

    Jo Ann Guest

    Just wanted to let you know that I went on a website
    yesterday afternoon that must have been infected with all
    kinds of files that load programs onto your machine.
    I've never run into this before. I had about 8 new icons
    loaded on my desktop and new program files added to that
    directory. I was getting all kinds of pop-ups totally
    outside of IE and MSN.

    Luckily friends stopped by to go out with us to dinner
    and he had the same problem this week, only not so
    badly!! He had a computer friend help him out and used
    Ad-Aware.com free software to find the (360!!) ads and
    delete them. I had to reboot and run again about 4 times
    to get the ads under 10. I'm running it once a day now
    and shutting off my computer at night - Yeah, I had
    Gozilla, zula, along with E-Bay, screen savers and other
    junk that I hadn't loaded myself. I ran spy-bot too to
    catch the cookies. I also have McAfee virus protection
    running.

    Odd thing is that when I do Cntl-Alt-Del there are still
    all kinds of thing running on my computer and I don't
    know how to get them out. And I don't know what is
    needed and what isn't. I may have deleted some stuff
    that I shouldn't have too - will find out as we go with
    this!

    Whew! It was a mess, but my computer is ok now! I think.

    Ok - question is why can't I delete some files? I went
    into Program Files and tried to delete some files that
    were loaded that day that I didn't load and I got an
    access denied message. Seems that the program is in use,
    but I don't know where or how to find it!! I did delete
    the associated .dll files so hopefully it can't do
    anything. But does anyone have any idea of what to do
    with this?

    Jo Ann, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Jo Ann

    Guest Guest

    To delete certain files you will need to ensure that they will not run on
    startup, and there are a couple ways to do this. One, click Start, Run, and
    then type msconfig. Click on the startup tab and either uncheck the programs
    that you do not want to run automatically or click on disable all. Then,
    restart your computer, a dialog box related to msconfig will come up, just
    click ok or yes (I can't remember exactly what it says). Then proceed to
    delete away.

    Another way to prevent items from running on start-up is throught the
    registry editor. Click start, run, and type regedit. Navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, Run (also
    Run Once) and delete any entries there (or just delete the entries for the
    files that you are trying to delete). Also navigate to the same folders
    under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE directory and delete the undesireable entries,
    look under any other folders that start with the word Run, there can be quite
    a few.

    Hope this helps. Always be careful not to mess around too much in the
    registry editor. You can export the entire registry as a backup by clicking
    File and then Export and clicking on the All radio button.

    Guest, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Jo Ann

    Guest Guest

    As an ammendment to my previous reply make sure to restart the computer after
    editing the registry and before trying to delete the offending programs.

    Guest, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Jo Ann

    Roberts Guest

    By any chance were you browsing the internet as an XP Administrator? If you
    create another user that is a "Limited Account" new programs can't be
    installed.

    Also do you have a firewall of some kind? That'll help keep worms from
    installing new software on your system that runs at startup.

    roberts

    Roberts, Aug 8, 2004