    Thanks for any help

    Olivier Lechenne

    Logitech Inc.

    Olivier Lechenne, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Hello Olivier,

    Thanks for posting in the group.

    When getting the errors:

    error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie
    error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4

    in Visual Studio .NET, it is likely that another library is being pulled
    into the project. Add the /verbose:lib switch to the Linker command line
    and do a rebuild all. This will output all of the libraries that are being
    searched. If you see any libs that live in folders that are not part of
    the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET install folder and you are not sure why
    they are there, then that is probably the cause of this problem.

    Go to Tools | Options | Projects | VC++ Directories and in the Include
    Files and Library Files directories check for additional paths that should
    not be there.

    Also, the "unresolved external symbol ____security_cookie" problem has also
    been seen when building DLLs in Visual Studio .NET with the /GS ("buffer
    security check") flag. This problem is lightly discussed in the MSDN:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html
    /vclrfGSBufferSecurity.asp

    The workarounds given are:

    * Not use arrays in any functions that call (or end up calling) CRT_INIT,
    for example, use _alloca instead.
    * Let the CRT initialize normally. Don't specify your own entry point, use
    DllMain instead (and don't call CRT_INIT).

    Does that answer your question?

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    !From: "Olivier Lechenne" <>
    !Subject: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie
    !Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:56:04 -0700
    !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
    !
    !I am converting some projects from VS 6.0 to VS .NET 2003 and I get a
    linker
    !error
    !error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie or
    !
    !error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie
    !
    !Does anybody knows where does this symbol comes from? Is it because I am
    !using a wrong library or have some bad compiler/linker options?
    !
    !
    !
    !Thanks for any help
    !
    !
    !
    !Olivier Lechenne
    !
    !Logitech Inc.
    !
    !
    !

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Sep 17, 2003

  3. Thanks for your help.
    The /GS flag was the culprit since I am building DLLs and SYS files.

    Olivier Lechenne
    Logitech Inc.
    "Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Olivier,
    >
    > Thanks for posting in the group.
    >
    > When getting the errors:
    >
    > error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie
    > error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4
    >
    > in Visual Studio .NET, it is likely that another library is being pulled
    > into the project. Add the /verbose:lib switch to the Linker command line
    > and do a rebuild all. This will output all of the libraries that are

    being
    > searched. If you see any libs that live in folders that are not part of
    > the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET install folder and you are not sure why
    > they are there, then that is probably the cause of this problem.
    >
    > Go to Tools | Options | Projects | VC++ Directories and in the Include
    > Files and Library Files directories check for additional paths that should
    > not be there.
    >
    > Also, the "unresolved external symbol ____security_cookie" problem has

    also
    > been seen when building DLLs in Visual Studio .NET with the /GS ("buffer
    > security check") flag. This problem is lightly discussed in the MSDN:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html
    > /vclrfGSBufferSecurity.asp
    >
    > The workarounds given are:
    >
    > * Not use arrays in any functions that call (or end up calling) CRT_INIT,
    > for example, use _alloca instead.
    > * Let the CRT initialize normally. Don't specify your own entry point,

    use
    > DllMain instead (and don't call CRT_INIT).
    >
    > Does that answer your question?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Yanhong Huang
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    rights.

    > --------------------
    > !From: "Olivier Lechenne" <>
    > !Subject: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie
    > !Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:56:04 -0700
    > !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc

    cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.

    Olivier Lechenne, Sep 17, 2003
  4. Hi Olivier,

    I am glad to hear that the problem is resolved.

    Thanks for participating the community.

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    !From: "Olivier Lechenne" <>
    !Subject: Re: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie
    !Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:22:39 -0700
    !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
    !
    !Thanks for your help.
    !The /GS flag was the culprit since I am building DLLs and SYS files.
    !
    !Olivier Lechenne
    !Logitech Inc.
    !"Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    !news:...
    !> Hello Olivier,
    !>
[...]
    !> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
    !> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    !rights.
    !>
    !> --------------------
    !> !From: "Olivier Lechenne" <>
    !> !Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:56:04 -0700
    !> !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Sep 18, 2003
  5. How do I figure out how to link to the CRT? I thought that by having the /MT
    option defined it would link with the corresponding CRT library
    automatically.

    Any help is welcome.

    Olivier
    "Brandon Bray [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Olivier Lechenne wrote:
    > > The /GS flag was the culprit since I am building DLLs and SYS files.

    > Hi Olivier,
    > The problem was that the C run-time was not being linked into the DLLs,
    > and so the security routines were not found by the linker. Using /GS is
    > certainly worthwhile, so if you can figure out how to link in the right

    part

    Olivier Lechenne, Sep 26, 2003
  6. Olivier Lechenne wrote:
    > How do I figure out how to link to the CRT? I thought that by having the
    > /MT option defined it would link with the corresponding CRT library
    > automatically.

    Are you using a different libcmt.lib to link with? The ones installed with
    the Visual Studio are in the Vc7\lib directory. If the LIB path is
    different, you could be linking with a different CRT.

    Cheerio!

    --
    Brandon Bray Visual C++ Compiler

    Brandon Bray [MSFT], Sep 28, 2003
  7. Olivier Lechenne

    Jeffrey Klug Guest

    You're probably mixing debug and release. That's a no-no.

    Jeffrey Klug, Sep 29, 2003
  8. Olivier Lechenne

    vijay_yande

    Joined: